Sponsored

4XE Rear Seat Legroom

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
You might check out the thread on overlanding without a roof rack. AKA: How to stuff your Jeep to the gills! I wrote this post with some tips and products that have helped us to maximize storage when camping:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sky-onetouch-top-challenge.67162/post-1464894

If youā€™re still on the fence about the 4xe, you might find a couple of these products might make up for the few cubic feet of lost space in the 4xe. Good luck!
We have a very similar setup already mi us the cooler. that is how I am almost 100% sure it will not fit. with the 4xe, your current setup may not work in there either. the storage side we have only had about 2" room at the bottom of the back seat, and touched at the top. I think with the new rear seat and less space that will be the issue. I also have removable storage for all my trail gear, it will fit, but i'll lose the few inches that I used to have to fit a soft bag beside it.

I really, really want the 4XE to work, but it is not looking hopeful based on what I have seen so far. I still think it is going to be one of the better platforms to have, just not practical for us.
Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
We have a very similar setup already mi us the cooler. that is how I am almost 100% sure it will not fit. with the 4xe, your current setup may not work in there either. the storage side we have only had about 2" room at the bottom of the back seat, and touched at the top. I think with the new rear seat and less space that will be the issue. I also have removable storage for all my trail gear, it will fit, but i'll lose the few inches that I used to have to fit a soft bag beside it.

I really, really want the 4XE to work, but it is not looking hopeful based on what I have seen so far. I still think it is going to be one of the better platforms to have, just not practical for us.
I hear ya. And youā€™re right, Iā€™m not sure if the fridge from our 2018 JLU Sahara is going to fit in the 4xe either (at least not lengthwise like that!). Iā€™ll confirm once I take delivery of our 4xe, hopefully in early May.

How about adding some roof rack bars to a 4xe to hold a lightweight Thule or Yakima storage trunk? You could throw a bunch of your lightweight items up there, and not mess with the COG much at all. The loss of interior storage capacity has been my biggest pain point on this purchase as well.

But Iā€™ve discovered that I can give up that lost storage a bit more easily knowing that US taxpayers are giving me a $7,500 tax subsidy to buy the 4xe ($4,148 net cost benefit as per this thread):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ubicon-price-analysis-with-tax-credits.63740/

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya. And youā€™re right, Iā€™m not sure if the fridge from our 2018 JLU Sahara is going to fit in the 4xe either (at least not lengthwise like that!). Iā€™ll confirm once I take delivery of our 4xe, hopefully in early May.

How about adding some roof rack bars to a 4xe to hold a lightweight Thule or Yakima storage trunk? You could throw a bunch of your lightweight items up there, and not mess with the COG much at all. The loss of interior storage capacity has been my biggest pain point on this purchase as well.

But Iā€™ve discovered that I can give up that lost storage a bit more easily knowing that US taxpayers are giving me a $7,500 tax subsidy to buy the 4xe ($4,148 net cost benefit as per this thread):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ubicon-price-analysis-with-tax-credits.63740/
I think the 4XE will be the best option for a lot of Jeep buyers, and has the potential to be a game changer. I like everything about it except the range, and the rear storage space.

It is not uncommon for me to drive 16-20 hours straight through to a destination. the eco-diesel highway range was always a selling point, and the 370 total mile range on the 4XE was a negitive. all things equal I was planning on the 4XE as it was the same price (before the tax rebate) and had similar tq. numbers. however the space issue does tilt me back to the Eco-diesel for "My" Wrangler purchase. for our second vehicle that is driven around town etc. I am now considering the 4XE. the lease deals on them are pretty attractive, and I would still have the hybrid jeep I can use on local trails where I will not need the lift and 37s ill have on my other Jeep.

We always have 1 new vehicle and a paid off one. I was going to finiance this JL, and then pay cash for my wifes car. however now I may pay cash for the Eco-diesel and then finiance her a 4XE. if I do it via my credit union I get the low lease payment, and get to claim the full Tax rebate. I just have to get her to like the 4XE more than a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the V8, or the other cars she is wanting.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
It is not uncommon for me to drive 16-20 hours straight through to a destination. the eco-diesel highway range was always a selling point, and the 370 total mile range on the 4XE was a negitive.
I have never understood why people do this with electrified vehicles. There's an obvious answer - it's not for your use case, not yet. At least you're not completely shitting on the idea of it like so many folks do.

As to your other point, why anyone would by a GC right now given the new one is knocking at the door I cannot possibly understand. Just make sure your wife knows the 4xe is the newest and the GC is going away.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have never understood why people do this with electrified vehicles. There's an obvious answer - it's not for your use case, not yet. At least you're not completely shitting on the idea of it like so many folks do.

As to your other point, why anyone would by a GC right now given the new one is knocking at the door I cannot possibly understand. Just make sure your wife knows the 4xe is the newest and the GC is going away.
We had a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk before our 1st JLUR, and is still my wife's favorite vehicle. As far as the next version, I would not buy a first year Grand Cherokee, and we typically get a new Vehicle every year or 2 max. So she could get a wk2 now, and then by 2023/2024 model year we could swap to the new platform.

I am not against the 4XE at all. I fact I am disappointed it wont work for me, but also know the negitives of the JL platform after having 3 and don't want to buy one that does not dix something I was not thrilled about in my last one.

Honestly I would love a full electric JL with a low COG like most EVs have. I think that could make one heck of a trail rig.

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
so hopefully this helps folks. I went and measured a Rubi 4xe at the dealer and then made the same measurements on my JLUR.

I was going to post photos - but put it down on paper as itā€™s easier to see.

seems to me that the xe seats are around 2ā€œ longer and 1ā€œ higher.

having said that the xe seats seem to angle up more, so maybe less headroom taken away from where your butt is ;)

also there is around 5ā€ less in the back cargo area to where the bump starts - I need to double check that as it doesnā€™t make too much sense

i did the below with the drivers seat all the way back on the track and vertical all the way forward.

Edit: YMMV with regards to my measuring skills - suggest people go put a butt in the seat and check it out, but in the meantime hopefully somewhat helpful.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 715DAEB2-D6AD-45AF-BF7F-BC143D055F83

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
so hopefully this helps folks. I went and measured a Rubi 4xe at the dealer and then made the same measurements on my JLUR.

having said that the xe seats seem to angle up more, so maybe less headroom taken away from where your butt is ;)

also there is around 5ā€ less in the back cargo area to where the bump starts - I need to double check that as it doesnā€™t make too much sense

i did the below with the drivers seat all the way back on the track and vertical all the way forward.

Those are great measurements. The distance lost at the bottom of the cargo area will also be less than midpoint and top since the rear seat reclines a bit.

Seeing them side by side should help people for sure. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe

Edit: YMMV with regards to my measuring skills - suggest people go put a butt in the seat and check it out, but in the meantime hopefully somewhat helpful.

Very good. Thanks for that. I actually like that the rear seats are a little higher. One thing I noticed sitting in the back. I am also guessing that the 18" on the xe seat will actually be more comfortable. We have a Rav4 and I hate the seats being so short. In reality your leg room would mostly be from the seat back forward. Might explain why Jeep says the same leg room.

Like you said I don't quite understand the 5" but will have to measure when I get a chance.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
As they say - the numbers donā€™t lie ....

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 4D333C04-2EA5-4279-B8F7-768151192299

last missing measurement is from the back of the top of the seat (below headrest) to the back tailgate / window. we can see the loss at the bottom, I wonder about the top since there is a recline.

great additional pictures.

Sponsored

4xemtb

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Thanks for posting this!
So the back of the rear seat in the 4xe is about 5" thicker in the 4xe?
Waiting for my delivery, not stoked to loose that much cargo space but being able to drive a JLU for my daily drive on pure electric will help me get over it!

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
As they say - the numbers donā€™t lie ....

These are great! Thanks so much! If you are taking requests šŸ˜‹ ... Iā€™d love to know the distance from the top of the tailgate to the seat backs at that same height (17ā€ from the floor). So similar to what @Cypher was asking except a bit lower. Thatā€™s where the Diabolical Slipstream sits and Iā€™m obsessing over figuring out if the main panels will fit.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
These are great! Thanks so much! If you are taking requests šŸ˜‹ ... Iā€™d love to know the distance from the top of the tailgate to the seat backs at that same height (17ā€ from the floor). So similar to what @Cypher was asking except a bit lower. Thatā€™s where the Diabolical Slipstream sits and Iā€™m obsessing over figuring out if the main panels will fit.
Maybe one of the folks who have one can pipe in - I think this dealer has had enough of me crawling all over his new jeep xe ;)

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Maybe one of the folks who have one can pipe in - I think this dealer has had enough of me crawling all over his new jeep xe ;)
Oh LOL I missed the part where it wasnā€™t yours! Good call! Haha

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Iā€™ll take a tape measure out in a little bit.
Sponsored