4xE Order Status??

TDangelo1219

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4Xe
I ordered my JLUR 4xe on 12/28. The dealer just called with a VIN and said I am slated for production on 2/20, a little later than they expected, but okay. I'd like to find out once someone takes delivery of one of these what the actual gas mileage is once the battery charge is used up. I have 2 Toyota Hybrids (not plug-in), they both churn out about 30% better mpg than the non-hybrids since they recharge the batteries during braking, downhill, and with excess engine power. Hope Jeep is able to do the same.
A PHEV is so much different than a mild hybrid system. My Volvo only has a 16 mile EV range but driving around town I was able to go 2300 miles on a single tank. (13 gal tank) So you'll notice a huge improvement in day to day driving around town, and not so much on the highway.
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
A PHEV is so much different than a mild hybrid system. My Volvo only has a 16 mile EV range but driving around town I was able to go 2300 miles on a single tank. (13 gal tank) So you'll notice a huge improvement in day to day driving around town, and not so much on the highway.
Yep, a point I've also been trying to make.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
I guess what I don't understand is that if the battery is 17 k/w, and electricity cost is 15 cents per k/w, my first 25 miles costs $2.55, about the same as the 4 cylinder engine using gasoline. If I only can get 25 mpg or so after the battery is drained, why am I paying an extra $3000 or so for the hybrid? At least I am making my own electricity off solar panels, but is my math wrong?

Reactions: VNT

Doug997

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Q5, JLUR 4XE (on order)
JLUR 4XE most options (MSRP $66,775) ordered on 1/19, received VIN on 1/21 and just received this from the dealer...

I just checked on the status of your Jeep and it is in D1. Not etched in stone but it is saying it should be unloaded off the train in MA about 3/13

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Rates for Duke electric by me are $0.098/kwh so on paper that is about $1.67 for fully discharged battery if you use all 17kw to travel the 25 miles. Someone mentioned that there still is a 10% reserve on the battery pack so that would mean using 15.3kw for 25 miles which equates to $1.50 paid for 25 miles traveled. Local gas is $3/gallon for premium - so that would mean gas engine would be almost double; less if you run lower grade fuels. If you drive mostly city driving, you will probably cut your gas bill in half at current gas prices. Of course this is just fun armchair math and we'll have to see what happens in the real world once FCA begins delivering our 4xe's.

I don't have a crystal ball, but it is not hard for me to imagine that we will start seeing gas prices go up now that we have a change in federal policies towards fossil fuels, so savings may even be greater.

Sponsored

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Plus many like myself have access to free charging stations at work.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Rates for Duke electric by me are $0.098/kwh so on paper that is about $1.67 for fully discharged battery if you use all 17kw to travel the 25 miles. Someone mentioned that there still is a 10% reserve on the battery pack so that would mean using 15.3kw for 25 miles which equates to $1.50 paid for 25 miles traveled. Local gas is $3/gallon for premium - so that would mean gas engine would be almost double; less if you run lower grade fuels. If you drive mostly city driving, you will probably cut your gas bill in half at current gas prices. Of course this is just fun armchair math and we'll have to see what happens in the real world once FCA begins delivering our 4xe's.

I don't have a crystal ball, but it is not hard for me to imagine that we will start seeing gas prices go up now that we have a change in federal policies towards fossil fuels, so savings may even be greater.
Maybe that’s where the 50mpge number comes from. But I’ll bet there’re a lot of 4xe buyers out there who expect to get 50 mpg out of their Jeeps. Either way, it’ll be an interesting ride.

