OP
OP
Sboden

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I am wondering if you would get much better performance and economy with changing gear ratios. As the 4xe pure-electric side of the system is only 130hp it maybe struggling with the 37's.
Regearing will always help with large tires but it isn't a cheap thing to do. The electric motor torque works very well around town. It does as well as the 3.6 around town. It was definitely helping the motor as my rpm was low leading to better mpg. The performance was excellent (handling 37's) and not even in league with anything but the diesel and 392. I have zero complaints but some obviously expect better mpg, I guess, even going 80 mph.
Sponsored

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Regearing will always help with large tires but it isn't a cheap thing to do. The electric motor torque works very well around town. It does as well as the 3.6 around town. It was definitely helping the motor as my rpm was low leading to better mpg. The performance was excellent (handling 37's) and not even in league with anything but the diesel and 392. I have zero complaints but some obviously expect better mpg, I guess, even going 80 mph.

I was thinking the same, re-gear would help especially with 37's

I have 35's and re-geared to 4.88 on my gladiator.....after break-in (I drive 75-80 on highway and had a few off road miles averaged in) I get 17+ average with 3.6.......with stock 3.73 and same setup I was around 16 average (no off-roading but over winter)

I do think 17.7 is good especially at 80mph on stock 4.10s

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Not bad, but honestly I'd hope the 4XE would get better MPGs with this setup. I can get 15 combined and 17-18 highway with my JLUR 3.6, 8 speed on 37s, 3" lift, lots of armor, etc.

OP
OP
Sboden

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not bad, but honestly I'd hope the 4XE would get better MPGs with this setup. I can get 15 combined and 17-18 highway with my JLUR 3.6, 8 speed on 37s, 3" lift, lots of armor, etc.
You wouldn't hit 8 speed with 37's. My MPG is just fine going normal speeds but I didn't realize so many people were doing 80 mph in their rigs for that length of time. The wrangler does way worse over certain speeds as shown by my previous one getting 12 mpg doing the same route for almost 2 years. I thought 5 mpg better was pretty significant but I guess not everyone does. A lot depends on the speed and type of terrain as to what mpg a person will get. The area is generally hilly with no big elevation changes but little flat. It was around a 9 mph sustained cross wind. The top and doors were on. I'd be happy to do 75 and 70 mph to see the difference. I'd probably get ran over doing 70 mph though :CWL:

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a 4xe Sahara dead on the highway still new with temp tags. #feelsbad but I was unable to pull over and help. Still wondering what their issue was.

Sponsored

Stealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
You wouldn't hit 8 speed with 37's. My MPG is just fine going normal speeds but I didn't realize so many people were doing 80 mph in their rigs for that length of time. The wrangler does way worse over certain speeds as shown by my previous one getting 12 mpg doing the same route for almost 2 years. I thought 5 mpg better was pretty significant but I guess not everyone does. A lot depends on the speed and type of terrain as to what mpg a person will get. The area is generally hilly with no big elevation changes but little flat. It was around a 9 mph sustained cross wind. The top and doors were on. I'd be happy to do 75 and 70 mph to see the difference. I'd probably get ran over doing 70 mph though :CWL:
Wow, Nice! I'm interested in the 75mph result!! Did you calibrate the speedometer after 37s are installed?

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
MPG seems like partial discussion of a very generalize comparison when talking hybrid vehicles. Realistically, you need to talk cost per mile since you're spending around $15-$20 every charge. So, if one were to only charge once per tank of gas, the gas would effectively be current price plus $1. I can't imagine if you charged multiple times per tank and remained around 25MPG..... MPG performance is fair for the 4XE, but you're spending 30-50% more per gallon on "gas" than your neighbor and paying a premium up front.

I do understand the "for the environment" discussion on the surface, but the rabbit holes are deep.

Wandering_Cascadian

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe; 1976 GMC High Sierra 1500
MPG seems like partial discussion of a very generalize comparison when talking hybrid vehicles. Realistically, you need to talk cost per mile since you're spending around $15-$20 every charge. So, if one were to only charge once per tank of gas, the gas would effectively be current price plus $1. I can't imagine if you charged multiple times per tank and remained around 25MPG..... MPG performance is fair for the 4XE, but you're spending 30-50% more per gallon on "gas" than your neighbor and paying a premium up front.

I do understand the "for the environment" discussion on the surface, but the rabbit holes are deep.
Where are you getting $15-$20 per charge???? Total cost to charge the battery is like $1.50 to $3, depending on your electricity rate. Given that most are seeing about the equivalent of 1 gallon of gas in range per charge, so long as your cost to charge is less than the cost of a gallon of gas, it's saving money.

This is very dependent on each individual's electric rate and current cost of gas. But given my rate is less than 8 cents per kwh and a gallon of gas is $3.30+ right now, I'm charging every chance I get and loving the savings.

OP
OP
Sboden

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

To add to the last post, what is the premium up front? If you build a non 4Xe Rubicon with the same options of a 4Xe Rubicon, the 4Xe Rubicon costs less because of the $7,500 federal rebate. The regular Rubicon is actually the premium up front right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sboden

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, Nice! I'm interested in the 75mph result!! Did you calibrate the speedometer after 37s are installed?
I make the trip most weekends, so I plan on a top off version and then a doors/top off version. The very large majority of the miles is at 80 mph as I go 5 mph over the speed limit.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
I am seeing cost per charge at about 65% of the cost of one gallon of gas, around 2 bucks. Based on 26-28 mile range, this works out to 7 1/2 cents per mile (or zero cents per mile since I'm getting electricity from solar panels). Gasoline use is running 25 to 28 mpg, about 11 to 12 cents per mile. Figure typical electric use will be 2/3 or less the cost of gasoline. People reporting lousy gas mileage may even see a better return.

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Where are you getting $15-$20 per charge???? Total cost to charge the battery is like $1.50 to $3, depending on your electricity rate. Given that most are seeing about the equivalent of 1 gallon of gas in range per charge, so long as your cost to charge is less than the cost of a gallon of gas, it's saving money.

This is very dependent on each individual's electric rate and current cost of gas. But given my rate is less than 8 cents per kwh and a gallon of gas is $3.30+ right now, I'm charging every chance I get and loving the savings.
That estimate of $15-20 was from my buddy and google. "cost to charge a tesla" Crazy that yours is so cheap. How Much Does Tesla Charging Cost? (2021) - CostFreak IF you're 100% electric, I can see your point. But running hybrid, the actual cost is definitely not clear to an outsider.

You could add up all of your electric and gas costs over a month, then figure out what's really happening, but you must add your electricity to your gas price. Period. You're using both to go XXX miles. Your dash MPG assumes electricity is free, like @Skeethree. But that scenario also has deep rabbit holes unless the panels, batteries, installation, waste to the environment for the build and disposal, etc are not considered.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect

Wandering_Cascadian

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe; 1976 GMC High Sierra 1500
That estimate of $15-20 was from my buddy and google. "cost to charge a tesla" Crazy that yours is so cheap. How Much Does Tesla Charging Cost? (2021) - CostFreak IF you're 100% electric, I can see your point. But running hybrid, the actual cost is definitely not clear to an outsider.

You could add up all of your electric and gas costs over a month, then figure out what's really happening, but you must add your electricity to your gas price. Period. You're using both to go XXX miles. Your dash MPG assumes electricity is free, like @Skeethree. But that scenario also has deep rabbit holes unless the panels, batteries, installation, waste to the environment for the build and disposal, etc are not considered.
As @Skeethree said, you're definitely misinformed on the 4xe. 17.3ish kwh battery, of which 15 or so is actually used. Thus, cost to charge ranging from $1.50 - $3.00 as I said.

Believe it or not I recognize that electricity isn't free. And, that's why I made the comment that the 4xe value is dependent on gas and electricity prices.And I don't need to go for a month to know my cost. Between 90 and 95% of my driving is on electric power based on the vehicle tracking electric and gas miles in the trip computer. Thus, compared to a standard 2.0L turbo wrangler, I can math out that my total cost including electric and gas is about 40% of the equivalent of the gas-only version.
Sponsored