4xe Power Delivery, Mileage, etc.

Bill Reiter

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Toyota FJ Cruiser; '08 Yukon; '05 CTS-V
There is some great information on this topic on the "order status" thread. I seems like the interest/discussion level merits its own thread.

Here is why I am worried:

Background: I just received notice that my Rubicon 4xe order just went D1 and is expected to be here in early/mid March. Although the 4xe will be used as a daily (kid hauler/grocery getter), it will get substantial and frequent use as an off-roader (moderate + level trails).

It seems from this thread (the info on the "order status" thread) that the power delivery will always be full electric power with CE supplementing the electric when extra thrust is needed until the battery is depleted (to 10%), at which time power delivery goes to CE with just a bit of battery left to occasionally supplement.

My problem is this--most good trails are at least 30+ highway miles away from my home, so we have a 30+ mile drive before we get to the trail. Does this mean that I am going to have no electric charge and be on full CE (with 500+ extra pounds of extra weight) for all of our off-roading? That would be far from ideal for off-roading.

I thought we could drive to the trail on primarily CE power and drive the trail on primarily electric supplemented by CE when needed.

This uncertainty has me questioning the hybrid choice.
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
There is some great information on this topic on the "order status" thread. I seems like the interest/discussion level merits its own thread.

Here is why I am worried:

Background: I just received notice that my Rubicon 4xe order just went D1 and is expected to be here in early/mid March. Although the 4xe will be used as a daily (kid hauler/grocery getter), it will get substantial and frequent use as an off-roader (moderate + level trails).

It seems from this thread (the info on the "order status" thread) that the power delivery will always be full electric power with CE supplementing the electric when extra thrust is needed until the battery is depleted (to 10%), at which time power delivery goes to CE with just a bit of battery left to occasionally supplement.

My problem is this--most good trails are at least 30+ highway miles away from my home, so we have a 30+ mile drive before we get to the trail. Does this mean that I am going to have no electric charge and be on full CE (with 500+ extra pounds of extra weight) for all of our off-roading? That would be far from ideal for off-roading.

I thought we could drive to the trail on primarily CE power and drive the trail on primarily electric supplemented by CE when needed.

This uncertainty has me questioning the hybrid choice.
You can drive on all gas to the trail then switch to electric.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
You could use the "eSave" mode to use only IC engine for power to the trailhead, then hit the hybrid button (or restart as that is the default mode). eSave has two modes. The first saves the battery charge for later; the second charges the battery using the IC engine as a generator while driving.

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Power Delivery, Mileage, etc. 1612563315455