dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
Mine had the factory plastic bumper and air dam. Cutting the metal part of the factory plastic bumper was a bit of a nuisance. Still, I'd call it something that one is either comfortable doing or not. It is a precision task, and measuring is important, along with safety. Cutting the plastic air dam was easier (no metal), but precision and careful measuring were needed too.

Now that they're on, I like them, and am about to put them to their first use in a few days. Still, when I get an aftermarket bumper, they'll come off and be resold, and I'll tow from the bumper itself (which, I will ensure, is approved for that by the manufacturer).

Dan

How do you like to tow loops? I am interested in them, but cutting the bumper seems like a pain.
Sponsored

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Did you remove the bumper to cut it or do it on? Ive seen people do both.

Mine had the factory plastic bumper and air dam. Cutting the metal part of the factory plastic bumper was a bit of a nuisance. Still, I'd call it something that one is either comfortable doing or not. It is a precision task, and measuring is important, along with safety. Cutting the plastic air dam was easier (no metal), but precision and careful measuring were needed too.

Now that they're on, I like them, and am about to put them to their first use in a few days. Still, when I get an aftermarket bumper, they'll come off and be resold, and I'll tow from the bumper itself (which, I will ensure, is approved for that by the manufacturer).

Dan

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I removed it. The nuts have to be removed and the bolts withdrawn from their holes anyway, in order to put the Loops on. So I don't really see any advantage to trying to do it without removing the bumper. I suppose you could wiggle one end off, then cut, then place the Loop, then wiggle it on again, then repeat for the other end. But that sounds like torture.

Did you remove the bumper to cut it or do it on? Ive seen people do both.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If I'm completely honest, I kinda hope that none of the dealers in my area will offer me a great deal, so that I can have a good excuse for a 1200mi road trip in my new jeep when I order it.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
If I'm completely honest, I kinda hope that none of the dealers in my area will offer me a great deal, so that I can have a good excuse for a 1200mi road trip in my new jeep when I order it.
I would MUCH rather a 1200 mile road trip than this interminable waiting for a 4xe order. (I may be slowing down my oders since i am constantly checking cryptostickers. You know that old “watched pot boiling” theory:)

Sponsored

SKTexas

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I just added this to the original post in this thread:

Over the last couple of weeks, I've grown comfortable with the steering. Also, the around town "gas mileage" (which includes electricity -- I charge overnight) is about 32mpg. Tazer has allowed me to latch the max regen button (thank you!). I've added Maximus-3 Tow Loops (a 30 minute job that took me 6 hours and two trips to Home Depot for tools that I needed an excuse to buy anyway), a Curt flat-tow wiring harness (very easy to do), and am half way through the proximity unlock install (I have the door handles all on, am about to start the wiring). Am still contemplating wheels, tires, bumpers, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Thanks to all for helping to make this a fun journey. -- Dan
Hi Dan,
Thank you for pointing me to the proximity lock thread. Could you tell me the part numbers you ordered for the wiring harness. The ones from the beginning of that thread show no fitment for 4xE but have other part numbers for the 4xE but there are 3 different options and I am not sure what the difference would be. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's what I ordered:

[EDIT: The first two part numbers below (I've highlighted them in red) are WRONG and won't work with the proximity handles. I only found out when I tried the install, which was after writing this post. So I'm updating it today (May 31 2021).]

[2nd EDIT: Note: When placing an order for this wiring, DO NOT put your vehicle's VIN number in the order. I did that, and they sent me the wrong wiring, and when I phoned them to ask why, they said "Well, we corrected your incorrect part numbers so that the parts we send are right for the vehicle whose VIN you sent". Even though I carefully ordered the correct wiring harness parts for a vehicle that has proximity locks, they sent me wiring harnesses for a vehicle that doesn't have it. Next time I'll know better. Don't make the same mistake I made and waste two weeks.]

Quantity 1 of 68325453AF (driver's door wiring harness)
Quantity 1 of 68325460AF (passenger door wiring harness)

Here are the correct part numbers as of May 31 2021.

Quantity 1 of 68299333AF (driver's door wiring harness)
Quantity 1 of 68299332AF (passenger door wiring harness)
Quantity 2 of 68307269AC (front door handles)
Quantity 2 of 68307272AD (front door handle caps)
Quantity 1 of 68351167AA (tailgate wiring jumper)
Quantity 1 of 68309825AC (tailgate door handle)
Quantity 1 of 68309830AC (tailgate door handle cap)

Note: I've put the door handles and caps on (5 minute job for each door), but have not yet done the wiring.

