Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a 4xe Rubicon, please see my price comparison between the standard Rubicon and 4xe.

Summary: with the federal and state (Colorado) tax credits I am saving around $6,648* with the 4xe. For states without additional tax credits the savings will be around $4148.

*corrected to adjust for Fulltime 4WD and JLUR Price changes from Jan 2021 Order guide

1. Some options have a higher price for 4xe compared to standard JLUR
  2. I have used the latest order guide for JLUR pricing and the build sheet from my dealer for 4xe pricing
  3. Colorado has an additional $2,500 state tax credit for PHEVs, only few states offer this now
Please see full analysis below: file link can be used for adding your options and doing the analysis.

I am looking at the 4XE vs the Eco-Diesel (also got quote for 2.0 and 3.6) and can confirm your numbers. the 4XE and the Eco-Diesel with the same build are almost identical, however there is the $7500 tax rebate that puts it ahead.

the 2.0 is roughly $4500 less up front, the 3.6 bsg is about $2750 less up front. however the $7500 rebate still ends up making the 4XE less overall by $3k and $4250 once you get the credit back.

I was already cross shopping the 4XE and Eco-Diesel, was leaning 3.0 since I was not sure I could get the same upfront discount on the 4XE but confirmed today I can. Now I'm hoping to find a 4XE and Eco-Diesel on the same lot to drive them back to back so I can order. If I can't find one, I hope there will be more reviews of it out by the 15th that compares the two.
Sponsored

NebulaPHEVJeep

First Name
Nebula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR 4xe

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Now I'm hoping to find a 4XE and Eco-Diesel on the same lot to drive them back to back so I can order. If I can't find one, I hope there will be more reviews of it out by the 15th that compares the two.
No need to drive em back to back. The difference is not subtle. Just get out and drive em wherever you can find them.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Mine is a brand new 2022 Rubicon 4xe and I do not have Body Color Fenders nor the full time 4wd. Was just built in March and delivered in April
You have 3 4WD modes: 4Auto (this is kind of like an AWD and I recommend it for all road driving). 4PT which is really your 4H. And then 4L. Both 4PT and 4L run the 4WD system while you are in them. 4 Part Time is just foolishly named. It’s Part Time because you shouldn’t be in it all the time, not because it only gives you 4WD part of the time….Drive in 4Auto so you can use all the power the engine has to offer. MPG impact is negligible. 2WD is torque limited. 4 PT is for wet, mud, off-road while higher speed while 4L is your crawler 20 mph and less mode.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
No need to drive em back to back. The difference is not subtle. Just get out and drive em wherever you can find them.
I actually did find a lot back then with every engine option at the time. For me it was a easy decision on the Diesel. 9 months later and I am 100% sure I made the right choice still. Nothing against the 4xE, but I really liked the diesel much more overall.

Sponsored

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I actually did find a lot back then with every engine option at the time. For me it was a easy decision on the Diesel. 9 months later and I am 100% sure I made the right choice still. Nothing against the 4xE, but I really liked the diesel much more overall.
Yeah, didn’t think you meant anything against. It’s just you definitely don’t need to side by side them for test drives. They are unique and different vehicles and they feel that on the road vs like a Honda CRV and the Honda CRV+ that has 10 extra HP and you can’t tell em apart.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, didn’t think you meant anything against. It’s just you definitely don’t need to side by side them for test drives. They are unique and different vehicles and they feel that on the road vs like a Honda CRV and the Honda CRV+ that has 10 extra HP and you can’t tell em apart.
have you driven all different combos? they for sure drive very different. while on paper they may be close, driving the different engine versions is noticeable. After having 3 of the 3.6 Liter JLURs, and now the Diesell and driving the 4xe and 2.0 (and 392, but that's a whole different ballgame) I would highly recommend anyone who is looking to buy a Jeep to drive all and pick the one they like most. Depending on your prior vehicles, or how you use your Wrangler you may have a clear preference.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
have you driven all different combos? they for sure drive very different. while on paper they may be close, driving the different engine versions is noticeable. After having 3 of the 3.6 Liter JLURs, and now the Diesell and driving the 4xe and 2.0 (and 392, but that's a whole different ballgame) I would highly recommend anyone who is looking to buy a Jeep to drive all and pick the one they like most. Depending on your prior vehicles, or how you use your Wrangler you may have a clear preference.
Agree completely. Didn’t drive the 2.0….also didn’t make them drag the 392 out of the showroom :D

NebulaPHEVJeep

First Name
Nebula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have 3 4WD modes: 4Auto (this is kind of like an AWD and I recommend it for all road driving).
Right, knew that, but it sounds like someone was suggesting there was a type of AWD mode, was what I meant. Sorry, communication failure.

