4XE Rear Seat Legroom

txbd75k

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
It actually looks like the rear seat bottom and back is carry over from the Gladiator. the JT has a very similar design seat from what i can tell.
We got our Wrangler Sahara 4xe 2 weeks ago and are pretty impressed with it.

We ordered weathertech mats and found that the back seat floor mat and the cargo liner mat did not fit. Looks like the leg room is 2-4 inches shorter than a standard Sahara. WeatherTech said I was the third person to call with this problem because of the back seat size - they haven't (as of today 4/19/21) gotten to a dealer and measured the 4xe dimension to create a new back seat floor mat and a cargo area liner.

The trick is that the battery is under the whole back seat - it looks like they made the back seat a few inches wider in the front and a few inches wider in the back. So I measured these spaces:

To measure leg room, I put the front seat all the way back and measured from the back of the front seat to the back seat cushion, which measured about 8". In the cargo area, I measured from the spot where the floor turns up sharply at the back of the rear seat, to the rubber gasket around the back door and got about 32 inches
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 4xe Cargo area
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 4xe Back Seat Leg Room
. I attached pics of these two areas.

If someone can send the measurements for a 2021 non-4xe wrangler, we'll know how the rear leg room changed.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
We got our Wrangler Sahara 4xe 2 weeks ago and are pretty impressed with it.

We ordered weathertech mats and found that the back seat floor mat and the cargo liner mat did not fit. Looks like the leg room is 2-4 inches shorter than a standard Sahara. WeatherTech said I was the third person to call with this problem because of the back seat size - they haven't (as of today 4/19/21) gotten to a dealer and measured the 4xe dimension to create a new back seat floor mat and a cargo area liner.

The trick is that the battery is under the whole back seat - it looks like they made the back seat a few inches wider in the front and a few inches wider in the back. So I measured these spaces:

To measure leg room, I put the front seat all the way back and measured from the back of the front seat to the back seat cushion, which measured about 8". In the cargo area, I measured from the spot where the floor turns up sharply at the back of the rear seat, to the rubber gasket around the back door and got about 32 inches
4xe Cargo area.jpg
4xe Back Seat Leg Room.jpg
. I attached pics of these two areas.

If someone can send the measurements for a 2021 non-4xe wrangler, we'll know how the rear leg room changed.
here is a pic of the cargo area for my old 2020 JLUR. i think this shows how much space is lost. look at the gap between the furthest back eyelet for tie downs in the 2020, and then look at it in the 4xe. It appears the 4xe eyelet is right at the back ledge, however in the 2020 it has quite a few inches. (If I remember it was 38" or 39" for that back measurement)

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom C29E8735-039D-48E4-BEFE-AA1F3AEF03D1

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude
Seat pushed all the way back. The recline angle probably also matters so hard to compare easily.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom CE81284B-CF2D-4F64-AD70-F1C7D6BC51BB
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 5AFFBAD9-94F1-49DB-96D0-E256330A708D

OP
OP

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
This is good info. It looks like we‘ll lose a couple inches of legroom and a few more inches in the cargo area. Thanks for taking these measurements!

Upnover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does anyone have an arb fridge 50qt to see if it fits in the back? Because of the seat slant, not sure if there is enough room for the fridge to sit length wise.

Sponsored

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Yeah I will be honest... I didn't think about any leg room change when buying the 4xe but now that I have it I can confirm that it is TIGHT back there. I wouldn't say any tighter than the JK, but you lose whatever was gained with the JL for sure. Comfortable for kids for sure. I haven't sat back there but I am 6 feet on the nose, maybe more leg than torso, and I can't say I'd be able to sit back there by just looking. I'll try today and report back.

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
The first gap between seats was about 10”. Also important is the length of the seat itself. I put the end of the tape measure up against the metal hook for the car seat and it looks like seat length is about 16”. If the 4xe seat is longer by a couple inches or so then the seat to seat distance might be similar. This distance is really what will matter for rear seat room. The gap between seats is probably more visual.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 1673BBA2-1BF5-4631-BBC8-655F7DBAB4F1

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Interesting point... I'd guess you may be right that the actual seat space is the same, but the longer cushion might make it harder to get in and out and feel tighter around your calf space. Probably not a problem for kids and smaller folks... guys with deadlifter calves might find it tight. But I have no intention of EVER sitting in the back of the Jeep... so I don't care.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yeah I will be honest... I didn't think about any leg room change when buying the 4xe but now that I have it I can confirm that it is TIGHT back there. I wouldn't say any tighter than the JK, but you lose whatever was gained with the JL for sure. Comfortable for kids for sure. I haven't sat back there but I am 6 feet on the nose, maybe more leg than torso, and I can't say I'd be able to sit back there by just looking. I'll try today and report back.
This is a bummer....I had no idea they would be decreasing the legroom. This is the first vehicle I've bought sight unseen. Guess I should have waited and test drove it first with the family. Wanted it to be a big surprise for everyone though, so I just got caught up in the hype and ordered one over the internet. Oh well, picking it up soon so we'll find out....