Hi Dan,
Thank you for pointing me to the proximity lock thread. Could you tell me the part numbers you ordered for the wiring harness. The ones from the beginning of that thread show no fitment for 4xE but have other part numbers for the 4xE but there are 3 different options and I am not sure what the difference would be. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SKTexas

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Here's what I ordered:

Quantity 1 of 68325453AF (driver's door wiring harness)
Quantity 1 of 68325460AF (passenger door wiring harness)
Quantity 2 of 68307269AC (front door handles)
Quantity 2 of 68307272AD (front door handle caps)
Quantity 1 of 68351167AA (tailgate wiring jumper)
Quantity 1 of 68309825AC (tailgate door handle)
Quantity 1 of 68309830AC (tailgate door handle cap)

Note: I've put the door handles and caps on (5 minute job for each door), but have not yet done the wiring.
Thanks so much. Let us know how it goes! I'm going to give it a shot too, but you will probably be done much sooner than me. I don't think I've seen any other 4xE owners do the mod.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Thanks so much. Let us know how it goes! I'm going to give it a shot too, but you will probably be done much sooner than me. I don't think I've seen any other 4xE owners do the mod.
I hated I didn't have this on my last wrangler. It was a must on my order. I've seen many posts pushing for people to order this feature even if they feel they don't want it. My past wrangler, with its huge key fob, was the only key I had to take out of my pocket. I can't tell you how many times I was carrying stuff and was trying to pull that monstrosity out to unlock the vehicle. My motorcycle even comes with a remote proximity keyless fob. This should be standard in my opinion.

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Note: Please see post 97, which I have updated, after discovering that the wiring harnesses I ordered were not the correct ones. I've updated that post with the correct numbers now.

Dan

Sponsored

SKTexas

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Note: Please see post 97, which I have updated, after discovering that the wiring harnesses I ordered were not the correct ones. I've updated that post with the correct numbers now.

Dan
Are they going to let you exchange them?

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Not a troll just trying to understand folks logic with the 4ex. To me where I live Palm Springs area of Ca I see a good number popping up, it makes no sense because almost everyone I talk to that has one is heading to or from the coastal areas (beach cities, mountains, LA, OC and San Diego) all of which are well out of the electric range. It’s puzzling because they are running on the 2.0 engine the vast majority of the time and burning more fuel then a standard 2.0 simply because their Jeep is 500lbs heavier, yet are convinced they are helping the environment.

Case I point was last weekend up in our local mountains(Big Bear). Talking to a couple from LA about their 4ex Rubicon. They said the drove from LA and up the mountain using the gas engine, then “switched” to all electric once they got into Big Bear City to help “preserve the natural environment”. I had to sake my head in disbelief because it burns three times more gas driving up the mountain then it would driving around the city or trails. Wouldn’t it have been better to use the electric power to go up and save burning so much gas? They did not think so. It’s that logic that I am trying to understand about the 4ex owners. Granted that is not all 4ex owners, but it is what I have been encountering a lot here in Ca.

Now I totally get the electric thing and I like the idea of it if one stays within 10 miles of home. But for SoCal. that is kinda a pipe dream because almost everything requires at least a 10 mile drive to get to and often in frwy traffic or on stop and go city streets.
Buying a 4xe isn't just about the 25 miles of electric range - you are also getting an extra 105hp and 175ft-lbs of torque. Where else can you get a bump like that with small hit to highway fuel economy? For most people, they will get better real world fuel economy without even plugging it in.

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I took my first long trip in my 4xe Sahara. Had 500 miles on the odometer at the start. Was loaded with our family of 4, packed to the gill with camping gear and 4 bikes on the back. Travelled 200 miles each way, from Boston to western NY, which takes you through mountains and is far from straight. Once getting on the highway, went into e-save mode for the entire trip. Going 75 with occasional bursts beyond that, I got 22mpg in both directions. It exceeded my expectations.

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I just did this proximity door handle and wiring harness mod today. Used JSCAN to update the codes. Works great. Took 3 hours but I kept having to come inside to cool off because it's so freaking hot out here.
Sponsored