4xe mid-cycle Wishlist

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
After about 5 months with my 4xe, I've put together my wishlist for the product team at Jeep......

Things that probably should have been there in the first place:
1. Wireless CarPlay & a wireless charging pad (under armrest seems logical place)
2. Auto up/down on all windows w/ remote express open for all windows/skyslider from key fob
3. Automatic wipers
4. A 35/30/35 split seat in the back (instead of 60/40)
5. A real 120v outlet that supports ~2000 watts (not the weak 150 watt carryover from non-4xe's)
6. The same 21 gal fuel tank from the non-4xe's (given battery location, don't see why it won't fit)
7. Heat pump instead of resistive heat element for EV mode heat (to help EV range - really helped Teslas)
8. Heated rear seats
9. Lane Keep Assist with Advanced Tech

Reasonable requests for a refresh:
1. More powerful battery (would think this is inevitable)
2. Refreshed GME (gaining all improvements from related Tornado I-6, maybe with multiair 3 - could tune for similar peak power on reg fuel)
3. Support for 50amp home charging
4. Heated windshield (had one on my wife's XC90 - nothing like it in the winter)
5. Power driver seat (mainly for seat/mirror memory for multi drivers)
6. An eLSD to replace optional LSD on non-Rubicon models (hell, while we are at it, why not a front eLSD too - Jeep lost "best 4x4 system" bragging rights when they dropped the front eLSD from GC Quadra-Drive in 2011 - perfect way to get it back!)
7. Personalized settings tied to key fob

Greedy, but doable:
1. DC fast charge (don't care if on slow side - would allow us to use the many DC-only stations - Mitsu offers on PHEV)
2. Bi-directional charging w/ home backup (similar to F-150 lightening setup)
3. Quadra-lift air suspension from GC/Wagoneer (might as well through in some magnetic dampers) - 4" range, 1.5" down, 2.5" up
4. Massaging seats from GC/Wagoneer (no reason we can't be comfortable too)
5. Selec-Terrain (yes, I know purists hate this, but I like having options)
6. Active/steerable headlamps (would help on trails)

For the dreamer:
1. SolarSlider roof (add flexible solar panels to sky slider roof - just leave about 2 inches in between each panel, for the folds when retracted)
2. Solar panel input (for camping, to complement #5 in the first section)
3. Cooled seats that are still water proof (I know, not sure how - note I said cooled, not ventilated)
4. A 4-cylinder diesel option (using an electrically assisted turbo to maximize HP)
Sponsored

Last edited:

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I don't have one, but first on a list I might have would be a 300 mile range.

G. :LOL:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It's definitely been interesting seeing what my DT Ram has that the Jeep doesn't (especially at a similar price point). Basically all your list items that aren't PHEV related.

Note, you can add wireless carplay with a Carlikit 2.0 for about $100.

The Ram accomplishes the steerable headlights with additional lamps that come on when you are turning, really great feature, and probably wouldn't be that difficult to execute.

I initially thought I wouldn't like it, but dash mounted rotary transmission and push button T-case shifters free up a ton of room in the console. They could probably triple the storage that way, and would free up room for the wireless charging phone holder the Ram uses in the front of the console.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

While a bigger battery might be nice, a BEV doesn't make sense to us. Without the charging infrastructure in place (and with the still slow pace of level 2 charging) eliminating the ICE would make it a no go for us.

With a two hour level two charge time, it actually is about right for getting it charged while your out at dinner or an event. After depleting the battery, in hybrid mode we don't recover more than a few percent at a shot, so on longer trips you'd be hauling around extra (heavy) capacity for no reason.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Drop the gas engine and load up the engine bay with batteries and it can.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Might be tough to charge in New Orleans about now.

G.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
After owning my 4xe for 4 months, I would add these to your list:

1) True hybrid mode instead of prioritizing and depleting the battery first.
2) Leveled out trunk that is flush with the folded rear seats, or some kind of factory option platform that will give some storage space under the platform and will level out the trunk.
3) Charging port in a different location that doesn’t interfere with lighting brackets and roof racks that need to mount to the frame directly in front of the windshield.
4) Blue tow hooks standard on all 4xe models because let’s be real…it’s one of the signature items that reminds you it’s a 4xe. The blue tow hooks are one of the things that immediately caught my eye when I was first looking at the 4xe.

OP
OP
alpha1847

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
After owning my 4xe for 4 months, I would add these to your list:

1) True hybrid mode instead of prioritizing and depleting the battery first.
2) Leveled out trunk that is flush with the folded rear seats, or some kind of factory option platform that will give some storage space under the platform and will level out the trunk.
3) Charging port in a different location that doesn’t interfere with lighting brackets and roof racks that need to mount to the frame directly in front of the windshield.
4) Blue tow hooks standard on all 4xe models because let’s be real…it’s one of the signature items that reminds you it’s a 4xe. The blue tow hooks are one of the things that immediately caught my eye when I was first looking at the 4xe.
#1 is really there already, but not obvious. All modes are still a form of hybrid gas/electric. If you put it in e-save and don't enable the battery charge function, it will perform just like a regular hybrid. If the battery is fully charged, just be aware it will work in EV mode until it gets down to 95%, so there is enough battery capacity for brake regen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alpha1847

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe

300 miles of electric range? I'm sure a BEV variant will come, but expect PHEV to live on for a while.

OP
OP
alpha1847

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
It's definitely been interesting seeing what my DT Ram has that the Jeep doesn't (especially at a similar price point). Basically all your list items that aren't PHEV related.

Note, you can add wireless carplay with a Carlikit 2.0 for about $100.

The Ram accomplishes the steerable headlights with additional lamps that come on when you are turning, really great feature, and probably wouldn't be that difficult to execute.

I initially thought I wouldn't like it, but dash mounted rotary transmission and push button T-case shifters free up a ton of room in the console. They could probably triple the storage that way, and would free up room for the wireless charging phone holder the Ram uses in the front of the console.
considering one of those wireless carplay adapters.......but without wireless charging mat, will have to plug in on longer trips anyway. I guess I could look for an after-market charging pad that fits under armrest.

I wouldn't be totally against the option of a rotary shifter if they uses the freed up space well......but I'd miss the normal shifter.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
considering one of those wireless carplay adapters.......but without wireless charging mat, will have to plug in on longer trips anyway. I guess I could look for an after-market charging pad that fits under armrest.

I wouldn't be totally against the option of a rotary shifter if they uses the freed up space well......but I'd miss the normal shifter.
There is a replacement console leather cover with a charging mat in it that has been posted recently. It’s nice to not have to pull your phone out on short trips.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
#1 is really there already, but not obvious. All modes are still a form of hybrid gas/electric. If you put it in e-save and don't enable the battery charge function, it will perform just like a regular hybrid. If the battery is fully charged, just be aware it will work in EV mode until it gets down to 95%, so there is enough battery capacity for brake regen.
Yeah, I drive that way on the freeway now. I just wish I didn’t have to do it that way. It feels like it should’ve been a stock setting, but at least there’s a workaround for it.
Sponsored