4xe hardtop removal bolt stripped

1st4xe

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Not sure if this is a common occurrence, but went to remove the hard top and one of the bolts is stripped.
Will a dealer need to fix that?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Will a dealer need to fix that?
Not necessarily. If you want to try yourself, you can purchase a bolt/screw extraction tool. They are fairly cheap and should do the trick. You can also try using a pair of channel locks or vise grips on the head of the bolt and see if you can get it to turn that way.

Of course you'll need a new bolt and if you want it covered under warranty, then a trip to the dealer it is.

OP
OP

1st4xe

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I was thinking of using channel locks but then was not sure if dealer would replace bolt under warranty ....

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Stripped as in Threads, or the torx head?? I think I'd let the dealer deal with it. Extraction and replacement.

G.

ea187

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Stripped or rounded off/out? Stripped is referring to the threads being damaged. If it’s just rounded then use an extractor and get a new bolt.

Sponsored

OP
OP

1st4xe

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Sorry, let me clarify - the head is rounded out so that the torx tool will not work. This is just for 1 of the 6 bolts. I was able to remove the one bolt with channel locks (as suggested above). I am going to just see if the dealer can provide me with a replacement.

JLSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I agree those are
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe hardtop removal bolt stripped finish 1 - Copy
the best way to go, they also make for great tie down hooks
Which cargo area cover do you have? Looks sharp and functional. Do you like it? Any issues?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Which cargo area cover do you have? Looks sharp and functional. Do you like it? Any issues?
It is the Slipstream by Diabolical. Had it for nearly 3 years now, could not be happier

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe hardtop removal bolt stripped Safari Slipstream

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe hardtop removal bolt stripped slip 8

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe hardtop removal bolt stripped Slip 5

Soft top windows store inside

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe hardtop removal bolt stripped slip 11

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
It is not water tight, will just slow it down.
Thanks, yeah, I couldn't really tell if there was enough rubber seals/gaskets around the outside edge. Looks like the soft top in the first pic has a nice little overhang too, you know, to protect my sandwiches :D

Killer ride BTW, I may wind up (well, will, just waiting on the Feds ...) with a 4xe / Tesla combo too.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, yeah, I couldn't really tell if there was enough rubber seals/gaskets around the outside edge. Looks like the soft top in the first pic has a nice little overhang too, you know, to protect my sandwiches :D

Killer ride BTW, I may wind up (well, will, just waiting on the Feds ...) with a 4xe / Tesla combo too.

The soft top will stop most of the water, and there is rubber gasket on two sides however the tailgate area and lid, and tie down bar has NO protection to prevent water from leaking in. It will keep 90% of the water out but there is still 10% that will get in and there is No outward drain for water setting on the top.