First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Keep in mind that the 4xe has almost 100 more hp and 200 more lb-ft than the 3.6. If it can put out this much power while maintaining the same gas mileage as the 3.6 I think that's pretty significant.
Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
The 4xe is not making 100 more hp and 200 more ftlbs oft tq. Only when both electric and gas are operating at max output at the same time is it making that much power. The 3.6 is not making its max power all of the time either, It's only making Max power when the throttle is mashed and the engine is at optimum rpm ect. If you ran the 4xe at max power for an extended amount e.g towing a trailer.. the battery would deplete very quickly. Then the gas engine would be using some of its power to charge the battery so you would have parasitic loss running as a generator. You also have to figure the electric use in your gas milage. You were still using energy just in a different format. Also remember the 4xe has drivetrain loss with its electric motor unlike electric vehicles with axle or wheel mounted motors. I'm not saying the 4xe is good, bad, or otherwise. Just making some clarifications. I also have to imagine these mpg figures and ranges will be drastically different between 2 different drivers. There are people on here claiming between 15 and 24 mpg withe the 3.6. That's a pretty drastic difference.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
MPG? I don't care! The fact is, the 4Xe is second only to the 392 in HP and Torque. When you punch the 4XE you are getting the ICE and motors working at the same time.

Rarely are you using maximum power for extended periods of time, so your claim that the battery will be depleted is a very unlikely scenario. When do you constantly use maximum power with any power plant? You don't. If you tow a trailer, for example, then maybe the 4Xe is not for you, but for typical use, the 4Xe is second only to the 392 in terms of HP and torque.

Electric motors make more torque "off-the-line" than combustion engines (within reason). 4Xe haters love to say the 4Xe only has the HP and torque for the first 20 miles or so. Not true. They love to say that the battery will be depleted after 20 miles or so, not true. The 4Xe holds a reserve charge. The 4Xe is a hybrid, not a battery-only vehicle.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Never said anything about hating the 4xe. I also mentioned you don't use full power all of the time. If you punch the gas the electric motor has to be at full output and the gas motor has to be at full output with out generating electruc to charge the battery to achieve these numbers. That is assuming the programming will let this happen, and for how long it let's you have max output of the electric motor. Those hp and tq numbers are a combination for motor and engine output on a bench dyno. Just like any other vehicles rating. I would like to see rear wheel dyno numbers to see what it actually puts to the ground.

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
Never said anything about hating the 4xe. I also mentioned you don't use full power all of the time. If you punch the gas the electric motor has to be at full output and the gas motor has to be at full output with out generating electruc to charge the battery to achieve these numbers. That is assuming the programming will let this happen, and for how long it let's you have max output of the electric motor. Those hp and tq numbers are a combination for motor and engine output on a bench dyno. Just like any other vehicles rating. I would like to see rear wheel dyno numbers to see what it actually puts to the ground.
Your statement about the power under full throttle on long period is likely true. And I agree the engine will have to work harder when it needs to charger the battery on top of getting the Jeep going.
However, 4xe has quite a bit of reserve battery even after it indicates that the battery has less than 1% of juice. So even when it indicates low battery, you still get maximum combined power under full throttle.
And of course under the full throttle both electric motor and gas engine is giving their all meaning no charging battery under full throttle.
I would say 4xe pushes pretty hard starting from 2nd gear and up, and during that acceleration, my 4xe feels pretty close to my Challenger Scat Pack with 392 engine. 😉
Honestly, I fee like 4xe can get pretty close with Charger or Challenger R/T with 5.7 hemi on a highway roll race up to 97mph.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sboden

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I would hope for better MPG tbh. My 3.6/8 speed on 37s with lots of lift, armor, and beadlocks averaged 16.8mpg on a recent road trip. Speeds on the highway were mostly between 75-80.
There are lots of variables to gas mileage. I can only compare to my 3.6L with 37's which got a little over 12 mpg on this same route. No one can directly compare MPG. Even if I got the same, which I'm not, as my previous wrangler I'd have way more torque for the weight.

OP
OP
Sboden

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
The 4xe is not making 100 more hp and 200 more ftlbs oft tq. Only when both electric and gas are operating at max output at the same time is it making that much power. The 3.6 is not making its max power all of the time either, It's only making Max power when the throttle is mashed and the engine is at optimum rpm ect. If you ran the 4xe at max power for an extended amount e.g towing a trailer.. the battery would deplete very quickly. Then the gas engine would be using some of its power to charge the battery so you would have parasitic loss running as a generator. You also have to figure the electric use in your gas milage. You were still using energy just in a different format. Also remember the 4xe has drivetrain loss with its electric motor unlike electric vehicles with axle or wheel mounted motors. I'm not saying the 4xe is good, bad, or otherwise. Just making some clarifications. I also have to imagine these mpg figures and ranges will be drastically different between 2 different drivers. There are people on here claiming between 15 and 24 mpg withe the 3.6. That's a pretty drastic difference.
I've pulled over 1200 pounds for over 100 miles and not lost torque. The lithium battery charges very efficiently at less than 15%, so the etorque motor can keep it charged for the 470 torque even when in use. There isn't constant use of electric as the 2.0 motor can tow in its standard form. It only needs the electric torque when, well, needed. My 5 mpg better is with my battery showing at less than 1 percent which means it is in the efficient charging range of less than 15% battery as there is a reserve. As to the mpg and again, that is when I'm in full hybrid at less than 1% battery. I went 730 miles before filling up the gas tank. It costs me $1.50 to fill up with electric and I'm getting 24 miles on electric with 37's. Your math isn't working out. The 4Xe isn't for everyone but it may just be a good motor choice for some. Each motor falls under that category.
Sponsored