Sponsored

4XE Question - How long will you be able to run in Hybrid Mode before the electric motor disengages.?

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Thanks again for all the cooments.

So I'll ask my original question a little differently. If I have a full charge and leave my house on a 65 - 70 mile an hour rode in the Hybrid mode, will the 4XE only be pulling from the Turbo 2.0 at those speeds (not talking acceleration but an even 65mph). Is the electric motor only going to be engaged (Hybrid Mode) during acceleration or low speeds? I'm trying to get my head around how exactly they work together in Hybrid Mode.

Your input is appreciated.
You will be able to decide how it operates as there are 3 modes I believe. All electric, hybrid, and only gas. Once all electric runs out I would think it would default to hybrid but can’t say for sure. You can definitely dictate what modes you are in though as Jeep advertised you driving trails all electric, therefore getting there on gas would be required.
I also don’t think there is a max all electric speed so highway speed should be achieved in all electric.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CodyDog

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
You will be able to decide how it operates as there are 3 modes I believe. All electric, hybrid, and only gas. Once all electric runs out I would think it would default to hybrid but can’t say for sure. You can definitely dictate what modes you are in though as Jeep advertised you driving trails all electric, therefore getting there on gas would be required.
I also don’t think there is a max all electric speed so highway speed should be achieved in all electric.
Thanks for the reply. I understand the three mode choices but not exactly how both drive systems work together in the Hybrid Mode.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I guess if you kept a very steady 65 mph on a flat surface and the batteries are depleted to the max allowed, it would be ICE only. Because this isn't possible except in a very few areas, it would be running hybrid meaning some electric and some ICE. Just my opinion.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
How long will you be able to run in Hybrid Mode before the electric motor disengages.?
Any input will be appreciated.
TDanjelo1219 has the right answer: indefinitely. Hybrid is the default driving mode. It will favor battery power until you demand maximum acceleration or until the battery is depleted.

Three drive mode buttons are found left of the steering wheel: electric, hybrid, and e-save.
Electric: exclusively use electric power (until battery is depleted, then gas)
Hybrid: favors battery power & uses the engine as needed
e-Save: save the battery charge for later using gas only...except, there is a setting in the Hybrid Pages app in U-Connect which allows you to use the gas engine's power to actively charge the battery. Supposedly, a fully depleted battery will re-charge in about 2.5 hours at 55MPH.

A max regeneration button is found below and to the left of the 8.4 screen; this button significantly increases the regeneration enabling single peddle driving.

As was mentioned above, there will always be some charge left in the battery which can be used to help with acceleration. Li batteries are damaged by over discharging them, so the control circuitry won't allow that to happen. The guage may say "0"%, but you probably still have a kWh left. The vehicle will act like a "normal" hybrid when you reach that level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CodyDog

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TDanjelo1219 has the right answer: indefinitely. Hybrid is the default driving mode. It will favor battery power until you demand maximum acceleration or until the battery is depleted.

Three drive mode buttons are found left of the steering wheel: electric, hybrid, and e-save. Electric: exclusively use electric power (until battery is depleted, then gas)
Hybrid: favors battery power & uses the engine as needed
e-Save: save the battery charge for later using gas only...except, there is a setting in the Hybrid Pages app in U-Connect which allows you to use the gas engine's power to actively charge the battery. Supposedly, a fully depleted battery will re-charge in about 2.5 hours at 55MPH.

A max regeneration button is found below and to the left of the 8.4 screen; this button significantly increases the regeneration enabling single peddle driving.

As was mentioned above, there will always be some charge left in the battery which can be used to help with acceleration. Li batteries are damaged by over discharging them, so the control circuitry won't allow that to happen. The guage may say "0"%, but you probably still have a kWh left. The vehicle will act like a "normal" hybrid when you reach that level.
Great summary! Thanks Gazelle.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
>So I'll ask my original question a little differently. If I have a full charge and leave my house on a 65 - 70 mile an hour ride in the Hybrid mode, will the 4XE only be pulling from the Turbo 2.0 at those speeds (not talking acceleration but an even 65mph). Is the electric motor only going to be engaged (Hybrid Mode) during acceleration or low speeds? I'm trying to get my head around how exactly they work together in Hybrid Mode.

Hybrid mode will favor drawing power from the battery vs. consuming gasoline. So, assuming you drive with a reasonably light foot, you'll go the first 25 miles on battery, consuming no gasoline or next-to-none. After that, it'll operate as a hybrid, regenerating electricity when braking, and using it when accelerating. During that time, you'll get about the same mpgs as the 4cyl turbo - 22mpg highway.

So, 25 miles electric only,
40 miles on gas at 22mpg, using 1.8gal gasoline

65 miles total, 1.8 gallons of gas consumed = 36 mpg of gasoline

To figure the total cost for the trip add the cost of 1.8 gal of gas to the cost of 15kwh of electricity.

(I used 15kwh instead of the known battery size of 17kwh because the system never allows the battery to be discharged below about 10%)

The way to win with a 4xe is to plug it in at home (and at work, if you can) when driving it around town and then most or all of your local miles will be powered by electric rather than by gasoline.

TDangelo1219

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4Xe
Thanks again for all the cooments.

