Sponsored

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
I'm the proud owner of a new Unlimited Sahara 4xe, which I picked up on Tuesday in Seattle, and then drove 20 hours home over the next two days. Here are a few thoughts. This is my first Jeep, so definitely a newbie here.

It's comfortable. Even after two very long days, my 56 year old body felt well cuddled by the very comfortable interior.

It's quieter than I thought it would be. My other car is a Tesla, and no, the 4xe is not *that* quiet, but ... the ICE was on the whole way home (of course), and it was hardly noticeable. Yes, plenty of wind noise, but even that was less than I expected.

It's powerful, but ... you know this already. Plenty of fuss-less, confidence-inspiring torque.

The visibility is wonderful -- far better than my Tesla with its oversize headrests blocking the rear window. By comparison, the visibility in all directions from the Jeep's driver's seat is amazingly good.

If I was going 75-80mph on I-5 keeping up with traffic, MPG started out around 20, but by the end of the trip South, 18.5 was reported.

Steering is decidedly un-Tesla. I found that frequent corrective inputs were needed. I know some people have had steering issues. I'm hopeful I'm not one of them. Once I got home, I looked at the amount of wiggle in the steering wheel, and there's basically none. Perhaps one of you will take mine for a test drive sometime and let me know whether its normal or not. The steering box under the hood is black, not silver.

One disappointment was the adaptive cruise control. It worked, for sure. But there was not much finesse to it, perhaps because it doesn't have enough situational awareness yet. For example, when behind a vehicle on the highway, it adjusts speed very well. However, if you then signal left to change lanes, it will speed up a little, then 1/2 way through the lane change, it will somehow "re-notice" the car it was following in the old lane, and think "oh crap, we're getting too close", and decelerate. A moment later, with lane-change complete, it then thinks "oh what was I worried about, there's nothing here", and pick up speed again. With maximum regeneration on, the deceleration and re-acceleration are abrupt. Similarly, if there is a vehicle in the lane into which one is changing, and it is closer than the vehicle we were following in the old lane, it gets worried and decelerates. Although it might sound like that's a good behavior, it would be nice it it recognized when the vehicle in the new lane was pulling away (because it is going faster than the Jeep), and simply let the situation improve without decelerating. My Tesla manages all of this very well, and I was surprised that the Jeep wasn't a bit more capable in its ACC. Still, it's a great feature and I'm glad to have it.

Pushing the max-regen button every start-up is a nuisance. Hopefully Tazer or Jeep will have a fix for that soon.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase, from Phillip Olson of Bud Clary Auto Group in Auburn, WA. That name, along with Rob Trachtman here in Orange County, were two names obtained via other posts in this forum. Around here, prices for on-the-lot 4xe's are very high, and I had heard that these two gentlemen would treat me right with pricing. Both of them did, but Phillip Olson happened to have a unit on his lot that he would sell me for the same discount as an ordered-in unit "if I bought it by tomorrow" (which was the end of last month). The unit he had met my needs, so ... I bought it. He suggested someone to deliver it to me, and the delivery was arranged, but it fell through at the last minute, and I decided to pick it up myself, after a year of COVID shut-in. I'm glad I did. The 1150 mile drive south through WA, OR, and CA was amazing.

Many "Jeep waves" on the way home.

Thank you Jeep, for continuing to improve this amazing adventure machine. Thank you JLWranglerForums contributors for all the information that led me to this purchase. And thanks to Phillip Olson and his team for making this a wonderful purchase experience.

-- Dan

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe purchase and 1150 mile drive home 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe

[update added 05/23/2021: Over the last couple of weeks, I've grown comfortable with the steering. Also, the around town "gas mileage" (which includes electricity -- I charge overnight) is about 32mpg. Tazer has allowed me to latch the max regen button (thank you!). I've added Maximus-3 Tow Loops (a 30 minute job that took me 6 hours and two trips to Home Depot for tools that I needed an excuse to buy anyway), a Curt flat-tow wiring harness (very easy to do), and am half way through the proximity unlock install (I have the door handles all on, am about to start the wiring). Am still contemplating wheels, tires, bumpers, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Thanks to all for helping to make this a fun journey. -- Dan]
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol - it's good to laugh. Plus, as an engineer (albeit software, not mechanical), I appreciate that there is a puzzle to solve (the steering).

And as I mentioned in my other thread, I now need to get it ready for flat-towing behind my MH. So maybe a new bumper ... and a winch ... and it will sag, so a lift ... which will allow bigger tires ... so perhaps ditch the 20" wheels ... but it's not a Rubicon ... and besides, it's my daily driver ... decisions, decisions, decisions. :)

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Hopefully your steering is fine. Part of it is definitely just getting used to it. I remember my drive home with my 2018 on the highway and having to constantly correct it. Once I got used to it and wasn’t actively thinking about the steering it was no longer an issue. It becomes more of a smooth flow rather than a million constant back and forth corrections.

Sponsored

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘67 CJ5, ‘20 JLU
Your steering is fine. We just traded a Model S on a JLU and there is no comparing the steering feel of a modern sport sedan with that of a solid front axle vehicle with a steering box. It just can’t compare to rack and pinion. It’s the same with any solid front axle vehicle. You just have to get used to a little extra steering input. That said, if you get to the point where you hit a bump on the highway and the Jeep just loses all composure, then you have a problem.

