sleeper_s

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wait... how can the post above yours be getting 24mpg and your getting 45/double. 45mpg is actually worth me doing a trade in, 24mpg is not worth the trouble.
24mpg makes zero sense to me…. I have the 2.0 Turbo and drive around 80mph, heavy foot 70 miles round trip and am averaging 22mph…
Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
I'm still in break-in right now (60 miles on the clock) and so far it's used the gas motor once for about 3 miles while in hybrid mode. I'm starting to think it might be a good thing to run the battery down and just run the 2.0L in for a bit until it's through the rest of the 300 miles. Thoughts?

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm still in break-in right now (60 miles on the clock) and so far it's used the gas motor once for about 3 miles while in hybrid mode. I'm starting to think it might be a good thing to run the battery down and just run the 2.0L in for a bit until it's through the rest of the 300 miles. Thoughts?
You can just run in e-save to run engine only. Also 4xe has failsafe built in to run the engine when it feels the gas and oil might be getting stale. They thought of everything. It's all in the owners manual.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
This thread needs a bump.

It fits my driving habits pretty spot on (< 10 mile commute each way), free fast charger at work means I don't have to plug in at home except weekends.

That being said, I am not getting the 4xe because I think I will one day get my money back with gas savings. I got it for the extra power and novelty of driving silently once in a blue moon. In fact, I would not be buying this if not for the $7500 tax credit. Once I added similar options on a regular Rubicon, the price was so close, I went for the 4xe. The 10 year electric and battery warranty was icing on the cake.
Reading through my warranty (just got my 4xe 4 days ago) and saw that the 10yr is a battery warranty. Was trying to figure out where the rest of the hybrid stuff goes. my salesman called Jeep and confirmed that ALL hybrid components, including the inverters and controllers, are covered under the 5yr 60Kmiles. ONLY the battery is 10 yrs

Last edited:

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Can you 4Xe owners please post you actual fuel mileage. I'm just curious what real word mileage looks like.
Everyone has done a great job explaining why that is such a hard question to answer. I think your best bet would be if you could describe your most common day-to-day driving scenarios. Then people could weigh in on whether the 4xe is a good match for you.

Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
You can just run in e-save to run engine only. Also 4xe has failsafe built in to run the engine when it feels the gas and oil might be getting stale. They thought of everything. It's all in the owners manual.
What I've noticed though is that e-save doesn't always just shut the battery off and turn the motor on. It seems to be variable based on charge state of the battery for me. I did a lot of 'pre-reading' of the hybrid supplement before mine was delivered and decided to break it out again last night to do some more digging after being puzzled by this new discovery. Maybe I'm just a newb figuring this out now but unless you're under 95% charge, e-save will not kick in when it's put into charge mode (instead of store) because that is the maximum charge it will redeliver to the battery on it's own without an EVSE. I did however find the work around to force the motor into action by putting the trans in manual mode (hooray for reading skills). This, regardless of mode selection between hybrid and e-save, forces the engine in to life and will keep it engaged until automatic or another gear state (Park, Reverse, etc) is selected. Considering I really haven't had a chance to bed in the piston rings properly yet, I've more or less decided to continue this for the next few days so the engine can get some work put in during the break in (just crossed 100 miles last night. I know, I need to get with it and drive).

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
It’s all in how you use it. These numbers aren’t “real” numbers because it doesn’t factor in the cost of electricity. I have a level 2 charger and charge daily.

3D768CF7-3401-4558-9F32-E954FB424D95.png

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The dash mpg seems to only count engine on miles, making it deceptively low. Even in hybrid mode with a fully discharged battery, it's still able to use full electric on low load/downhill (which would normally be where your mpg averages back up on full time ICE).

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
The dash mpg seems to only count engine on miles, making it deceptively low. Even in hybrid mode with a fully discharged battery, it's still able to use full electric on low load/downhill (which would normally be where your mpg averages back up on full time ICE).
Ok, now I know you know that an electric motor runs on battery. So maybe the battery never really depletes all the way regardless of "<1%" on the dashboard..

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Reading through my warranty (just got my 4xe 4 days ago) and saw that the 10yr is a battery warranty. Was trying to figure out where the rest of the hybrid stuff goes. my salesman called Jeep and confirmed that ALL hybrid components, including the inverters and controllers, are covered under the 5yr 60Kmiles. ONLY the battery is 10 yrs
The electric motor is more part of the 'powertrain' than most hybrids. That would put the two electric motors in the 5/60 powertrain warranty, right? And if that were true, then the inverter would also be part of the 5/60. That would make sense to me, and the battery is 10 years. I hope this is the case and your salesman has it wrong. This tangent belongs in a new thread.

EDIT: Your salesman is wrong. This is on my window sticker :

Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe owners: please post you actual real world fuel mileage MPG 1631057919168

Last edited:

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ok, now I know you know that an electric motor runs on battery. So maybe the battery never really depletes all the way regardless of "<1%" on the dashboard..
Ours will still go electric in hybrid <1%. Also, normally on down grades it will drop to electric and regen.