TDangelo1219

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4Xe
I guess what I don't understand is that if the battery is 17 k/w, and electricity cost is 15 cents per k/w, my first 25 miles costs $2.55, about the same as the 4 cylinder engine using gasoline. If I only can get 25 mpg or so after the battery is drained, why am I paying an extra $3000 or so for the hybrid? At least I am making my own electricity off solar panels, but is my math wrong?
Those are crazy high rates. I’m only paying around .09 kw at home and free at work so it makes sense for me. The solar panels makes perfect sense for you, otherwise not so much. Remember for that 3K premium you are also getting 375 hp and 470 tq plus a big tax credit, so it still makes sense. In my case just charging at home I figured it costs around .04 per electric mile and .10 per gas mile driven with my Pacifica. Those with really high rates might check with your electric co. to see if they offer better rates off peak. If they do you can set your Jeep to start charging say around 2am and not pay as much.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Those are crazy high rates. I’m only paying around .09 kw at home and free at work so it makes sense for me. The solar panels makes perfect sense for you, otherwise not so much. Remember for that 3K premium you are also getting 375 hp and 470 tq plus a big tax credit, so it still makes sense. In my case just charging at home I figured it costs around .04 per electric mile and .10 per gas mile driven with my Pacifica. Those with really high rates might check with your electric co. to see if they offer better rates off peak. If they do you can set your Jeep to start charging say around 2am and not pay as much.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
Jeep Chat says my 4XE is in JS status. So it is complete finally, and awaiting release. Im assuming at this point Jeep is not releasing any of these until the EPA MPG ratings are finalized, or something.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
JB status for me now....supposedly.

eLECTRICON

Maybe that’s where the 50mpge number comes from. But I’ll bet there’re a lot of 4xe buyers out there who expect to get 50 mpg out of their Jeeps. Either way, it’ll be an interesting ride.
You'll get about 45-50mpg in hybrid mode. Don't forget it charges itself while driving. So you don't need to calculate electricity cost unless you use electric only mode. Then you'll need to plug it in unless you drive long/far enough to charge what you used. But hybrid mode auto switches between gas and electric to keep your battery topped off.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
I just looked at my electric bills. I pay 14 to 16 cents here in NJ depending on time of year and 17 cents in Vermont plus $15 per month billing. You are getting off cheap, but on the other hand the solar panels really pay off quickly. I just added 11
You'll get about 45-50mpg in hybrid mode. Don't forget it charges itself while driving. So you don't need to calculate electricity cost unless you use electric only mode. Then you'll need to plug it in unless you drive long/far enough to charge what you used. But hybrid mode auto switches between gas and electric to keep your battery topped off.
Frankly, there’s no chance of getting 45mpg in hybrid mode once the battery’s drained. I have a new RAV4 Hybrid that barely cracks 45mpg and a new 4 cylinder Highlander Hybrid that gets about 35mpg. I’d be real happy with 30mpg out of my 4xe, considering it has the aerodynamics of a cinderblock and weighs about 1.6 RAV4s.

eLECTRICON

I just looked at my electric bills. I pay 14 to 16 cents here in NJ depending on time of year and 17 cents in Vermont plus $15 per month billing. You are getting off cheap, but on the other hand the solar panels really pay off quickly. I just added 11

Frankly, there’s no chance of getting 45mpg in hybrid mode once the battery’s drained. I have a new RAV4 Hybrid that barely cracks 45mpg and a new 4 cylinder Highlander Hybrid that gets about 35mpg. I’d be real happy with 30mpg out of my 4xe, considering it has the aerodynamics of a cinderblock and weighs about 1.6 RAV4s.
This is from an owner in the UK.
"I get up to 26 miles on a full charge, and when you've run out of battery the Jeep turns into a normal hybrid, generating electricity under braking and the e-motor helping out where it can. On a 51-mile drive around London our Jeep showed a 60.9mpg average, with 31.6 miles driven in electric mode."
And the Hummer hybrid H3 has 268 hp, a 40 mile all-electric range, and a fuel efficiency of over 100 mpg. Not MPGe.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
If the 4xe release was anything like the JL lease in ‘18 there will be models on the lot before anyone receives these order unfortunately. I’m keeping my eyes open.
Sponsored