4xe Parking/Emergency Brake Extension for Lift/Droop

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
This has come up from myself and a couple others within other threads, and I figured it deserves it's own so we can get some visibility and (hopefully) a solution.

The rear parking brake on the 4xe has a slightly different configuration than the standard JL. As in the JL, the parking brake line is not long enough for full droop on longer shocks (somewhere in the 29-30" extended range). In the JL/JLU the parking brake cable can be rerouted under the frame crossmember to allow for additional droop (synergy even makes a bracket to accommodate this). In the 4xe, the tub sheetmetal prevents this from happening since it creates a wall at the front of the crossmember.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Parking/Emergency Brake Extension for Lift/Droop 1644338998890

In order to run full droop on my current setup, I need a solid 2-3" more slack. I've got the wire "bracket" that holds the cable up completely remove (that's what normally goes on the studs you see in the picture.

I've looked for an aftermarket solution, but it doesn't appear to exist (assuming due to the fact that this isn't an issue when the cable are rerouted on the JL). There are aftermarket cables, but they are for the UD60 swap that has the spring assembly at the disks instead of running down the axle.

My best idea so far is to see if JT stock cables would work.

Any ideas? Brainstorming appreciated.
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I know mine is tight. I think in the regular JL you route the parking brakes under the crossmember. Not really possible with the 4xe. My Fox shocks are listed at something over 29", and while my brake lines are tight, I can still get to full droop. Of course I had to take them out of the brackets too.
I do agree it would be nice to come up with an after market solution. I was thinking of some way to extend what we already have.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
This has come up from myself and a couple others within other threads, and I figured it deserves it's own so we can get some visibility and (hopefully) a solution.

The rear parking brake on the 4xe has a slightly different configuration than the standard JL. As in the JL, the parking brake line is not long enough for full droop on longer shocks (somewhere in the 29-30" extended range). In the JL/JLU the parking brake cable can be rerouted under the frame crossmember to allow for additional droop (synergy even makes a bracket to accommodate this). In the 4xe, the tub sheetmetal prevents this from happening since it creates a wall at the front of the crossmember.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Parking/Emergency Brake Extension for Lift/Droop 1644338998890

In order to run full droop on my current setup, I need a solid 2-3" more slack. I've got the wire "bracket" that holds the cable up completely remove (that's what normally goes on the studs you see in the picture.

I've looked for an aftermarket solution, but it doesn't appear to exist (assuming due to the fact that this isn't an issue when the cable are rerouted on the JL). There are aftermarket cables, but they are for the UD60 swap that has the spring assembly at the disks instead of running down the axle.

My best idea so far is to see if JT stock cables would work.

Any ideas? Brainstorming appreciated.
I did not change the routing of the parking brake. I have a forklift lined up for Friday where I will max out flex to see if I have the issue with both the parking brake and the rear passenger side shock clearance. I will keep you posted. The Rocksports are 30" fully extended and 17.7 fully collapsed.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I did not change the routing of the parking brake. I have a forklift lined up for Friday where I will max out flex to see if I have the issue with both the parking brake and the rear passenger side shock clearance. I will keep you posted. The Rocksports are 30" fully extended and 17.7 fully collapsed.
Awesome. Passenger side was the issue, IIRC. I had the Jeep on jackstands with the axle fully drooped on both sides, so there is a chance with the axle at an angle that it would be a non-issue.

Look forward to your feedback!

Sponsored

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
@TeraFlex Just put my order in for the new Parking Brake extension kit (linked above). Said it was backordered when I checked out. Any word on availability?

dcm80401

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe / 2023 JLUR 4xe
@TeraFlex Just put my order in for the new Parking Brake extension kit (linked above). Said it was backordered when I checked out. Any word on availability?
I ordered about 5 minutes ago and I didn't see that. However I did order the speaker relocation for the Teraflex carrier last week and it did note that it was on backorder, but it shipped the next day. So we will see.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I ordered about 5 minutes ago and I didn't see that. However I did order the speaker relocation for the Teraflex carrier last week and it did note that it was on backorder, but it shipped the next day. So we will see.
Hopefully you didn't beat me to it and get the last one :)

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
You guys are sharp eyed! We just released this kit not even a week ago.

It looks like we have all the parts to build the kits on hand, and the kits just need to be assembled. I would put my best guess for ETA about 1-2 weeks out.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

It looks like we have all the parts to build the kits on hand, and the kits just need to be assembled. I would put my best guess for ETA about 1-2 weeks out.
Great! Thanks for the quick reply!

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Pretty quick for a backorder.

5 minute install, 1/2” or 13mm socket and wrench and a pair of channel locks to yank on the parking brake tab.

FYI, the same 13mm wrench works to depress the tabs on the stock fitting holding the line to the axle, makes quick work of it.

Hooking the hook to the tab, then stretching the axle mount in place seemed to be the easiest way to get it back together.

07EDA643-0C90-4275-B1F6-EEB100E17233.jpeg

5C108A53-D155-4F7C-9672-331D47DFBAAD.jpeg

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired