vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles
(500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km),
speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are
desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within
the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good
break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low
gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

Does that mean first 60 miles LESS THAN 50-55MPH???

Does that mean only up to 50-55 MPH for miles 60-300?

What the hell is "Drive Moderately"?

I have owned many new vehicles, very strange break - in instructions......
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Don't go mudding, racing etc.

It's along the same line as coffee cups having to put a label like "contents are hot".

Or the Wrangler tops having a label that says the roof is only to protect from the elements.

MDawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I will hopefully be picking mine up in the next couple months. I plan to run mine in e-save with the "charge battery" mode active during the break in to maximize the time the engine is running during those 300 miles. I drove 45 mph during the first 60 miles when I picked up my daughters regular Sahara, then went to ~55 mph from 60-300 miles. Did not use the cruise control because break in is really about RPM variation. Saw a trick to use the cruise control. Drop it in to manual and vary the gear, so I'll be utilizing that on my trip back with the 4xe.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Does that mean first 60 miles LESS THAN 50-55MPH???

Does that mean only up to 50-55 MPH for miles 60-300?

I have owned many new vehicles, very strange break - in instructions......

Seriously?...
Maybe the 4Xe isn't for you...

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
For a proper break in, I recommend testing the skid plates, making sure the lockers work in a steep up and downhill, and some brush scratches.

Rocky Gap Trail should work, you'll need the BOH app.

Seriously, though, we just drove it moderately (avoid WOT) for the first while. Has to be better than what I did with the Ram, which was tow a boat a thousand miles two days after I picked it up.

SERVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 & 2022 Wrangler 4xe on order
Has to be better than what I did with the Ram, which was tow a boat a thousand miles two days after I picked it up.
Sounds like a proper break in to me :CWL:

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
F that, im picking mine this sat and its two hours away from my home. We're getting to know each other real well on the highway and then some when I find mud after :D

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
I personally ran about 1500 miles of ICE use varying speed and RPMs in increments before I was satisfied with the break in (500, 1000, 1500). I came from a pair of Hellcat Chargers and a WK2 Hemi before this where the break in is a little more stringent (more so the Hellcats) so I wanted to be sure everything was properly settled before I started taking full advantage of driving daily on electric only. Iā€™d like to think itā€™s worked out for me since my motor runs smooth as silk but who knows. Iā€™m definitely not afraid to stomp on it or romp around off road now.

Just my .02 but might be worth running the ICE more initially so itā€™s less likely to be a concern later. With as much credit as I give Jeep for creating the 4xe platform, Iā€™m of the opinion that they left a lot of grey area with the 2.0L break in. Whether it was intentional or not, I didnā€™t want to take a chance of it becoming an issue later.

Sponsored

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
I personally ran about 1500 miles of ICE use varying speed and RPMs in increments before I was satisfied with the break in (500, 1000, 1500). I came from a pair of Hellcat Chargers and a WK2 Hemi before this where the break in is a little more stringent (more so the Hellcats) so I wanted to be sure everything was properly settled before I started taking full advantage of driving daily on electric only. Iā€™d like to think itā€™s worked out for me since my motor runs smooth as silk but who knows. Iā€™m definitely not afraid to stomp on it or romp around off road now.

Just my .02 but might be worth running the ICE more initially so itā€™s less likely to be a concern later. With as much credit as I give Jeep for creating the 4xe platform, Iā€™m of the opinion that they left a lot of grey area with the 2.0L break in. Whether it was intentional or not, I didnā€™t want to take a chance of it becoming an issue later.
This is great advice. I just traded in my 2018 JLUR and while I'm loving pure electric mode right now, I think it might be wise to run in e-Save and break in the 2.0 properly. Thanks!

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
When I had my engine remanufactured for my TJ the engine shop was super strict and serious about the break n period. Their bread and butter is making high performance race car engines so I trust them.

and if you donā€™t want to deal with a break in period then buy a diesel ;)
Sponsored