As for driving in 4H Auto, I get much lower mileage so I choose not to unless it's raining, but that has been 3/4 of the time since we got it. :(

Still didn't get the color matched fenders, though. (And I think we were lied to by the dealer as they told us we could only get the color matched top.)

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Right, knew that, but it sounds like someone was suggesting there was a type of AWD mode, was what I meant. Sorry, communication failure.

As for driving in 4H Auto, I get much lower mileage so I choose not to unless it's raining, but that has been 3/4 of the time since we got it. :(

Still didn't get the color matched fenders, though. (And I think we were lied to by the dealer as they told us we could only get the color matched top.)
4Auto doesn't actually engage the front axle unless there is slippage. It's free spining 99.9% of the time. You really shouldn't lose any mileage at all. That's a very odd behavior if you are getting noticeably less MPG with it engaged. I never shift out of it, and with the warmer temps lately I'm up to 30 miles of range on a charge....

Sponsored

NebulaPHEVJeep

First Name
Nebula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Auto doesn't actually engage the front axle unless there is slippage. It's free spining 99.9% of the time. You really shouldn't lose any mileage at all. That's a very odd behavior if you are getting noticeably less MPG with it engaged. I never shift out of it, and with the warmer temps lately I'm up to 30 miles of range on a charge....
If I put it in E-Save, so that I can get "pure" gas mileage, these are my mileages"
2WD - +/- 17.5mpg
4WDa - +/- 14mpg

If I put it in Electric, the miles I get out of a full charge are:
2wd - 18m
4WDa - 12m

Do the same test and get back to me?

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
I for one appreciate you taking the time to do the analysis and show what you were paying, awesome job. Yet I know a couple of people that went to the 4xe and tried to convince me it was the greatest thing since slice bread. Yet I refused doesn't make sense too me especially after I purchased a Ram with the etorque that was suppose to save so much on fuel (it doesn't) I have to ask the 7500 Tax credit is it something you put up front and have to list as a personal tax the following year and you receive it or did you use it as a down payment? Keep the Jeep wave going.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y, Gladiator
I for one appreciate you taking the time to do the analysis and show what you were paying, awesome job. Yet I know a couple of people that went to the 4xe and tried to convince me it was the greatest thing since slice bread. Yet I refused doesn't make sense too me especially after I purchased a Ram with the etorque that was suppose to save so much on fuel (it doesn't) I have to ask the 7500 Tax credit is it something you put up front and have to list as a personal tax the following year and you receive it or did you use it as a down payment? Keep the Jeep wave going.
Ram with etorque is a lot different than the 4xe. I don't think anyone with a FCA etorque product really feels like that saves any gas or notices an appreciable increase in mpg. I think the biggest benefit to etorque is that auto start/stop is smoother but other than that I've always felt its worthless. 4xe is a significantly different system and completely incomparable to the etorque setups.

4xe is probably the best driving Wrangler because of the batteries down low and the sheer amount of power the electric motor and gas working together provides. Smoothest and cheapest to operate as a daily too - I was getting 750 miles per tank in mine with a 60 mile daily commute.

$7500 tax credit goes on your taxes when you file them the following year if you purchase OR if you lease gets applied up front (and then you can buy out with the payment taken out or just treat like a regular lease)

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Ram with etorque is a lot different than the 4xe. I don't think anyone with a FCA etorque product really feels like that saves any gas or notices an appreciable increase in mpg. I think the biggest benefit to etorque is that auto start/stop is smoother but other than that I've always felt its worthless. 4xe is a significantly different system and completely incomparable to the etorque setups.

4xe is probably the best driving Wrangler because of the batteries down low and the sheer amount of power the electric motor and gas working together provides. Smoothest and cheapest to operate as a daily too - I was getting 750 miles per tank in mine with a 60 mile daily commute.

$7500 tax credit goes on your taxes when you file them the following year if you purchase OR if you lease gets applied up front (and then you can buy out with the payment taken out or just treat like a regular lease)
Thanks for the information-but I do know the difference was referencing that it is a gimmick-the fuel saved non-existent and not really a smooth start/stop. Also I am glad you have seen an increase in MPG's- my next door has seen MPG increase as well since his been in the shop since April due to some electrical issues and another neighbor went with us in his JK this past weekend-since his new 4XE has some issues as well and the dealership has less than a clue to what's wrong. a Shame. They are both selling them as soon as they can-I'm just one of those people that believe you should never purchase a 1st year vehicle. Keep the Jeep wave going.
Sponsored