First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
About 6" high with a pull out drawer, tie down rings on top... I'd sure buy one.
Sponsored

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Here's what I've been working on. The area over where the seat was is as low as I could get it as it will be the "ground floor" once the Ursa is installed. I still need to carpet that area as well with some outdoor carpet.

This is a v1 for this year as I will likely take it apart next winter to replace the stock trap door over the cargo well in the back (I didnt realize it was cardboard till I will to trim it) and will likely rebuild the tops of the front and back sections out of richlite or similar, for waterproofing and durability. Considering I had no clue what I was doing I'm pretty happy with v1 so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) image_50457089.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) image_67188993.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) image_67175681.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) image_50439169.JPG

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
hi, how high is the platform?
i have a basket in the back, height is limited......
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 271050645_10159042501069405_6011333903735673135_n

thanks op for your building skills 😎 ✌
The uprights are 1x8s so they are actually 7 1/4" so with the 1/2" ply its 7 3/4"

Sponsored

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious how ya'll are doing with your platforms. Any lessons learned, suggestions for improvements? I think I'll be ripping my rear seat out this weekend because I've got to pick up my LoD rear bumper/tire carrier from the freight terminal.

I'll probably be doing something with 2x2 pine for now. I just can't justify over $600 in extrusions alone, as cool as your work is @bodhi, but I thank you for your measurements!

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I'm getting started on my platform project, with a little demolition to clear out some space.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658620975379

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658621030822

I've put the nuts back on the rear seat/belt bolts to show the upper clearance limit - I intend to eventually make the platform level with these, and retain them for resale.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658621174710

When I reinstalled the trim around the battery (critical because there's exposed coolant hoses), I found a protruding plastic piece that I'll probably trim off.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658621297651

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I found @bodhi's write up very useful for removing the seat pieces. I just used the door tool kit to remove the torx hinge bolts, which were not very tight. Impact was definitely needed on the 18mm seat bracket bolts & nuts. You wouldn't really need to separate the bottom and top seat cushions at the hinges if you have a buddy to lift the whole seat out as one piece. As it was, I took it apart as much as I could to get it out the back by myself - all the weight is in the back for seat belts & LATCH anchors. I drilled the spot welds on the three rear trim panel brackets - that's totally overkill for that little piece at the back of the seat.

My next steps are to get dimensions for plywood and something like furring strips or 2x2's. I do want to keep weight off the battery case, I just don't think they designed that cover to be load bearing, so I will retain at least the outboard seat brackets, which don't protrude farther than the battery itself.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I had a productive day:

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658726271341

I used 2x2's and plywood, nuthin' fancy. One layer of 2x2's over the battery. Notched a little bit for the seat latches and protruding seat back bolts. That's a real advantage of wood over extrusion. There's a frame for both the front and back so they can be removed separately, or lifted up to access the storage compartment.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658726482271

In the back there's a double layer of 2x2's and they're bracketed to the trail rail holes. Sorry guess I don't have a pic of that yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658726650161

I'll be taking it out to sand and paint sometime soon, will show more details then.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658726919204

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 1658726939290

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This thread needs to be revived. I think this deck can be accomplished with out all the framing as seen by GooseGear. The deck could use standoffs as thick as where the bolts for the seats retain and or indents in the bottom side of the deck. The deck could also mount directly to the battery supports and can be supported with end plates by the battery cover plates, this front section could also be 2 piece for battery access.

I'm surprised Decked, Goosegear doesn't make one yet like the 40/60 split.

Here is where my platform build is after a few weeks. (Still a work in progress as of June 7 2021)

After removing the battery trim (post by @jetfixer) and rear seats this is what I stared at for many hours. I also removed the rear panel the covers the storage space (you just pull it straight out toward the tailgate) and side trim pieces that have the tie downs.

My goals are

1. A totally level platform across the back for camping, napping, hauling lumber/tools and a nice place for our future dogs to ride.
2. Separate rear platform and over battery platform so if the battery need service, it can be removed easily while keeping the rear platform in place
3. A nice fit and finish
4. Pull out drawer/table
5. ability to extend the platform when the front seats are pushed all the way forward
6. Protect the battery
7. Not offend any goose loving citizens or either Canada or the US

I have only needed a few tools for this so far, a chop saw with an aluminum cutting blade, a jig saw, a drill and some 5/16th and 8mm taps.

