Sponsored

4XE Rear Seat Legroom

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I've noticed in a few videos that new 4XE owners are hinting there isn't as much legroom in the rear seat. In the pics below it looks like the seat extends further out and sits higher. Is anyone able to confirm how much legroom is lost and if it will impact adults sitting in the rear seat.

2021 Sahara:

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 1618264553095

2021 Sahara 4XE:

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Rear Seat Legroom 1618264629353
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
The angles on the photos are different so hard to tell which way it is.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More than an inch less headroom in the 4Xe but leg room is .1 inches less in 4Xe.

Definite drop in cargo room.

OP
OP

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've watched his review. I don't know how the specs would be wrong. Now with less headroom, it definitely could have the feel of being smaller. I think one of the TFL videos also made mention of it seeming smaller. I may drive my current one by the dealership and check it out as they have a few 4Xe in stock. I looked in the Rubicon version and the leg room didn't jump out to me as being less but I don't ride in the back either.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
It didn't seem any different to me with the Rubicon I checked out on Saturday but I'm not a big enough guy where those small changes would matter.

OP
OP

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I've watched his review. I don't know how the specs would be wrong. Now with less headroom, it definitely could have the feel of being smaller. I think one of the TFL videos also made mention of it seeming smaller. I may drive my current one by the dealership and check it out as they have a few 4Xe in stock. I looked in the Rubicon version and the leg room didn't jump out to me as being less but I don't ride in the back either.
I wonder how it could be tested. Move the drive seat all the way forward and upright for each model and then measure from the cushion to the seat? It also looks like you won’t be able to do the rear seat recline mod unless they come out with something new.

OP
OP

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
It didn't seem any different to me with the Rubicon I checked out on Saturday but I'm not a big enough guy where those small changes would matter.
It might be a small difference but it may impact adults sitting in the rear seat. At 3:35 in the video below it shows it a little better.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting. I did see those specs but in this video at about the 2:10 mark it shows there may be less room. Just wanted to see if anyone who has sat in both could tell a noticeable difference.
The reason that the observed change doesn’t appear to match the change in stated specification is because of how rear seat legroom is measured. It is the distance from the front of the rear seat’s back rest to the back of the front seat (with the front seat in its most forward position). So really we’re talking about the position and thickness of the rear seat back rest relative to thickness and position of the front seat.

What we can see in the pictures/videos is a decrease in the distance between the leading edge of the back seat bottom cushion and the back of the front seat. That decrease, while certainly noticeable, isn’t considered when measuring legroom.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
The reason that the observed change doesn’t appear to match the change in stated specification is because of how rear seat legroom is measured. It is the distance from the front of the rear seat’s back rest to the back of the front seat (with the front seat in its most forward position). So really we’re talking about the position and thickness of the rear seat back rest relative to thickness and position of the front seat.

What we can see in the pictures/videos is a decrease in the distance between the leading edge of the back seat bottom cushion and the back of the front seat. That decrease, while certainly noticeable, isn’t considered when measuring legroom.
That makes sense. I wonder if the placement of the rear cushion hinge is what makes it sit further out which then limits the actual legroom you have. This may be something that could be modified to gain that space back.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
That makes sense. I wonder if the placement of the rear cushion hinge is what makes it sit further out which then limits the actual legroom you have. This may be something that could be modified to gain that space back.
0.1" difference? Who's really noticing that? As far as headroom, I see there are two dimensions for the 4xe, with hard top and with soft top, but only one dimension listed for the other. Which is it?

OP
OP

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
0.1" difference? Who's really noticing that? As far as headroom, I see there are two dimensions for the 4xe, with hard top and with soft top, but only one dimension listed for the other. Which is it?
I think what RubiTuesday said above would explain why the actual legroom may be less while numbers show they are the same. I suspect the cushion may be larger due to the battery and the hinges probably play a part. The cushion also can't go back as far as in a regular Sahara also because it has to flip out to access the battery. My 4XE should be arriving soon but I currently don't have a Wrangler to measure it against.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It actually looks like the rear seat bottom and back is carry over from the Gladiator. the JT has a very similar design seat from what i can tell.
Sponsored