Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I would be leery of buying one until they been out a few years. My 2018 JL has been nothing but trouble. Controls, relays, stop/start battery, radio. It has been at the dealer 4 times for repairs because of electrical issues. It has 33000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealer last week from being repaired. This week it is another issue. I will take it in for that on Thursday. This is my 4th Wrangler and all the JK's were pretty trouble free. I think it is time to trade it off.
Gary, although my similar model Wrangler has on the whole been good--by no means perfect--I completely agree with you on having trepidation over being on the bleeding edge of a new propulsion system for the Wrangler, with all its potential for malfunction, or worse, safety issues.

This isn't to say I'm not interested in it. I very much plan on watching it, and after kinks, if any, are addressed, eventually getting one.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have driven a short range EV since 2016. it’s rated at 68 miles but the real world range is about 60. That doesn’t seem like much but all I have to do is plug in at night and I have the same amount of range every day. The short range of a PHEV can be hard to get our head around but that range is new every day. All you have to do is take 8 seconds to plug it in at night and another 8 seconds to unplug in the morning.
And if electricity is cheap in your area (like mine) it can save about $500-750 in gas a year on daily commuting alone (10mi each way). For me it would be about $6500 for a 5-year loan, or $13k over 10 years, savings when including cost of electricity, when I eventually move out of the city.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
gschones, It has three modes, gas and battery, gas only, or battery only. The switch is just under the steering wheel on the left.

The 4xe will be my third "first out of the gate" vehicle order and I've never had any issues with the previous two. The first order/buy was a 2005 Corvette (the first year of the C7 body style) and then the 2018 JLU Sahara. (of course first year for the JL body) Will the 4xe be the end of my winning streak! I don't think so. As others have said the hybrid engine technology is already in use in the Chrysler Pacifica. I enjoy the thrill of lining up to be the first to try the latest and greatest new toys...of course I'm sure I would be singing a different tune had my previous two experiences been less than stellar.

Last edited:

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

5 min production video:

Reactions: eck

Sponsored

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Gary, although my similar model Wrangler has on the whole been good--by no means perfect--I completely agree with you on having trepidation over being on the bleeding edge of a new propulsion system for the Wrangler, with all its potential for malfunction, or worse, safety issues.

This isn't to say I'm not interested in it. I very much plan on watching it, and after kinks, if any, are addressed, eventually getting one.
I would like to have one as well. I am just going to let someone else be the ginnea pig. I am considering another JL. I don't keep them over 3 years. By then they will have the bugs worked out.

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gschones, It has three modes, gas and battery, gas only, or battery only. The switch is just under the steering wheel on the left.

The 4xe will be my third "first out of the gate" vehicle order and I've never had any issues with the previous two. The first order/buy was a 2005 Corvette (the first year of the C7 body style) and then the 2018 JLU Sahara. (of course first year for the JL body) Will the 4xe be the end of my winning streak! I don't think so. As others have said the hybrid engine technology is already in use in the Chrysler Pacifica. I enjoy the thrill of lining up to be the first to try the latest and greatest new toys...of course I'm sure I would be singing a different tune had my previous two experiences been less than stellar.
I Have driven nothing but Wranglers for years. I typically get a new one every 3 years. I will probably get another JL and look at the EV when I trade it in 3 years. I got my 2018 JL right out if the gate when they came out. I think they have sorted out the issues by now.

DJohanis

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black 4XE JL Rubicon Unlimited
I would be leery of buying one until they been out a few years. My 2018 JL has been nothing but trouble. Controls, relays, stop/start battery, radio. It has been at the dealer 4 times for repairs because of electrical issues. It has 33000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealer last week from being repaired. This week it is another issue. I will take it in for that on Thursday. This is my 4th Wrangler and all the JK's were pretty trouble free. I think it is time to trade it off.
[/QUOTE
Sorry to hear. My 2018 JLUR just hit 115,000 kms trouble free. Except for a cracked windshield I’ve had no issues so far

Reactions: VNT

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear. My 2018 JLUR just hit 115,000 kms trouble free. Except for a cracked windshield I’ve had no issues so far
I will still buy another JL soon. I have had to have the stop/start battery replaced. The radio freaked out and started changing my heater and AC at rapid speed all by itself. Another tine it me a warning to pull over that the vehicle was going to shut down and it did. I had to have it towed in and it was at the dealer for 5 days. I put it in 4H last weekend and when in stopped it would not come out of park. The check engine light came on and a message to ss

Be sure to let me know how that works out for you..

bmorebombz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mojito JLU
The fact that Jeep has not priced the 392 or this yet makes me think they are going to be WAY more expensive than most people expect.
SO is looking at a new Grand Cherokee and my dealer told me they were told MSRP will be $85K with all the option boxes checked.

J Bozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You're hitting the nail on the head in my view. I think this will be a failure if it is priced $10K+ (not including the side options like LED group and Premium Audio) for just the hybrid powertrain. I have to think that there are a ton of people who are like my wife and I that we are down to purchase at the $7500 and below hit price but will balk at it above that.

So, if these don't sell, they spent a ton of money on R&D and STILL get stuck with all of the CAFE fines. It would be a big double-whammy.
At 7,500 I’ll take 6 of them 😉
Sponsored