Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
So after doing mild runs around the farm to get to know my JLUR4xe, we headed out west. Did engineer's pass from Silverton to Ouray, CO today and found a few quirks concerning the 4xe portion of the offroad arsenal.

First, it wants to run hybrid and rev the crap out of the 2.0 engine in 4-lo. So much so, it was annoying. Shifted from auto to manual shifting to get the rpms down. Hill decent is nice, but you can't really leave it engaged unless you plan to spend all day on a 5 mile trail. I'm sure these annoyances are the same for the ICE Rubicons too.

When selecting electric-only prior to shifting into 4-lo or using hill descent, the Jeep was much more predictible and enjoyable. I found that running in auto instead of auto-stick was much better. Regen braking eliminated the need for downshifting as was necessary when the engine was running. The power output climbing was phenomenal. Hill descent wasn't really necessary either in electric-only mode since regen did the work.

Headed to Moab next, but I'm already impressed with the improved pedal feel and offroad manners of this hybrid over ICE mode.

Note: I've done thousands of miles offroad in TJs and CJs, but this is my first JL so the electro-wizardry is foreign to me as compared to human-only inputs.

Update: sway bar disconnect is nice. Automatically re-connects above 20mph on straight dirt sections, then disconnects again before you get back into technical areas. Slower than about 15moh and flat area.

Coming down a steep gravel hill, max-regen KICKED-IN the ABS. Did that in both 2wd hi and 4wd hi-auto.

Doors off still "lock" above 20 mph which is nice with a cargo box in the back. You never mess with the locks unless you want to get something out of the back.

Rock crawling in electric is as phenomenal as expected. Quiet and torquey without the usual engine rev and overshoot when you crawl over an obstacle.

Discovered a drawback today to all that torque. Started spinning up a rock ledge so I let my foot off the skinny pedal, but the Jeep still wanted to go. Had to hit the brakes to stop the bunny-hopoing. Locked-in the rear diff and it climbed up just fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe offroad quirks 20210616_101429
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe offroad quirks 20210615_090443

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe offroad quirks 20210615_090405
Sponsored

Last edited:

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
So after doing mild runs around the farm to get to know my JLUR4xe, we headed out west. Did engineer's pass from Silverton to Ouray, CO today and found a few quirks concerning the 4xe portion of the offroad arsenal.

First, it wants to run hybrid and rev the crap out of the 2.0 engine in 4-lo. So much so, it was annoying. Shifted from auto to manual shifting to get the rpms down. Hill decent is nice, but you can't really leave it engaged unless you plan to spend all day on a 5 mile trail. I'm sure these annoyances are the same for the ICE Rubicons too.

When selecting electric-only prior to shifting into 4-lo or using hill descent, the Jeep was much more predictible and enjoyable. I found that running in auto instead of auto-stick was much better. Regen braking eliminated the need for downshifting as was necessary when the engine was running. The power output climbing was phenomenal. Hill descent wasn't really necessary either in electric-only mode since regen did the work.

Headed to Moab next, but I'm already impressed with the improved pedal feel and offroad manners of this hybrid over ICE mode.

Note: I've done thousands of miles offroad in TJs and CJs, but this is my first JL so the electro-wizardry is foreign to me as compared to human-only inputs.
Nice informative write-up Rick! Looking forward to hearing more.

What trails are you planning to do in Moab?

-Steven

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager

Looking forward to hearing more! My wife and I may get a 4xe in addition to my JLUR!

RUBIJIM

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner, 1967 Dodge R/T, 2018 Wrangler, Honda 750 K1
Did you know that the Hill Decent speed can be adjusted in 0.6 MPH increments if you are in manual mode? Display is really small above the fuel gauge.

Looks like some fun trips ahead!

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you know that the Hill Decent speed can be adjusted in 0.6 MPH increments if you are in manual mode? Display is really small above the fuel gauge.

Looks like some fun trips ahead!
Yes, it's pretty awesome. Like off-road cruise control.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to hearing more! My wife and I may get a 4xe in addition to my JLUR!
I think you'll like it. Its cheaper than the regular Rubicon with the tax credit and it has more power. Plus you get the added fun of looking for receptacles outside hotels.

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Receptacles for what exactly?
I carried my type 1 charger with me and plug the Jeep in overnight. Always at 100% the next morning since we walk to dinner and drinks after checking into the hotel.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator

Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
New member of NVJA, BTMN23, just bought a 4xe and will be at Rausch on the 26th. Come check it out.
I saw that! I wish I could!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a 4Xe yesterday: I was ready to be impressed; I wasn’t.

It felt heavy, stiff and unresponsive. Mating the 2.0T with the electric motor felt like a flat-footed couple trying to do the waltz.

I’m told that I should have test driven it in non-hybrid mode. Perhaps that’s true. Unfortunately, that would seem to defeat its purpose. In any event, there’s only so much one can try during a test drive.

The battery pack produces compromises inside. The rear seat is raised 2 inches, eating up rear headroom, and you end up with a theatre-like seating. There’s a huge 6-inch tall hump between the cargo floor and the folded seats, rendering sleeping inside impossible; and all storage space under the seat is gone.

I really wanted to like it. 4Xe seems to be the only Wrangler that is relatively plentiful around here at the moment. And the $7,500 tax credit is a nice bonus.

If I hadn’t owned a Wrangler before I’d probably liked it.

Just being honest.
Sponsored