I appreciate your thoughts on adaptive cruise. I have never really heard anyone opine on that here before. I’ve been wondering how it would compare to TACC on the Teslas, which I imagine is probably the gold standard. I think the autopilot overall was better on my old Model S than it is on my newer Model 3, but that’s mostly steering. The TACC is a necessity in my view. Enjoy the 4xe!!

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I'm the proud owner of a new Unlimited Sahara 4xe, which I picked up on Tuesday in Seattle, and then drove 20 hours home over the next two days. Here are a few thoughts. This is my first Jeep, so definitely a newbie here.

It's comfortable. Even after two very long days, my 56 year old body felt well cuddled by the very comfortable interior.

It's quieter than I thought it would be. My other car is a Tesla, and no, the 4xe is not *that* quiet, but ... the ICE was on the whole way home (of course), and it was hardly noticeable. Yes, plenty of wind noise, but even that was less than I expected.

It's powerful, but ... you know this already. Plenty of fuss-less, confidence-inspiring torque.

The visibility is wonderful -- far better than my Tesla with its oversize headrests blocking the rear window. By comparison, the visibility in all directions from the Jeep's driver's seat is amazingly good.

If I was going 75-80mph on I-5 keeping up with traffic, MPG started out around 20, but by the end of the trip South, 18.5 was reported.

Steering is decidedly un-Tesla. I found that frequent corrective inputs were needed. I know some people have had steering issues. I'm hopeful I'm not one of them. Once I got home, I looked at the amount of wiggle in the steering wheel, and there's basically none. Perhaps one of you will take mine for a test drive sometime and let me know whether its normal or not. The steering box under the hood is black, not silver.

One disappointment was the adaptive cruise control. It worked, for sure. But there was not much finesse to it, perhaps because it doesn't have enough situational awareness yet. For example, when behind a vehicle on the highway, it adjusts speed very well. However, if you then signal left to change lanes, it will speed up a little, then 1/2 way through the lane change, it will somehow "re-notice" the car it was following in the old lane, and think "oh crap, we're getting too close", and decelerate. A moment later, with lane-change complete, it then thinks "oh what was I worried about, there's nothing here", and pick up speed again. With maximum regeneration on, the deceleration and re-acceleration are abrupt. Similarly, if there is a vehicle in the lane into which one is changing, and it is closer than the vehicle we were following in the old lane, it gets worried and decelerates. Although it might sound like that's a good behavior, it would be nice it it recognized when the vehicle in the new lane was pulling away (because it is going faster than the Jeep), and simply let the situation improve without decelerating. My Tesla manages all of this very well, and I was surprised that the Jeep wasn't a bit more capable in its ACC. Still, it's a great feature and I'm glad to have it.

Pushing the max-regen button every start-up is a nuisance. Hopefully Tazer or Jeep will have a fix for that soon.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase, from Phillip Olson of Bud Clary Auto Group in Auburn, WA. That name, along with Rob Trachtman here in Orange County, were two names obtained via other posts in this forum. Around here, prices for on-the-lot 4xe's are very high, and I had heard that these two gentlemen would treat me right with pricing. Both of them did, but Phillip Olson happened to have a unit on his lot that he would sell me for the same discount as an ordered-in unit "if I bought it by tomorrow" (which was the end of last month). The unit he had met my needs, so ... I bought it. He suggested someone to deliver it to me, and the delivery was arranged, but it fell through at the last minute, and I decided to pick it up myself, after a year of COVID shut-in. I'm glad I did. The 1150 mile drive south through WA, OR, and CA was amazing.

Many "Jeep waves" on the way home.

Thank you Jeep, for continuing to improve this amazing adventure machine. Thank you JLWranglerForums contributors for all the information that led me to this purchase. And thanks to Phillip Olson and his team for making this a wonderful purchase experience.

-- Dan

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe purchase and 1150 mile drive home ywb
Check your tire pressures. Sometimes they come a little overinflated. Mine were over 40 lbs and steering wondered a bit. Backed them down to 35 lbs. Tracks good now.

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mmm. Yes, tire pressures on the 20" wheels is 42 psi +/- 1psi. I will let some air out and see how that helps.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
There is a thread about towing behind an RV. It has some good information.

amprice4

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4XE
I’m waiting on mine to show up at Bud Clary. I went through Phillip Olson as well and he made me a killer deal on a custom order. I’m in AZ and plan on flying up there when the vehicle lands. Just out of curiosity, what was the cost going to be to have it shipped? I’ve been a little nervous to take on that drive with the sporadic check engine light issues that some are experiencing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The delivery priced out at about $1 per mile, all in. I saw cheaper quotes, but trusted Phillip's choice of delivery service. Having said that, I went to pick it up when the delivery service told me that they were unable to make the pick-up due to an unforeseen circumstance of the driver. In the end, it cost me about half of the delivery price, to fly up and drive it back myself. It took time, but was a lovely drive through great scenery.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Congrats! Looks awesome!!

And you’ll find the answer to most things is, yes - it’s a Jeep thing 😜

just wait until you get it off-road - tons of fun

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
That's cool - 20" High Altitude wheels? - did your Jeep come with those or were they take-offs from a HA?

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I'm sure your steering is fine. Even attempting to compare a recirculating ball steering box, to a rack and pinion steering system is a fools errand. As someone who has driven many, many recirculating ball setups, trust me the JL is like a damn rolls royce in comparison to most.
Enjoy it!

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
That's cool - 20" High Altitude wheels? - did your Jeep come with those or were they take-offs from a HA?
The 4xe Saharas seem to all be coming with the High Altitude wheels. Mine did. In fact, ours are twins!
Sponsored