Sponsored

4XE Question - How long will you be able to run in Hybrid Mode before the electric motor disengages.?

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
I'm about to take possession of an order progress on a Rubicon 4XE my dealer has. Delivery is about 4 weeks away. With that being said, I have a question regarding the Hybrid running mode.

How long will you be able to run in Hybrid Mode before the electric motor disengages.?

We take 4 long distance (850 miles each way) round trips a year. As listed by Jeep, the Electric Mode is approximately 25 miles. I wondering if the Hybrid mode will allow for the combination of both drives to work together an unlimited amount. My thinking is perhaps the electric motor has enough regeneration from the extended run time on the highway that will allow you to stay in the Hybrid Mode the entire trip and enjoy the approximate estimation of 50mpg.

I researched this as well as asked two dealer sales personnel and have not been able to get a solid answer.

Any input will be appreciated.
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I don't have the answer to your main question, but the 4xe will not get 50mpg on the highway. If you take the 400 mile range and divide by the fuel tank size (17.2) you would get 23.25 mpg. The 50mpgE is quite different as it is an equivalent rating. I believe that 50mpgE rating is when in electric only mode?

I could be totally off on all of this of course too, as it is such a new variant and there are no real world numbers.

Enjoy the new Jeep.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
As one who already has an all electric car, and how different this is for most PHEV's, I am a little disappointed in the fact that we have gotten no information on how this is going to really work! (didn't stop me from ordering one)

Yes I wonder too on things like, even after the electric is used up, will, while you're taking a long trip, the electric get recharged with the regenerative braking and/or by the motor itself so that when you floor it on the interstate the electric power will kick in to help.

I guess we'll find out!

Last edited:

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
As one who already has an all electric car, and how different this is for most PHEV's, I am a little disappointed in the fact that we have gotten no information on how this is going to really work! (didn't stop me from ordering one)

Yes I wonder too on things like, even after the electric is used up, will, while you're taking a long trip, the electric get recharged with the regenerative braking and/or by the motor itself so that when you floor it on the interstate the electric power will kick in to help.

I guess we'll find out!
Acceleration was answered in a TFL you tube video with the jeep engineer. The battery always keeps enough for acceleration so you will get the hp and torque numbers.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
From the initial press releases, it was my understanding that the battery wouldn't deplete to the point that you wouldn't have the performance of the 4xe when you were out of electric capacity. I believe they explained it to the point where the system will hold back to allow for continued performance. You would assume there is regeneration going on there....

Sponsored

OP
OP
CodyDog

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, Thank you for all the response. It is appreciated.

My sales guy is going to contact a jeep rep and ask what the estimated gas milage will be on the freeway at 65-70 miles per hour under the Turbo 2.0 only. One factor is going to be the added weight of the batteries which has to take a little of the gas milage (I would think).

With that being said, the sale guy thought the standard 3.6L V6 engine would probably offer better highway gas milage. I'm just hoping the difference isn't enough to go with a 3.6L V6 instead of the 4XE.

Deleted member 53226

I have no idea about the 4xe, but it seems to me if the regular 2.0 gets about 24 mpg avg, then it would not be unreasonable for the 4xe, heavier but supplemented with a decent electric motor, should get at least 35 mpg avg in hybrid mode on the highway.

Even if not, who cares. Its worth it just for the massive hp and torque increase!

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea about the 4xe, but it seems to me if the regular 2.0 gets about 24 mpg avg, then it would not be unreasonable for the 4xe, heavier but supplemented with a decent electric motor, should get at least 35 mpg avg in hybrid mode on the highway.

Even if not, who cares. Its worth it just for the massive hp and torque increase!
Last sentence is the only reason I'm buying it. Better gas mileage is frosting on the cake.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Not sure what you mean, the hybrid mode will work indefinitely because it will be recapturing energy anytime you take your foot off of the accelerator.

But as others have said, 50 mpgE is different from 50mpg. Expect less than 25mpg on the highway when running in hybrid mode (after your 25 miles of pure EV is depleted).

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
First of all, Thank you for all the response. It is appreciated.

My sales guy is going to contact a jeep rep and ask what the estimated gas milage will be on the freeway at 65-70 miles per hour under the Turbo 2.0 only. One factor is going to be the added weight of the batteries which has to take a little of the gas milage (I would think).

With that being said, the sale guy thought the standard 3.6L V6 engine would probably offer better highway gas milage. I'm just hoping the difference isn't enough to go with a 3.6L V6 instead of the 4XE.

Just my two cents....say it is worse. If the difference between 380 miles per tank and 400 per tank is that stressing, perhaps a Wrangler, a box on wheels in any iteration, isn’t the best vehicle to consider. ???

You know it’s not going to be as bad as a 72 Imapala at 10mpg, not near as good as a say my long gone 03 Jetta Diesel where I squeeked 43-50mpg highway.

It’ll at least be comparable to the 3.6 or 2.0 versions.

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of my driving is less than 20 miles a day, so no gas usage is very good gas mileage. When I do one of my 6 hours one way trips, I may get 21 mpg but that doesn't take into account all those miles I did electric only.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller

Massive HP and Torque......AND $7,500

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
If the weight of the hybrid system significantly impacted mileage on the highway, then non-plug-in hybrids wouldn't get better mileage than regular cars.

TDangelo1219

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4Xe

This is really simple. I have 2 PHEV's a Pacifica PHEV & a Volvo XC60. My Pacifica gets about 2-3 MPG worse on the highway than the std V6 for two reasons. 1. Added Weight 2. It uses a different transmission. However, driving in town (which is most of my driving) I've gotten 1600 miles on one tank. My Volvo returns similar numbers. So here's my expectations with the 4Xe I ordered. I usually drive 72-75 mph on the Interstates so I should see approx 22-24 mpg in those situations. Keeping it town I'll get 100+ mpg since I can charge at work and home. If you keep it between 65-70 you might see around 24-26. I promise you won't see anywhere around 35 mpg!!! After the battery is 90% drained (when your gauge says 0% it still has 10% capacity so it can operate like a typical hybrid vehicle) it doesn't do much to help at highway speeds unless your going down a hill. So at that point it's just extra weight. Fortunately, the Jeep uses a similar 8 speed trans so it should be right at where the ICE Jeeps are on the highway. So it comes down to how your going to use it. If you do mostly highway driving you'll be disappointed if you think your going to get 35-50 mpg. Ain't gonna happen!!! Keep it mostly around town you'll do great.

OP
OP
CodyDog

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again for all the cooments.

So I'll ask my original question a little differently. If I have a full charge and leave my house on a 65 - 70 mile an hour rode in the Hybrid mode, will the 4XE only be pulling from the Turbo 2.0 at those speeds (not talking acceleration but an even 65mph). Is the electric motor only going to be engaged (Hybrid Mode) during acceleration or low speeds? I'm trying to get my head around how exactly they work together in Hybrid Mode.

Your input is appreciated.
Sponsored