Sponsored

4Xe owners: please post you actual real world fuel mileage MPG

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
My Rubicon 4xe says 41.1mpg lifetime (2300 miles). My 19 JL (V6) averaged 16.9mpg lifetime..

I’m very happy.

FLJeep1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I have 9200 miles on mine. I hand calculate the tank at fill up if I want to check mpg.

I am usually 60% gas or hybrid and 40% ev. I will get 32-34 mpg in the city this way.

On the road at 65 mph I get 21mpg. At 75 mph 19 mpg.

Stock tires and suspension.

Rowbaretow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I’ve owned my 4xe Rubicon for almost 2k miles. My daily commute is 11-19 miles one way depending on the route I take. I charge for free at work and also plug the Jeep in at home or wherever I am going if available. Here in Oregon we have a lot of free EV chargers or they charge just $1 an hour for level 2. I’ve taken a few 240 mile road trips and some 100 mile trips to see my dad where I could only charge once obviously.

I notice on the long trips with a charge before leaving I end up with 26-22 mpg. This is with mixed driving between 55 and 85 mph. So I will say my true gas mpg is gonna be around the EPA rated as advertised 19-21.

Now on my trip A which I reset at the gas pump I see it showing low for MPG. This is probably due to the Jeep calculating electric driving at 99MPG and not infinite. If I do my own calculations by taking the trip total and dividing by gallons added, I’m getting significantly more real world MPG then The Jeep says.

I don’t know how many true gallons I’ve put in so life time mileage on Trip B so I have to fake some numbers. I assume the worst of getting 18 miles per gallon on gas. So I take my gas lifetime miles and divide by 18. That’s my gallons used. I then take total gas and electric miles and divide by the gallons used I came up with. That yields me roughly 45 mpg on my lifetime trip even though it says something more like 33 mpg.

Overall I am happy with the performance because the real determining factor that shows it works and is worth it is how many miles per tank I get and how often I fill up.

This engine model is a great idea for people like me. I sold a tesla model 3 long range and was scared coming home on the long 240 mile trips. It’s estimated electric miles was bad and I’d have 15 left when getting into my drive way. The 4xe I never shave fear as gas is everywhere. I love using full electric for store, work, restaurant, or whatever trips which fill a majority of my time and miles. Every now and then I make a big trip.

Final thoughts, if it were not for the $7,500 tax incentive, I would not have bought this model. I’d have gone with a much less expensive sport s with a few extras and a different engine choice. The tax incentive paid for the engine upgrade which made for a very attractive offer. I have no regrets and love my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe. I hope they can drop the engine upgrade price soon and offer it on the entire trim lineup.

Sponsored

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve owned my 4xe Rubicon for almost 2k miles. My daily commute is 11-19 miles one way depending on the route I take. I charge for free at work and also plug the Jeep in at home or wherever I am going if available. Here in Oregon we have a lot of free EV chargers or they charge just $1 an hour for level 2. I’ve taken a few 240 mile road trips and some 100 mile trips to see my dad where I could only charge once obviously.

I notice on the long trips with a charge before leaving I end up with 26-22 mpg. This is with mixed driving between 55 and 85 mph. So I will say my true gas mpg is gonna be around the EPA rated as advertised 19-21.

Now on my trip A which I reset at the gas pump I see it showing low for MPG. This is probably due to the Jeep calculating electric driving at 99MPG and not infinite. If I do my own calculations by taking the trip total and dividing by gallons added, I’m getting significantly more real world MPG then The Jeep says.

I don’t know how many true gallons I’ve put in so life time mileage on Trip B so I have to fake some numbers. I assume the worst of getting 18 miles per gallon on gas. So I take my gas lifetime miles and divide by 18. That’s my gallons used. I then take total gas and electric miles and divide by the gallons used I came up with. That yields me roughly 45 mpg on my lifetime trip even though it says something more like 33 mpg.

Overall I am happy with the performance because the real determining factor that shows it works and is worth it is how many miles per tank I get and how often I fill up.

This engine model is a great idea for people like me. I sold a tesla model 3 long range and was scared coming home on the long 240 mile trips. It’s estimated electric miles was bad and I’d have 15 left when getting into my drive way. The 4xe I never shave fear as gas is everywhere. I love using full electric for store, work, restaurant, or whatever trips which fill a majority of my time and miles. Every now and then I make a big trip.

Final thoughts, if it were not for the $7,500 tax incentive, I would not have bought this model. I’d have gone with a much less expensive sport s with a few extras and a different engine choice. The tax incentive paid for the engine upgrade which made for a very attractive offer. I have no regrets and love my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe. I hope they can drop the engine upgrade price soon and offer it on the entire trim lineup.
We are selling our Model Y for our 4XE. I do agree that Tesla is HORRIBLE at range estimates. My 326mi gets maybe 230-250 real world, even worse on the highway and in the cold weather of Chicago. Worse thing is on a trip, it might be only 200 miles and you have to stop because you don't have enough range to get to the next SuperCharger. We took a lot of longer trips in ours and I just feel like the range isn't there yet with pure EV's for long travel. I love the initiative, but I feel we still have some time to solely rely on EV's. PHEV's I think are the perfect transition mix.

Your post makes it hopeful that we will enjoy our 4XE, especially for short range trips to work and back. It was a tough choice for us, but we've both wanted another Jeep and I agree, with the tax incentive, it really helps make the move.

Does anyone know what the real world approx tank milage is in Hybrid mode? Say I have my battery at 1%, but fill the tank all the way up. At 17 gallons, I would assume around 300?

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
We are selling our Model Y for our 4XE. I do agree that Tesla is HORRIBLE at range estimates. My 326mi gets maybe 230-250 real world, even worse on the highway and in the cold weather of Chicago. Worse thing is on a trip, it might be only 200 miles and you have to stop because you don't have enough range to get to the next SuperCharger. We took a lot of longer trips in ours and I just feel like the range isn't there yet with pure EV's for long travel. I love the initiative, but I feel we still have some time to solely rely on EV's. PHEV's I think are the perfect transition mix.

Your post makes it hopeful that we will enjoy our 4XE, especially for short range trips to work and back. It was a tough choice for us, but we've both wanted another Jeep and I agree, with the tax incentive, it really helps make the move.

Does anyone know what the real world approx tank milage is in Hybrid mode? Say I have my battery at 1%, but fill the tank all the way up. At 17 gallons, I would assume around 300?
Yes about 300 assuming you arent going to run it dry. 340 to completely empty.

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes about 300 assuming you arent going to run it dry. 340 to completely empty.
Thanks for the reply. Just trying to calculate the cost of ownership and the road trip worthiness of the Jeep. Not the best MPG, but with the top back, it makes it a great time!

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. Just trying to calculate the cost of ownership and the road trip worthiness of the Jeep. Not the best MPG, but with the top back, it makes it a great time!
For me, gas miles are twice as expensive as electric. So short trips are where the 4xe shines. I havent had road trip in the 4xe yet but my commute to the office is 50 miles one way (I switch between taking the 4xe and my wife's civic). So most of my hybrid miles are highway miles to my office and my mpg calculated on my app is about 20. So I'd say realistically use 20 mpg in your calculations. For me, my old JKU I traded it in for got 16-19 mpg. It was mostly my commuter and roadtrip vehicle. So in my book, even without electric miles the 4xe is an upgrade to me. Road trip worthiness is a subjective term though. Can't speak to Teslas but I'd say the 4xe is the best riding jeep due to the better weight distribution, so thats also a factor for roadtrips too.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I say it all the time "If they come out with a color I like, I'd flip my 2021 JL in a flash". Especially no that we have a Tesla Powerwall installed.

Sponsored

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, gas miles are twice as expensive as electric. So short trips are where the 4xe shines. I havent had road trip in the 4xe yet but my commute to the office is 50 miles one way (I switch between taking the 4xe and my wife's civic). So most of my hybrid miles are highway miles to my office and my mpg calculated on my app is about 20. So I'd say realistically use 20 mpg in your calculations. For me, my old JKU I traded it in for got 16-19 mpg. It was mostly my commuter and roadtrip vehicle. So in my book, even without electric miles the 4xe is an upgrade to me. Road trip worthiness is a subjective term though. Can't speak to Teslas but I'd say the 4xe is the best riding jeep due to the better weight distribution, so thats also a factor for roadtrips too.
The wife's commute is about 20 miles each way per day. Hopefully during the summer months, she can at least get some battery from it. I agree, short trips is why we bought the 4XE for the electric around town. We are also moving out West this year so that was another reason to ditch the Tesla for more than we paid in 2020 to get into a Jeep. Its a win/win in our books. My last jeep was a 98 TJ and I haven't ridden in one since then. Our Tesla is bumpy as hell, so excited to get some shock absorption in the 4XE. I didn't think of the weight distribution, so that is great to hear on the road riding!

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wife's commute is about 20 miles each way per day. Hopefully during the summer months, she can at least get some battery from it. I agree, short trips is why we bought the 4XE for the electric around town. We are also moving out West this year so that was another reason to ditch the Tesla for more than we paid in 2020 to get into a Jeep. Its a win/win in our books. My last jeep was a 98 TJ and I haven't ridden in one since then. Our Tesla is bumpy as hell, so excited to get some shock absorption in the 4XE. I didn't think of the weight distribution, so that is great to hear on the road riding!
1 ride per day will probably be fully in electric for her.

GeGesPearl

First Name
RaynGwen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4XE

We average 27-30 miles on electric - depending on weather conditions - heat, wind, or rainy conditions - always got more than the 21 miles stated in the manuals.
When we are traveling we average 27 mpg unless it’s hilly then we have dropped as low as 22 mpg on a tank. Hope that helps.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
~3000 miles and a steady 36.5

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Depends how anal you are about using the full electric mode. If you have a lot of discipline and can do the efforts to run on e-mode only, you can do miracles with that technology.

My brother who was the type to use cruise control at 55 mph on the highway to avoid spending too much gas and also avoid having to pass people , is still on the same tank of gas his Jeep was delivered in, in may 2021!!!!
As soon as he gets home, he puts the charger on, his work commute is 15 miles each way and he can charge it at work. So the engine comes on once in a while to make the oil circulate and thats it.
Sponsored