I went back and forth many times as to what material I would use to make the platform. After going back and forth between a welded aluminum substructure, to all plywood, to aluminum extrusion to fabricating it out of unobtanium, I finally decide to use some 8020 aluminum extrusion.

I started ripping some 2x4's to 1-1/2" by 1 -1/2" to match the dimensions of the 15 series aluminum extrusions so I could get some measurements and do a reality check on my idea.

You can see in the rear section, I realized that 3 inches height was perfect to level the back with the part over the battery, so I ordered some double height extrusions for the rear, the photo below shows me test fitting the cut extrusions. (So far, I have ordered parts from McMaster, Tnutz and 8020)

The photo below shows a little more progress and how I am using leveling feet to achieve adjustability across the platform

I eventually drilled out the spot welds on the three battery trim brackets as well, just took my time with a pilot drill then a 5/16'ths bit and some 4in1 oil to keep things cool and a rag to keep the chips from falling down under the battery. It went very smoothly, and I bought some nutserts to put in the holes in case I ever need to put the brackets back. I did put a endoscope camera in the channel these brackets were welded to just to make sure there was nothing electrical in the channel.

The left and right rear extrusions are bolted in using the factory tie down bolts, and the over battery platform is bolted down using the seat bracket bolts.

I kept the driver and passenger factory steel brackets in place to use as some extra support

I wanted a way to extend the platform when the seats were moved all the way forward, so these are removable, and I think I might put some sides on them and they can also be boxes for storage. The aluminum vertical supports on the over the battery platform are just temporary (waiting for parts), as well as the wooden vertical supports on the extensions.

I plan to put leveling feet on all the vertical supports, I tapped the vertical support to accept these leveling feet, the photo below shows to M8 uneven surface leveling feet.

Any place the extrusion touches the jeep, and on the removable extensions, I used the rubber traction inserts they sell to protect the paint and the seatbacks

Next, after spending some time making a cardboard template, I cut out the rear plywood platform, this is 1/2 inch (12mm) baltic birch to start, I may go with 3/4 inch eventually.

That is where things are at the moment, still waiting for some parts. I will try and do a sketch with the dimensions so far.

Happy to help with any questions you might have for your own build.

Future plans
- Drawers/Pull out table under rear deck with locking drawer slides
- Access panels for some of the storage space
- CNC plans for the wood portion so I can get an even more precise fit
- Line-x/rhino the plywood parts to reduce glare and water resistance

Sponsored

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
@bodhi - is that L bracket that you used to bolt down the front part of the T-slot frame to the seat bracket something you bought from 8020? Did you have to bore it out to fit the stud?

OP
OP
bodhi

bodhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
@bodhi - is that L bracket that you used to bolt down the front part of the T-slot frame to the seat bracket something you bought from 8020? Did you have to bore it out to fit the stud?
It was a bracket I got from 8020, and yes, I did have to drill out the hole to be able to get the bracket over the big factory seat bolts.

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a bracket I got from 8020, and yes, I did have to drill out the hole to be able to get the bracket over the big factory seat bolts.
@bodhi

I am drawing so much inspiration from your work ... thank you!

A few more questions. For the leveling feet on the rear platform did you tap those gusset corner brackets with for 1/2-13 stem? Or did you just bore them out and use a couple nuts?

https://8020.net/12215.html
https://8020.net/4332-black.html

Did you consider using standard end fasteners instead of the external corner brackets? I'm budgeting this project out and that would save $$.

Speaking of $$ ...those trapezoid feet are $17 each! ouch! I think they are necessary though.

The last think I'm toying around with is using 1010 and 1030 series instead of 1515 and 1530. Lighter and cheaper. I don't know if you could share thoughts on this?

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I'm getting started on my platform project, with a little demolition to clear out some space.

I've put the nuts back on the rear seat/belt bolts to show the upper clearance limit - I intend to eventually make the platform level with these, and retain them for resale.

When I reinstalled the trim around the battery (critical because there's exposed coolant hoses), I found a protruding plastic piece that I'll probably trim off.

Thank you so much for posting these.

I'm embarking on this project this winter. I have not deleted the rear seats yet so these pictures give me a pretty good idea on how to approach the design.
Sponsored