4xe J1772 adaptor at campsite

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Just got my new 4xe sahara and I am super excited!! But I am going to travel for quite a bit in next month or two and will mostly stay at RV parks, so I am wondering what kind of adaptor that I need to maximize charging speed? Some of campsite do have 50 amp (240 volts).

Thank you!!
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You should make sure that the 50 amp is 240 volts. Most RV's use two 125 volt circuits.

From KOA website:

• A 50 amp plug has four prongs – two 120 volt hot wires, a neutral wire and a ground wire – that supply two separate 50 amp, 120 volt feeds.
I would hate for you to burn up your 240v charger

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
You should make sure that the 50 amp is 240 volts. Most RV's use two 125 volt circuits.

From KOA website:

• A 50 amp plug has four prongs – two 120 volt hot wires, a neutral wire and a ground wire – that supply two separate 50 amp, 120 volt feeds.
You are absolutely right!!! I have little or no knowledge about electricity... do you know if there is any adaptor or accessories can work with this?

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe

From KOA website:

I have no idea how KOA has those wired but what you described is a normal 240v circuit. If you run a volt meter between the two hot legs you would get 240 volts. Volt meter between either hot leg and the neutral you would get 120 volts.

Only way you would not get 240v would be if both hot legs were from the same 120 v source which does not seem likely.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
There are plenty of 14-50 to standard 120v household outlet adapters all over the web and Amazon for $20 to $40. Example here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NXHHCKG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A19Z8GGYLX34ED&psc=1

For $40, that would get you your level 1 charging (12+ hours to full charge) as long as you also bring along the charging cord that came with your 4xe. That’s what I plan to do whenever we happen to stay in an RV park.

That having been said, you specifically asked:
so I am wondering what kind of adaptor that I need to maximize charging speed?
Just curious, is speed really that important while camping?

When we camp (even just a one-night stand), there is time spent upon arrival setting up camp, maybe a fire, food. Then in the morning, there is time spent on food, maybe a shower, breaking down camp. Let’s say we need 1 hour setting up, 7 hours of sleep, 1 hour breaking down camp, you’d be at 9 hours of the 12+/- needed for a full charge. That gets you 75% of the way there. And if you get a bit more sleep, or linger a bit more evening or morning, you’d be in the 10 - 12 hour range.

If this were a BEV, then speed would be critical because 8 to 12 hours of 120v level 1 charging wouldn’t get you very far. But with the PHEV and ICE engine, I think I’ll be comfortable getting 75% to 95% of a full charge in an RV park with a cheap, small, lightweight 14-50 to 120v adapter and the OEM level 1 charging cord.

Maybe you’re trying to cover some serious miles, and only crashing at the RV park for a few hours to get some shut-eye, and then back on the road?

Last edited:

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my new 4xe sahara and I am super excited!! But I am going to travel for quite a bit in next month or two and will mostly stay at RV parks, so I am wondering what kind of adaptor that I need to maximize charging speed? Some of campsite do have 50 amp (240 volts).

Thank you!!
Personally, I’d just use the level 1 that came with the Jeep, like others said, will get you close enough to full charge and requires no additional purchase.

Since you asked, you can’t simply “adapt“ your level 1 to make it take advantage of higher voltage/amps and work like a level 2, you’d need a whole new charger made for that voltage/amps like this here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLFV715/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_XBVGNNDA55S11ZJVCAAR

Never used it, and not a recommendation....double check the output numbers and required NEMA outlet before you buy!

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I have no idea how KOA has those wired but what you described is a normal 240v circuit. If you run a volt meter between the two hot legs you would get 240 volts. Volt meter between either hot leg and the neutral you would get 120 volts.

Only way you would not get 240v would be if both hot legs were from the same 120 v source which does not seem likely.
Given that the OP said they no little about electricity, we may not want to recommend they start sticking meter probes in a live 240v line though.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep

From KOA website:

As I recall, in the US, that's what (220V)240V is: two 120V high legs out of phase to each other. Most of the rest of the world uses a single 220V high leg.

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Thanks for all of you guys and I was originally thought that level 2 charging at 50 amp rv park just need a adaptor and obvious thats really wrong so I would just stick with level 1 charging until I gain more knowledge in electricity. : )

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
There are plenty of 14-50 to standard 120v household outlet adapters all over the web and Amazon for $20 to $40. Example here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NXHHCKG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A19Z8GGYLX34ED&psc=1

For $40, that would get you your level 1 charging (12+ hours to full charge) as long as you also bring along the charging cord that came with your 4xe. That’s what I plan to do whenever we happen to stay in an RV park.

That having been said, you specifically asked:

Just curious, is speed really that important while camping?

When we camp (even just a one-night stand), there is time spent upon arrival setting up camp, maybe a fire, food. Then in the morning, there is time spent on food, maybe a shower, breaking down camp. Let’s say we need 1 hour setting up, 7 hours of sleep, 1 hour breaking down camp, you’d be at 9 hours of the 12+/- needed for a full charge. That gets you 75% of the way there. And if you get a bit more sleep, or linger a bit more evening or morning, you’d be in the 10 - 12 hour range.

If this were a BEV, then speed would be critical because 8 to 12 hours of 120v level 1 charging wouldn’t get you very far. But with the PHEV and ICE engine, I think I’ll be comfortable getting 75% to 95% of a full charge in an RV park with a cheap, small, lightweight 14-50 to 120v adapter and the OEM level 1 charging cord.

Maybe you’re trying to cover some serious miles, and only crashing at the RV park for a few hours to get some shut-eye, and then back on the road?
Not really, I was just thinking level 2 is "cool" and if thats only a adaptor away I would love to get that : ) but I just realized how naive am I at beginning

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Not really, I was just thinking level 2 is "cool" and if thats only a adaptor away I would love to get that : ) but I just realized how naive am I at beginning
No worries. A lot of us here are naive at the beginning.

Exhibit A: My wife and I were hitting campsites with the Jeep a couple years ago, and had to use our first RV park one night. That’s the night I learned what a NEMA 14-50 plug was - and that none of the sites had standard 120v outlets. :headbang:

You’ll find this forum to be a fantastic source of information. In fact, in only three years I’ve been able to rapidly advance from Total Jeep Noob to Slightly Less Confused Jeep Noob :like:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Just found out tonight that the Level 1 charger will NOT work unless it's plugged into a GFCI outlet. Typically not a problem unless you decide to plug in at the old barn built in the 1950s on the farm.

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Thanks for all of you guys and I was originally thought that level 2 charging at 50 amp rv park just need a adaptor and obvious thats really wrong so I would just stick with level 1 charging until I gain more knowledge in electricity. : )
Hi there! What did you end up doing to charge your Jeep?

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021