4xe Rubicon vs 2.0T Rubicon

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I'm going to be getting my wife the Tuscadero JLUR. But I want the 2.0T. This is not being offered on the normal Rubicon, only the Sport S and Sahara Altitude.

My question is: How've people liked the 4xe compared to the normal Rubi?

I'm soo damn close to putting money down on this new iteration of our Kailani it's not funny, but I just need to get the opinions of y'all, people I trust.

Mahalo in advance.
I currently own a 2020 2.0T JLUR, and a 2021 4XE JLUR.

I absolutely love the 4XE. It is a plug in hybrid, so you can drive 21ish miles in pure electric before the gas engine kicks in. Driving in near complete silence other than road and fan noise is much more pleasant that I expected. Most of our running around is not far away so in three weeks of running it we have used very little gas - usually only when we go beyond 21 miles or I'm driving and want to get everything kicked on at once to go way faster than a Jeep has any business doing.

The additional weight of the electric hardware also settles the jeep a bit more - the 4XE is much more pleasant to drive on the interstate than the 2.0T is.

For what you have described your wife is a perfect candidate for a 4XE - you will use very little gasoline. At least where I live with Electricity at $0.12/kwH using electric mode is like getting gas for under $2/gallon. Best of luck with your choice

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I currently own a 2020 2.0T JLUR, and a 2021 4XE JLUR.

I absolutely love the 4XE. It is a plug in hybrid, so you can drive 21ish miles in pure electric before the gas engine kicks in. Driving in near complete silence other than road and fan noise is much more pleasant that I expected. Most of our running around is not far away so in three weeks of running it we have used very little gas - usually only when we go beyond 21 miles or I'm driving and want to get everything kicked on at once to go way faster than a Jeep has any business doing.

The additional weight of the electric hardware also settles the jeep a bit more - the 4XE is much more pleasant to drive on the interstate than the 2.0T is.

For what you have described your wife is a perfect candidate for a 4XE - you will use very little gasoline. At least where I live with Electricity at $0.12/kwH using electric mode is like getting gas for under $2/gallon. Best of luck with your choice
I'm genuinely excited. It just smacked me earlier this week like a ton of bricks, as the depression of not getting the Hurricane powerplant was setting in.

"Well, when the next Bikini Pearl comes out, or the next cool color, we'll trade off the Tuscadero then and probably get the V8 or the 2.0T then..."

Then I thought of the 4xe... "Exactly how much more is it than what we're looking at for the 3.6 JLUR we're looking to order?

All this is exciting.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have another question: How does the $7500 tax credit work and how do I know if I'll qualify with the 4xe?

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I have another question: How does the $7500 tax credit work and how do I know if I'll qualify with the 4xe?
It can work in two ways:

1. You buy the 4xe, and then as long as you paid more than $7500 in taxes in 2021, when you file your return in 2022 you’ll get $7500 back netted with the rest of your return (I.e. if you own $2000 you’ll get $5500; if you had a return of $1500 you’ll get $9k). If you pay less than $7500 in taxes in 2021, you’ll get what you paid back up to $7500 (if you only paid $5k of taxes you’ll get $5k back).

2. you can lease the 4xe as I did and then they take the $7500 off the price of the Jeep when figuring the lease payment; someone pointed Out over a 36 month lease it’s worth about $200 a month of savings. Under this method it doesn’t matter your income or tax situation, the leasing company gets the credit and passes the savings on to you.

I’m an accountant but not a tax accountant, and not your accountant, so YMMV, consult a professional, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It can work in two ways:

1. You buy the 4xe, and then as long as you paid more than $7500 in taxes in 2021, when you file your return in 2022 you’ll get $7500 back netted with the rest of your return (I.e. if you own $2000 you’ll get $5500; if you had a return of $1500 you’ll get $9k). If you pay less than $7500 in taxes in 2021, you’ll get what you paid back up to $7500 (if you only paid $5k of taxes you’ll get $5k back).

2. you can lease the 4xe as I did and then they take the $7500 off the price of the Jeep when figuring the lease payment; someone pointed Out over a 36 month lease it’s worth about $200 a month of savings. Under this method it doesn’t matter your income or tax situation, the leasing company gets the credit and passes the savings on to you.

I’m an accountant but not a tax accountant, and not your accountant, so YMMV, consult a professional, etc.
No of course man. I wasn't holding you to that or anything, just looking for a generality.

Mahalo!

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Can I ask how the EV works? I thought it was a hybrid and the batteries charged on their own.

But there's also a charge port...

My wife will drive it the most and her "commute" is about 5 miles one way. Does this mean she can just use the EV for that?
Plug it in every night and she will never use gas on her commute. but thats the rub, you need a charger either at her work or home.
SO the plug in can give you dedicated 100% electric range of 25 miles or so. even if you do not do that, the 4Xe is still a hybrid. I was really confused when my wife bought her Audi plug in. Not a lot of companies clearly explain this. You do not need to charge it at all for it to still be a hybrid. I hear to get best performance, you can put it in 4wd Auto mode (this will most likely decrease the range of pure electric). I have the regular 2.0t mild hybrid and its an excellent setup. I have the 4Xe on order specifically because I have had a great experience with the regular 2.0t engine.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
the federal site says the max is available. also Idaho may offer additional rebates. I know California has $750. (but I dont think that will go against the lease deal. I think that is still at the end of the tax year.

Im not an accountant or a tax accountant. just an idiot with opinions. 😂

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
(this will most likely decrease the range of pure electric)
It doesn't make any noticeable difference to range. 4 auto spends its time in 2wd anyway, unless it needs all 4 wheels. It just makes a difference under heavy load since the 4xe limits torque in low gears in 2wd.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
It doesn't make any noticeable difference to range. 4 auto spends its time in 2wd anyway, unless it needs all 4 wheels. It just makes a difference under heavy load since the 4xe limits torque in low gears in 2wd.
That's what I kinda ASSumed but seeing how I don't have mine yet, I couldn't confirm. can you notice any "feel" difference when it switched from 2wd into 4hi (auto mode) ? I haven't looked into it but I assume the rock track transfer case with 4 auto is a different part number

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
That's what I kinda ASSumed but seeing how I don't have mine yet, I couldn't confirm. can you notice any "feel" difference when it switched from 2wd into 4hi (auto mode) ? I haven't looked into it but I assume the rock track transfer case with 4 auto is a different part number
I've never noticed any difference in feel between 2wd and 4 hi auto when its running in 2wd, if that's what you're asking

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
4Auto does engage the FAD, so it will spin the front axleshafts and driveshaft even in 2wd.

The 4Auto Tcase is the MP3022OR with the 4:1 reduction in the 4xe Rubi (or when optioned on the ICE Rubicon).
The other 4Autos (ICE optioned, 392, 4xe Sahara or High Altitude) are MP3022 with 2.72:1.
The standard part time case is either NV241 (2.72:1) or NV241OR (4:1).
Sponsored