Sponsored

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
Now keep in mind I drive like Grandpa (I am one) and south Jersey is pretty flat, but those are great numbers.
Hello fellow South Jersey 4xe Jeeper!
Sponsored

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
Hello fellow South Jersey 4xe Jeeper!
And here I thought I had the only 4xe in NJ. Picked ours up in Vermont 3 weeks ago. Haven’t been off-road yet, and our beach just closed to vehicles until mid-October.

aginoc

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Hey y'all, I know people don't buy wranglers for efficiency, but I have some questions...

1. What's the mpg in hybrid mode only, SoC <1%
2. Is the rated range for rubicon or Sahara?
3. Is running EV more expensive in SoCal unless I have free charging?
Here are my various charging rates and full charge cost for the 21 EV miles
Tier 1 - 23 cents, $3.41 for a full charge
Tier 2 - 30 cents, $4.40 for a full charge
Work - 19 cents, $2.81 for a full charge
Off Peak - 17 cents, $2.52 for a full charge
closest costco gas is $3.70/gal

It seems like the benefit for me would be the vehicle price, power, smoothness, but not efficiency.

Edit: editing full charge numbers because <1% to full charge is 14.8kWh according to another post in this forum.
Hi, we live in the same area. You need to consider changing your electrical plan to a a Time of Use-Prime rate which will give you discounted rates during off peak times and slightly higher rates during peak (generally 5-9PM). You then charge your car off peak for .17 and also save on your other electrical costs for most of the day.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
If i was thinking straight, I probably would've ordered the 4xe. At the time, I didn't realize they had a HA version of it. 21 miles on a full charge would've meant "no gas consumption" on my commute to and from work! Wife has a Tesla on order which should arrive next week. I am looking forward to driving that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
I just added this to the original post in this thread:

Over the last couple of weeks, I've grown comfortable with the steering. Also, the around town "gas mileage" (which includes electricity -- I charge overnight) is about 32mpg. Tazer has allowed me to latch the max regen button (thank you!). I've added Maximus-3 Tow Loops (a 30 minute job that took me 6 hours and two trips to Home Depot for tools that I needed an excuse to buy anyway), a Curt flat-tow wiring harness (very easy to do), and am half way through the proximity unlock install (I have the door handles all on, am about to start the wiring). Am still contemplating wheels, tires, bumpers, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Thanks to all for helping to make this a fun journey. -- Dan

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Lol - it's good to laugh. Plus, as an engineer (albeit software, not mechanical), I appreciate that there is a puzzle to solve (the steering).

And as I mentioned in my other thread, I now need to get it ready for flat-towing behind my MH. So maybe a new bumper ... and a winch ... and it will sag, so a lift ... which will allow bigger tires ... so perhaps ditch the 20" wheels ... but it's not a Rubicon ... and besides, it's my daily driver ... decisions, decisions, decisions. :)
Look at a Rockhard Patriot aluminum. Not much heavier then the plastic but a lot tougher. You can order with hitch points for a tow bar and it works great

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker

Over the last couple of weeks, I've grown comfortable with the steering. Also, the around town "gas mileage" (which includes electricity -- I charge overnight) is about 32mpg. Tazer has allowed me to latch the max regen button (thank you!). I've added Maximus-3 Tow Loops (a 30 minute job that took me 6 hours and two trips to Home Depot for tools that I needed an excuse to buy anyway), a Curt flat-tow wiring harness (very easy to do), and am half way through the proximity unlock install (I have the door handles all on, am about to start the wiring). Am still contemplating wheels, tires, bumpers, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Thanks to all for helping to make this a fun journey. -- Dan
Thanks for the detailed report on the 4XE, I've got a '21 JLUR (sarge green!) and wondering if i should make the switch so any bit of info helps! But so far, it seems that with oc gas prices + solar, I figure I can save about $5 of gas on each charge, or $10 a day if i plug in at home & work.

The most annoying part I guess, is the fact that the mileage is worse than ICE Wranglers on long trips (would help to find rest stops with chargers). Knowing 18-20mpg on factory tires means it'll be even worse with bigger tires lol.

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having owned hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and pure electric vehicles, I'll say this much about long-distance travel:

For plug-in hybrids like the 4xe, there's no point in stopping to charge en-route. Just accept that mileage on a long highway trip will be a bit worse than a pure ICE vehicle, due to added weight. If there is a place to plug in overnight en-route (on a multi-day trip), then sure, do it. But it will only get you 20-ish miles of highway speed driving, so basically not worth going out of your way for.

Even in town, in everyday usage, it makes little sense to charge while buying groceries or having lunch, though the latter can be done. Charge overnight at home, or all-day at work -- that can make sense, cutting one's gasoline bills in half. But the vehicle takes a couple hours to charge at a level 2 charge station (the fastest that the 4xe can currently accept), so unless you take really long lunches or are really slow buying groceries, you won't get much charge that way.

Even in my 2015 Tesla Model S, which has about a 260 mile range, the vehicle is a nuisance on long trips, requiring too-frequent stops at Tesla Superchargers. This is because the super-fast charging only happens until about 75-80 % capacity, then it slows down. For a pure-electric to be good for long long trips, one needs a 400+ mile range like the newest of the Tesla Model S cars. Then one can charge quickly to 75%, say 1/2 hour, while eating lunch, and obtain 300 of the 400 mile rated range. The last 100 miles would take an additional hour due to slowdown near full charge.

Bottom line: Electric, and plug-in hybrid, is good for around town and not-too-many long out-of-town trips. And for that, even the 20 mile range of the 4xe is meaningful. I'm glad I bought mine.

The most annoying part I guess, is the fact that the mileage is worse than ICE Wranglers on long trips (would help to find rest stops with chargers).

Ocotillo Boy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Does anybody have any thoughts regarding resale value on a 4XE? Curious if everyone thinks the resale value will be less or more then save the V-6 Rubicon equally optioned.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Look at a Rockhard Patriot aluminum. Not much heavier then the plastic but a lot tougher. You can order with hitch points for a tow bar and it works great
+1 for this. the Rock hard 4x4 Aluminum front bumper is what I use for flat towing my JL for the past 2 years. I plan to move it over to the 4xe when my order finally arrives. (if ever, lol)

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Curious. On my Level 2 charger it seems like the Pacifica Hybrid goes from >1% to 70ish% mostly within the first hour or so. Then it seems to slow down the last 45 minutes to get to 100%. People seeing anything similar with their 4xe on a Level 2?

28firefighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Curious. On my Level 2 charger it seems like the Pacifica Hybrid goes from >1% to 70ish% mostly within the first hour or so. Then it seems to slow down the last 45 minutes to get to 100%. People seeing anything similar with their 4xe on a Level 2?
Yep - I definitely am, but particularly the last 10%. Finding that the car is notoriously bad at predicting how long the last 10% will take to finish.

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, like I was saying in post #83, for all electric vehicles, the fuller it gets, the slower it charges. You can only charge quickly until about 75-80%, and above that, it gets slower and s l o w e r. The reason that level 1 chargers are more steady is that they are already slow, even when the battery is lower than 75% full.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Does anybody have any thoughts regarding resale value on a 4XE? Curious if everyone thinks the resale value will be less or more then save the V-6 Rubicon equally optioned.
They only lasted a few days at my dealership, so unless a bunch of quality issues keep happening, I say the resale will be the same or better than what you gave.

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
How do you like to tow loops? I am interested in them, but cutting the bumper seems like a pain.

Sponsored