First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
I had a productive day:

1658726271341.jpeg

I used 2x2's and plywood, nuthin' fancy. One layer of 2x2's over the battery. Notched a little bit for the seat latches and protruding seat back bolts. That's a real advantage of wood over extrusion. There's a frame for both the front and back so they can be removed separately, or lifted up to access the storage compartment.

1658726482271.jpeg

In the back there's a double layer of 2x2's and they're bracketed to the trail rail holes. Sorry guess I don't have a pic of that yet.

1658726650161.jpeg

I'll be taking it out to sand and paint sometime soon, will show more details then.

1658726919204.jpeg

1658726939290.jpeg
The pictures get better and better!

I assume the "Trail Rail holes" are the same thing as the OE tie-down holes?

This is an excellent design! You and @bodhi are really inspiring me!

For the rear design, it appears the 2x2s are stacked to for a total frame elevation of 3" (assuming the 2x2s are standard 1.5 x 1.5). This is consistent with @bodhi so I'm feeling good about going with 3" in the rear cargo area.

For the rear passenger seat area, how did you end up fastening the frame to the rear seat brackets?

I think you make a good case for wood, but I'm still undecided between wood and aluminum extrusions.

Wood: Easy to get, easy to cut, cheap
Aluminum: lighter & stronger (assuming designed with weight optimization in mind), WAY more expensive.

I'll post pictures to this thread when I break ground.

Thanks for the pictures and narrative.
Sponsored

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
The pictures get better and better!

I assume the "Trail Rail holes" are the same thing as the OE tie-down holes?

This is an excellent design! You and @bodhi are really inspiring me!

For the rear design, it appears the 2x2s are stacked to for a total frame elevation of 3" (assuming the 2x2s are standard 1.5 x 1.5). This is consistent with @bodhi so I'm feeling good about going with 3" in the rear cargo area.

For the rear passenger seat area, how did you end up fastening the frame to the rear seat brackets?

I think you make a good case for wood, but I'm still undecided between wood and aluminum extrusions.

Wood: Easy to get, easy to cut, cheap
Aluminum: lighter & stronger (assuming designed with weight optimization in mind), WAY more expensive.

I'll post pictures to this thread when I break ground.

Thanks for the pictures and narrative.
Going with wood was mostly for templating and proof of concept, and the dimensions are right. I looked at the prices for aluminum extrusion and that was a factor.

I just used 90° inside brackets to bolt it down in the rear, to the six tie-down holes with the factory m8 bolts. Also did that on two locations to factory seat bolts in the middle. At the front I built some legs to go down to the floor, but haven't done anything else to secure it there. I do have the 2 outside factory seat brackets in place to keep the platform off the battery.

I have a piano hinge between the front and rear sections so the back can be lifted up to access storage, and with the extra 3 inches there is room for more stuff back there. In fact I'm installing my M.O.A.B. compressor, wiring, and fuse block under the floor.

I recently sourced m8 threaded rod and couplers to build 3 inch extensions to use the 6 factory tie down locations, with the factory bolts and new larger d rings, that secure cargo and hold the platform down. I'm looking for some other quicker method to unlatch it by hand, that has low clearance.

All that being said, I'm not sure I actually need a fully flat/level floor, and having the rear section a couple inches lower, with something like the AAL or goose gear platform could also work well.

I'll post some more pics soon within a few days to illustrate all this.

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th
Here's mine, just finished it about 15 min ago, Ive been working on it for a few months now.

I have a 1/8" powdercoated steel plate over the battery, and 3/4" oak boards w/ polyurethane in the back. The rear storage compartment is still accessible (and I did not want to use a hinge)

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) 2023-12-08 17.43.49

wheelsfeels

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU 2020
Here's our build
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Rear Platform Build(s) photo1702316071

Our kit is tailored to enhance the functionality and versatility of your 4xe, perfect for those who love road trips, camping, or just need that extra bit of organized storage space. It's easy to install and offers a robust and practical solution for your storage needs.
You can check out more details here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/exciting-news-drawer-kit-for-4xe-wrangler-🔥.122136/
https://wheelsfeels.com/shop/storage/cargo_drawer_for_jeep_wrangler_4xe
Thanks for letting me share, and happy building to all the DIY enthusiasts out there :jk:

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
This looks great. When you removed the back seats, is it possible to leave only the single seat still in place or is a custom bracket needed?
Yes, it is possible. I just removed my back seat and am considering putting the smaller seat back in.
Sponsored