4xe Rubicon MOPAR Lift and 35" Tire Install at Purchase

Retired Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I have a 4xe Rubicon on order that should be arriving at the dealer in the next 2-3 weeks. Originally, I planned to have the MOPAR 2" lift installed at the dealer, as well as having 35/11.50 Toyo AT3 tires mounted on the stock wheels at the same time. I have been reading some discouraging posts about the MOPAR lift only providing a minimal amount of lift on the 4xe Rubicon (not 2", as advertised), and also having issues with the front springs bowing into either the shocks or the sway bar links. Having concerns, I called the dealer (who claims to have delivered 50 or 60 4xe Jeeps this year) and asked both the service department and the sales rep I ordered through if they have installed the MOPAR lift on any 4xe Rubicons and if they have experienced any issues with the install. The service department said they have installed several and did not experience the issues I mentioned. The sales rep, however, said he cannot recall any 4xe Jeeps having the MOPAR lift installed. The same applies to the tires I want to have installed at the dealer (Toyo AT3 35/11.50) on the stock wheels. The sales rep said he did not recall any 4xe Jeeps he delivered having larger tires mounted either. He indicated the lack of lifts and larger tire installs was because most people are leasing the 4xe as opposed to buying.
Let me say also that I would prefer to have a MetalCloak 2.5 game changer lift, but they prioritized the 392 product line and have not yet come out with any products for the 4xe, and have no timeline for availability.
Finally to my questions: Has anyone had the MOPAR lift installed? If so, have you experienced any issues with the lift (i.e., did you achieve less than the advertised 2 inches of lift or have you had issues with the front springs bowing and contacting other parts of the Jeep). For anyone who has installed 35" tires on stock wheels, have you had any issues with rubbing or drivability? If someone had the TOYO "skinny" 35's installed, your experience would be especially helpful. Thanks...
Sponsored

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
Hi Dave.

I ran the Toyo Open Country MT 35s off my JK on my 4xe for a month or so with no lift. No rubbing, never went off road. Then I went with the 4xe Mopar lift.

I had big problems with the front springs on that lift. Ended up using Metalcloak 2.5 springs for the front from their Diesel kit with the rest of the Mopar lift. I stuck w the Mopar rear springs due to the battery weight. If you go Mopar you are doing it the right way having the dealer install it. Don’t take it home until it is right, make their bowing springs their problem.

BTW I called Metalcloak and all their JL kits use the same springs, they just have differing spacers on top of the spring. You might be fine with the 2.5 GameChanger and a 1 inch spacer in the rear to offset the spring compression. The dual rate springs from the MC kits ride much better on the highway, I am a big believer.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Mopar had identified the issue with the early release of the 4xe lift kit. It now comes with beefier springs to accommodate the added weight of the rig. You shouldn't experience any bowing of the springs now with the new parts.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Several confirmations on the 1” net lift from the mopar on the 4xe.
Rock Krawler confirmed they’ve got the 4xe springs ready in their product thread here, probably have to call them to get the part numbers.
I’d consider the 315/70r17 BFG KO2 c loads if keeping the stock rims, or the 285/75R17 if you want them skinny. Supposedly the AT3s are better than the Toyo AT2s, but the AT2 didn’t get great reviews.

OP
OP

Retired Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Dave.

I ran the Toyo Open Country MT 35s off my JK on my 4xe for a month or so with no lift. No rubbing, never went off road. Then I went with the 4xe Mopar lift.

I had big problems with the front springs on that lift. Ended up using Metalcloak 2.5 springs for the front from their Diesel kit with the rest of the Mopar lift. I stuck w the Mopar rear springs due to the battery weight. If you go Mopar you are doing it the right way having the dealer install it. Don’t take it home until it is right, make their bowing springs their problem.

BTW I called Metalcloak and all their JL kits use the same springs, they just have differing spacers on top of the spring. You might be fine with the 2.5 GameChanger and a 1 inch spacer in the rear to offset the spring compression. The dual rate springs from the MC kits ride much better on the highway, I am a big believer.
Unfortunately, I live about 2.5 hours from the dealership. All the dealers who are close charge MSRP or higher for factory orders. In any case, since I am 2.5 hours away, I would have to take the Jeep to a local dealer for any issues, so while the bowing springs would be covered under warranty, I am not confident the local dealer's service departments would be enthusiastic about dealing with my problems.
Since Metalcloak springs are all the same and only require different spacers, I have to wonder why they have not done exactly what you suggest and just include a 1 inch rear spring spacer for the diesel kit and call it a 4xe kit. Another issue with the Metalcloak lift involves the front driveshaft. Because of the amount of droop in their system, they recommend a front drive shaft replacement. If I am not mistaken, the 4xe has a different (shorter) front driveshaft than other Wrangler variants, so it is not something Metalcloak has available right now. Also, I am hesitant to make my own Frankenlift. I know others have done so and been successful, but I don't want to waste money on something I may have to replace. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I installed the Mopar suspension& took very careful measurements before & after. I got 1" lift.

The Fox shocks are better than the stock ones, but they could probably use more dampening for my tastes.

OP
OP

Retired Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Mopar suspension& took very careful measurements before & after. I got 1" lift.

The Fox shocks are better than the stock ones, but they could probably use more dampening for my tastes.
That is discouraging. I will probably not get the MOPAR lift at this point. If the 4xe comes with an additional inch of lift already, I should be able to fit the 35's I want on the stock rims without issue. I'll wait for Metalcloak to come out with a 4xe lift.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
That is discouraging. I will probably not get the MOPAR lift at this point. If the 4xe comes with an additional inch of lift already, I should be able to fit the 35's I want on the stock rims without issue. I'll wait for Metalcloak to come out with a 4xe lift.
I had the 35s mounted about a week prior to the lift with no issues. I did have +18mm offset wheels, but I don't think that would be an issue.

OP
OP

Retired Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the 35s mounted about a week prior to the lift with no issues. I did have +18mm offset wheels, but I don't think that would be an issue.
I ordered the tires and I am having them delivered to and installed by the dealer. They are 11.50 wide (as opposed to 12.50), so with the extra 4xe inch I am hoping I won't have any rubbing issues with the slightly narrower tire. I will hold off on the lift for now, maybe forever if I am satisfied with the stock height and 35/11.50's. I don't do any extreme rock crawling, so probably unnecessary for me unless the lift is just for looks. Thanks all for the replies.

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Metalcloak are testing their lift on this 4xe rubicon and are apparently very close to market if you just want to wait on them. I am leaning toward waiting on the AEV lift which should be early next year. I think the mopar lift is probably fine, but I think its a little overpriced considering what it accomplishes and consists of.

Re: tires - I'm just going to have the dealer throw some 35" falken wildpeak AT3s on without the lift. I'm going to have them put them on these wheels though as there is no manufacturer that recommends less than an 8" wheel for 35s, and I like the blacked out look better anyway. I have seen plenty of evidence that any stock rubicon can handle 35s with no lift and the 4XE sits an inch higher than any of the other Rubicons stock anyway (for whatever reason). I'll get a lift when something I actually want comes to market, but it should be fine until then.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Retired Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Metalcloak are testing their lift on this 4xe rubicon and are apparently very close to market if you just want to wait on them. I am leaning toward waiting on the AEV lift which should be early next year. I think the mopar lift is probably fine, but I think its a little overpriced considering what it accomplishes and consists of.

Re: tires - I'm just going to have the dealer throw some 35" falken wildpeak AT3s on without the lift. I'm going to have them put them on these wheels though as there is no manufacturer that recommends less than an 8" wheel for 35s, and I like the blacked out look better anyway. I have seen plenty of evidence that any stock rubicon can handle 35s with no lift and the 4XE sits an inch higher than any of the other Rubicons stock anyway (for whatever reason). I'll get a lift when something I actually want comes to market, but it should be fine until then.

Thanks for the link. Also, Toyo recommends 7.5-9.0-10.0 wide rims for their Open Country AT3 in 35/11.50/17. Since the stock wheel is a 7.5, I should be good. They are also C rated, and lighter than many other options in 35" at 63 lb. There are only a couple tire manufacturers out there that make an 11.50 wide tire that are 35's. I am not sure how many of them are rated for a 7.5 rim though.

Last edited:

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Thanks for the link. Also, Toyo recommends 7.5-9.0-10.0 wide rims for their Open Country AT3 in 35/11.50/17. Since the stock wheel is a 7.5, I should be good. They are also C rated, and lighter than many other options in 35" at 63 lb. There are only a couple tire manufacturers out there that make an 11.50 wide tire that are 35's. I am not sure how many of them are rated for a 7.5 rim though.

Oh, wow. I legit, did not realize anyone made 35s that narrow. I'll look into them for sure as that would really save some money if I dont have to buy those mojave wheels.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Oh, wow. I legit, did not realize anyone made 35s that narrow. I'll look into them for sure as that would really save some money if I dont have to buy those mojave wheels.
Kenda Klever RT's come in 35x10.5/17 as well.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
hmm, I wonder If I can get these or the Toyos from the dealer instead. I really like the falkens but I like the idea of a narrower tire for the gas mileage
Buy them off eBay and have them sent to your dealer for install, or whatever you're place you use. That's likely what I'm going to do.
Sponsored