This is where my truck MPG shoots up and counts as 99 mpg on the instant read.

Fozzymandius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
For anyone reading this thread and confused by the very different numbers you'll find...

MPG is a bad metric and you shouldn't be using it to justify this purchase.

The EPA has a calculator and will adjust "MPGe" numbers depending on various factors, the most important of which is your electric utility rate. This is hugely important because your mix of use will determine everything. See it here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=phev1Prompt&model=43801

There are people going 1000 miles on a tank of gas. How can that be if they only get 24mpg? Wait, EPA says 49MPGe, but it has a 17.2 gallon tank. That's only 833 miles.

You need to run the numbers yourself.

My wife's commute is 17.5 miles, almost all highway, and she only charges at home. It's pretty easy to run the numbers ourselves. You get about 23 miles out of the electric battery. And then you're seeing about 22 mpg after that. So in a single day you run the battery out with 12 miles until you're home. Estimate 0.55 gallons of gas to finish the trip.

The battery without the reserve takes about 15 kWh to recharge and we have cheap electricity, $0.078/kWh
15*0.078= $1.17 to charge.
0.55 gallons of gas (we have meh gas prices, higher than normal right now. $3.60/gal).
0.55*3.60= $2 of gas.

This means that for the purposes of JUST the commute she spends $3.17 to drive 35 miles.
For her commute, you can estimate that if we only could use gasoline and had to pay $3.60 per gallon, she would get the 4xe gets the equivalent of 39 .7 mpg.

The absolute bounds are always going to be limited by electric range, electricity prices, your commute, and gas prices. If gas is cheap and electricity expensive, your MPGe will suck. If the opposite is true, you'll do great! If she changes work locations again to be 11 miles away, her MPGe switches entirely to electric (essentially) and suddenly the 4xe gets an astounding 67.7 MPGe.

For my purposes, and this depends entirely on your utility/fuel prices, electricity has 1/3 the cost per mile as gas.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
The electric motor is more part of the 'powertrain' than most hybrids. That would put the two electric motors in the 5/60 powertrain warranty, right? And if that were true, then the inverter would also be part of the 5/60. That would make sense to me, and the battery is 10 years. I hope this is the case and your salesman has it wrong. This tangent belongs in a new thread.

EDIT: Your salesman is wrong. This is on my window sticker :

Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe owners: please post you actual real world fuel mileage MPG 1631057919168
Here is it, I really had to push Jeep Chat to dig to help find it. The rest of the components are under emissions and under FCA LImited specifically to 10 yrs 100K miles. whew!

Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe owners: please post you actual real world fuel mileage MPG 1631117693033

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
For anyone reading this thread and confused by the very different numbers you'll find...

MPG is a bad metric and you shouldn't be using it to justify this purchase.

The EPA has a calculator and will adjust "MPGe" numbers depending on various factors, the most important of which is your electric utility rate. This is hugely important because your mix of use will determine everything. See it here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=phev1Prompt&model=43801

There are people going 1000 miles on a tank of gas. How can that be if they only get 24mpg? Wait, EPA says 49MPGe, but it has a 17.2 gallon tank. That's only 833 miles.

You need to run the numbers yourself.

My wife's commute is 17.5 miles, almost all highway, and she only charges at home. It's pretty easy to run the numbers ourselves. You get about 23 miles out of the electric battery. And then you're seeing about 22 mpg after that. So in a single day you run the battery out with 12 miles until you're home. Estimate 0.55 gallons of gas to finish the trip.

The battery without the reserve takes about 15 kWh to recharge and we have cheap electricity, $0.078/kWh
15*0.078= $1.17 to charge.
0.55 gallons of gas (we have meh gas prices, higher than normal right now. $3.60/gal).
0.55*3.60= $2 of gas.

This means that for the purposes of JUST the commute she spends $3.17 to drive 35 miles.
For her commute, you can estimate that if we only could use gasoline and had to pay $3.60 per gallon, she would get the 4xe gets the equivalent of 39 .7 mpg.

The absolute bounds are always going to be limited by electric range, electricity prices, your commute, and gas prices. If gas is cheap and electricity expensive, your MPGe will suck. If the opposite is true, you'll do great! If she changes work locations again to be 11 miles away, her MPGe switches entirely to electric (essentially) and suddenly the 4xe gets an astounding 67.7 MPGe.

For my purposes, and this depends entirely on your utility/fuel prices, electricity has 1/3 the cost per mile as gas.
This guy maths
🤓

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
It’s all in how you use it. These numbers aren’t “real” numbers because it doesn’t factor in the cost of electricity. I have a level 2 charger and charge daily.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe owners: please post you actual real world fuel mileage MPG 1631117693033
What app you using for that info? Checking UConnect and MyMopar and don't see that in there....thanks in advance!
Sponsored