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
This is a bummer....I had no idea they would be decreasing the legroom. This is the first vehicle I've bought sight unseen. Guess I should have waited and test drove it first with the family. Wanted it to be a big surprise for everyone though, so I just got caught up in the hype and ordered one over the internet. Oh well, picking it up soon so we'll find out....
Yeah I went sight unseen as well. I don't want to freak you out... for kids it is plenty generous. It is a Wrangler at the end of the day... and space is not what you buy it for right!? Nobody feels cramped when the roof is back and the doors are off!

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I was really looking forward to the 4XE, but due to the redesigned rear seat, and less cargo area it will not work for my family's use case. we travel a LOT, and losing that space in the cargo area is the biggest concern. the lack or rear legroom / space is less than ideal but we could have made it work. the rear cargo area however is a dealbreaker for us. We were barley able to cram everything into my regular JLURs rear cargo area, and with the 4XE it's not even close. I plan to continue to follow the thread as this may make a good second vehicle for us for daily driving, but it will not be our main vehicle for trips and off-road. (I will be buying 2 vehicles in the next year, so this still is a consideration for #2). Since this won't work for our main adventure rig, I will go to my backup of an Eco-Diesel JLUR. now just to decide if I order right now, or wait for May/ June to see if new colors come out, or the 2022 for any major changes. I have a feeling I will just order now as I sold my 2020 last year and I am ready to get back out.

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
I was really looking forward to the 4XE, but due to the redesigned rear seat, and less cargo area it will not work for my family's use case. we travel a LOT, and losing that space in the cargo area is the biggest concern. the lack or rear legroom / space is less than ideal but we could have made it work. the rear cargo area however is a dealbreaker for us. We were barley able to cram everything into my regular JLURs rear cargo area, and with the 4XE it's not even close. I plan to continue to follow the thread as this may make a good second vehicle for us for daily driving, but it will not be our main vehicle for trips and off-road. (I will be buying 2 vehicles in the next year, so this still is a consideration for #2). Since this won't work for our main adventure rig, I will go to my backup of an Eco-Diesel JLUR. now just to decide if I order right now, or wait for May/ June to see if new colors come out, or the 2022 for any major changes. I have a feeling I will just order now as I sold my 2020 last year and I am ready to get back out.
You might be overthinking the cargo difference... maybe a few inches max difference. Time for a roof rack!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
You might be overthinking the cargo difference... maybe a few inches max difference. Time for a roof rack!
i was barley able to fit things into my 19 and 20. I thought about a roof rack, but that adds a lot of drag and high weight and would not be ideal for harder trails. I am not 100% done with the 4XE yet, but i'm pretty sure I will just by the Diesel. I will be checking it out in person before I order to see if our Luggage and trail gear cargo boxes fit. based on the information I have seen so far, they will not.

Last edited:

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
i was barley able to fit things into my 19 and 20. I thought about a roof rack, but that adds a lot of drag and high weight and would not be ideal for harder trails. I am not 100% done with the 4XE yet, but i'm pretty sure I will just by the Diesel. I will be checking it out in person before I order to see if our Luggage and trail gear cargo boxes fit. based on the information I have seen so far, they will not.
You might check out the thread on overlanding without a roof rack. AKA: How to stuff your Jeep to the gills! I wrote this post with some tips and products that have helped us to maximize storage when camping:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sky-onetouch-top-challenge.67162/post-1464894

If you’re still on the fence about the 4xe, you might find a couple of these products might make up for the few cubic feet of lost space in the 4xe. Good luck!

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I just went down today to look at a 4xe on the lot. I did jump up in the rear seat. I am 5'9" and it would be fine for me with the front seats back. Much over 6' and it may get a little tight.
The front seats are very comfortable and I will never be in the back seat so not much of an issue with me.
Sponsored