So I'll ask my original question a little differently. If I have a full charge and leave my house on a 65 - 70 mile an hour rode in the Hybrid mode, will the 4XE only be pulling from the Turbo 2.0 at those speeds (not talking acceleration but an even 65mph). Is the electric motor only going to be engaged (Hybrid Mode) during acceleration or low speeds? I'm trying to get my head around how exactly they work together in Hybrid Mode.

The electric motors are almost always providing some assistance even when the gauge says 0%. There is a "Power" gauge showing how much power the gas engine and the electric motor are each providing. (In the Pacifica the ICE line is blue and the electric line is teal) So if your driving 65 mph and you want to pass someone and you hit the gas heavy, you'll see (and feel) both motors increase their power delivery simultaneously. Don't ask me to explain how it works because that's WAY over my head. However, the two systems work seamlessly in my Pacifica. I expect the Jeep to be as good if not slightly better. Plus the Jeep has much more combined HP and Torque than the std Wrangler. There will also be a more detailed page on the nav screen that will tell you exactly how much power is being consumed and which system is providing the power. Anytime your electric motors are capturing energy via breaking or coasting down a hill, it will show a negative value since your adding energy to the battery instead of draining it. It's all pretty slick.

TDangelo1219

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4Xe
Only you won’t get ‘the same’ mpg as gas-only because the hybrid weighs 500 lbs heavier than the non-hybrid version.
It will be very close because there are times when the vehicle will run on the electric motors only for a mile here and a mile there which kinda balances out the extra weight in my experience. On a 500 mile trip it seems that 1 out of every 10 miles will be electric on average. 70 mph seems to be the magic speed. Typically anything over 70 mph you'll see you're mpg drop, probably even more in a Jeep since it's a box. So maybe a tick worse on some trips or a tick better on others.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
My expectations would be that other than grocery runs, long, off road, 4 low wheeling will deliver the greatest enjoyment, returning mileage perhaps as good as 20 + ? mpg equivalent due to electric torque assists accelerating from frequent stops, climbs and regenerative braking on descents. This eliminates the need to haul and screw around with Jerry cans. Comparatively, in a non hybrid, one fills up then arrives at the trail head with 3/4 of a tank, only to then face 4-8 mpg on a 90+ mile 4 low run. If I was in the market, based on those expectations, the 4xe is a no brainer, depreciating the value of everything preceding it. Don't expect four banger 3000 lb gw subcompact mileage from freeway driving. Long trips, maybe 25mpg equivalent. In the absence of wind, my old XJ 5sp routinely got 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph. Things haven't changed that much for the better in the past 34 years.

OP
OP
CodyDog

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My expectations would be that other than grocery runs, long, off road, 4 low wheeling will deliver the greatest enjoyment, returning mileage perhaps as good as 20 + ? mpg equivalent due to electric torque assists accelerating from frequent stops, climbs and regenerative braking on descents. This eliminates the need to haul and screw around with Jerry cans. Comparatively, in a non hybrid, one fills up then arrives at the trail head with 3/4 of a tank, only to then face 4-8 mpg on a 90+ mile 4 low run. If I was in the market, based on those expectations, the 4xe is a no brainer, depreciating the value of everything preceding it. Don't expect four banger 3000 lb gw subcompact mileage from freeway driving. Long trips, maybe 25mpg equivalent. In the absence of wind, my old XJ 5sp routinely got 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph. Things haven't changed that much for the better in the past 34 years.
Hardsell: Thanks for the reply. I agree with your expectation outline. Anything over 19MPG on the freeway will be better than my Sierra 1500. In realty, I'm not buying it for huge highway milage benefit, I'm impressed with the HP and torque.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
On my JLU Sahara 2.0 at best running 91 octane I can get 25mpg, so expect the added weight when using just gas to get a little less

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
So I decide to go with the Rubicon 4XE.
Congratulations! After you wheel it many miles in 4 low terrain, please post your experience and impressions regarding fuel economy only. We all know it will be capable. Back in Dec. 3, 2008 I recall seeing a Chrysler spokesman showing up in a hybrid 4 door wrangler begging for a $7 billion bailout. Daimler then dumped Chrysler and before merging with GM (God forbid) Fiat came to the rescue. The stunt was to show the world Jeep was changing its ways and deserved the cash.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Question - How long will you be able to run in Hybrid Mode before the electric motor disengages.? Wrangler PHEV circa 2008

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...chnology-off-road-with-wrangler-based-plug-in

So, they've had 13 years to screw around with this concept and consequently scaled back the 40 miles (in 2008) on all electric claim to perhaps a more honest 25 miles (today). I want the EV (not PHEV) fanboys to note this. The Green New Deal libs keep insisting that battery tech will one way or another totally displace ICE during the Biden (soon Harris) administration. $4-$6 per gallon gasoline by end of year, kiddos! Rationing by summer 2022. You voted 'em in.....supposedly. You know who you are.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
So, they've had 13 years to screw around with this concept and consequently scaled back the 40 miles (in 2008) on all electric claim to perhaps a more honest 25 miles (today). I want the EV (not PHEV) fanboys to note this. The Green New Deal libs keep insisting that battery tech will one way or another totally displace ICE during the Biden (soon Harris) administration. $4-$6 per gallon gasoline by end of year, kiddos! Rationing by summer 2022. You voted 'em in.....supposedly. You know who you are.
Well that was certainly a word salad to show how detached from reality you are.
Sponsored