Sponsored

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Updated with production video:

2021 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe Joins Toledo Assembly Family

December 11, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA’s Toledo Assembly Complex this week launched production of the innovative 2021 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid. The most technologically advanced Wrangler ever delivers zero-emission open air driving on- and off-road, with up to 25 miles of electric-only range and nearly 400 miles of total range. Assembly of the Wrangler 4xe, including its 17 kilowatt-hour battery pack and 375-horsepower, 470 lb.-ft. of torque electrified powertrain with two electric motors, is integrated into the existing Wrangler assembly line and built on two shifts by more than 3,200 UAW-represented employees at the Toledo North plant in Ohio. The 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe arrives at dealer showrooms in early 2021.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-7
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-1-scaled
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-5
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-6-scaled
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-4
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-3
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE production begins. Arriving to dealerships in January...? Production-launch-of-the-2021-Jeep®-Wrangler-Unlimited-4xe.-Jeep-2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Now is not the time for Jeep to introduce two new models with a price no one can afford in the current economy and considering how many people are unemployed/underemployed due to the pandemic. I would bet its going to come in on the lower end of speculation. Also, take the new C8 Corvette for example, it was launched at a ridiculously low price to get them out on the road and being seen by potential customers. We are their greatest marketing tool. I would think Jeeps strategy would be to get the first year model of the 4xe and the 392 out on the roads at an affordable price (low or no profit margin for Jeep) for everyone to drool over, then gradually bump up the price in later years.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Now is not the time for Jeep to introduce two new models with a price no one can afford in the current economy and considering how many people are unemployed/underemployed due to the pandemic. I would bet its going to come in on the lower end of speculation. Also, take the new C8 Corvette for example, it was launched at a ridiculously low price to get them out on the road and being seen by potential customers. We are their greatest marketing tool. I would think Jeeps strategy would be to get the first year model of the 4xe and the 392 out on the roads at an affordable price (low or no profit margin for Jeep) for everyone to drool over, then gradually bump up the price in later years.
The 4xE and 392 are not Costco rotisserie chickens designed as a loss leader. They need to be very profitable to justify the enormous R&D/tooling costs associated with building them. (Especially since they’re going to be relatively low volume)

I don’t expect to see a 392 under $75k or a 4xE rubicon under $70k. If I’m wrong I’ll be super happy, but I’m a realistic person.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
They are building this because they are tired of paying big fines to the Feds for not meeting MPG goals, and carbon offsets (or whatever it's called) to Tesla. The situation will get even worse with the thirsty 392 V8 Wrangler. They could sell the 4XE at cost and still come out way ahead. But my guess is they will start out priced high to see what the market will bear. If they don't sell enough to offset the low mpg/higher pollution vehicles, then the price will drop to get them out the door. With PSA in the picture, they will now have other fuel-efficient/low carbon vehicles to sell, so the 4XE is no longer their only offset option.

PokerMunkee

First Name
Poker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 XK 5.7 QD-II
Who the F would pay $70k for this? 25 miles of electric range? LoL

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
People said the same thing about Apple's absurdly priced over-the-ear headphones priced at $550. They are backordered until January.

People buying new vehicles are not hurting in this economy, in fact in most cases, they're doing better. A lot of workers haven't seen their income go down, but they also haven't been spending money on $200 dinners, $100 bar tabs, or $10,000 vacations. They've got money to burn.

The 4XE and 392 are exactly the type of vehicles Jeep should releasing.

The fact that Jeep has not priced the 392 or this yet makes me think they are going to be WAY more expensive than most people expect.
392, probably.

These won't carry a huge premium, figure between $3,000 - $10,000, with it most likely being between $4,000 and $7,500, making them cheaper (with the $7500 tax credit) than a regular wrangler. The whole purpose of the 4XE is to stop spending millions each year buying CAFE credits and/or paying CAFE fines. They can't accomplish that if they don't sell them.

Who the F would pay $70k for this? 25 miles of electric range? LoL
It may be possible to spec one that high, but I doubt it.

Sponsored

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
People said the same thing about Apple's absurdly priced over-the-ear headphones priced at $550. They are backordered until January.

People buying new vehicles are not hurting in this economy, in fact in most cases, they're doing better. A lot of workers haven't seen their income go down, but they also haven't been spending money on $200 dinners, $100 bar tabs, or $10,000 vacations. They've got money to burn.

The 4XE and 392 are exactly the type of vehicles Jeep should releasing.

392, probably.

These won't carry a huge premium, figure between $3,000 - $10,000, with it most likely being between $4,000 and $7,500, making them cheaper (with the $7500 tax credit) than a regular wrangler. The whole purpose of the 4XE is to stop spending millions each year buying CAFE credits and/or paying CAFE fines. They can't accomplish that if they don't sell them.

It may be possible to spec one that high, but I doubt it.
You're hitting the nail on the head in my view. I think this will be a failure if it is priced $10K+ (not including the side options like LED group and Premium Audio) for just the hybrid powertrain. I have to think that there are a ton of people who are like my wife and I that we are down to purchase at the $7500 and below hit price but will balk at it above that.

So, if these don't sell, they spent a ton of money on R&D and STILL get stuck with all of the CAFE fines. It would be a big double-whammy.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
The 4xE and 392 are not Costco rotisserie chickens designed as a loss leader. They need to be very profitable to justify the enormous R&D/tooling costs associated with building them. (Especially since they’re going to be relatively low volume)

I don’t expect to see a 392 under $75k or a 4xE rubicon under $70k. If I’m wrong I’ll be super happy, but I’m a realistic person.
[/QUOTE
I think you’ll be super happy.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
There is a discussion in the Bronco6g forum about the 4xe production. A lot of haters! Lol! I have a Bronco reservation but I’m exhausted with all the poor quality and communication. A lot of folks complaining about the 4xe short 25 mile range. Some thought 25 miles was the advertised max range. I took the opportunity to educate, maybe convert a few. 🤷‍♂️

Full disclosure, I still have a Bronco reservation, but when I finally actually read up on the 4xe, she took my heart!

Here’s my post,... just the facts Ma’am... Lol!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/jeep-delivers-on-4xe-production-assy-vid.9964/post-360405
Sponsored

Last edited: