4xe Full Skid Plating Options?

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
Anyone aware of a full skid plate system that can be used for the 4xe?

I've sent inquiries to:
  • Metalcloak - As of June 21 they still hadn't had one in the shop to measure for a kit. I offered mine but no response.
  • Rock Hard - Same, as of July 21 still hadn't had one in to eval
  • Artec - June 24 confirmed their 2.0 skid package would not work for the 4xe, too different. Have to design a new product, likely done around end of 2021
  • Quadratec - They confirmed their aluminum package does not fit the 4xe, no ETA.
  • Next Venture Motorsports - no response, just asked today
I've already:
  • Plated the diffs and replaced the diff covers w Metalcloak stuff
  • Plated the FAD, relocated the steering shock, also Metalcloak
  • Plated the muffler w Aluminum Quadratec skid
  • Plated the front and rear control arm mounts at the axle w Rock Hard 4x4 skids
  • Genright front bumper protects the Sway bar disconnect motor stuff
  • Plated the trailer electric hookups w Metalcloak guard
I'm also on 37's w Mopar lift. But there is way too much exposed stuff underneath for me to take this thing on a rock crawling trip just yet. If anyone is aware of a solution I'd love to hear it. For example the Rock Hard system looks like it would cover everything important, just wondering if someone has made it or similar work on the 4xe somehow.

I'm sure I will get comments from those that think plating isn't needed, I have it on my JK and I very much choose to have it on this vehicle prior to hitting the rocks in the Sierras, my choice. I'm keeping the JK for rock crawling until I have this sorted and it's the last bit of my build so I'd love to find an answer that isn't "wait until 2022."
Sponsored

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I know that this is almost a month old, but any updates?

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know that this is almost a month old, but any updates?
The only update to the above is that Next Venture got back to me and said "We have actually not had a 4xe come through the shop yet. Our designer said the transmission changes just a little bit, but minimally. We have not been able to confirm a fit. Any chance you are local or near CO? We'd love to work with someone to do a final test fit. If it doesn't fit exactly, yes, this is something we plan to modify to have an option for that model moving forward. Likely a fall or winter release if it requires a new design. Best, Casey"

So no real updates sadly. I ran the Rubicon last week in my JK. One of our group had a 4xe on the stock 33's with the Mopar 2" lift. Stock rocker protection, steering shock flip and skids on the diffs. Lots of rock stacking and careful lines, it took a bit of a beating underneath but nothing broken. The front crossmember support was pounded flat on one side, those are really a poor design the way they stick down. My 4xe is on 37's but I'm glad I took the JK.

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update!

From Jason at Rock Hard, who make a really nice looking Aluminum skid plate for the ETorque:

"Just a heads up, we are designing our 4xe skid plates now, should go into production in approximately 2 weeks."

I suspect I'll be ordering this as soon as it's available.

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not much action on this thread so I'll stop commenting, but Rock Hard is accepting pre-orders for their 4xe specific skids. You have to call them to order but they are available in Aluminum and Steel similar to other models. Pricing is similar.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Not much action on this thread so I'll stop commenting, but Rock Hard is accepting pre-orders for their 4xe specific skids. You have to call them to order but they are available in Aluminum and Steel similar to other models. Pricing is similar.
You didn't happen to run across a oil pan/trans skid the works in your search, did you?

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didn't happen to run across a oil pan/trans skid the works in your search, did you?
Not for the 4xe, though these kits include that.

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final update on this unless there are questions. I received the Rock Hard Aluminum skid plating back in December and put it on. Everything fit well, design seems great. I really like this design over the Artec that I have on my JK because everything bolts up with real bolts rather than hex or similar. The bolts are fairly protected from rock slide by boat sided metal washers.

I basically cannot remove the Artec skid plates from my JK so I didn't want to repeat that.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 1643047603019

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 1643047658260

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 1643047691948

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 1643047808440

abovesociety

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Final update on this unless there are questions. I received the Rock Hard Aluminum skid plating back in December and put it on. Everything fit well, design seems great. I really like this design over the Artec that I have on my JK because everything bolts up with real bolts rather than hex or similar. The bolts are fairly protected from rock slide by boat sided metal washers.

I basically cannot remove the Artec skid plates from my JK so I didn't want to repeat that.

Thank you for the detailed pictures and info

silverheep

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR4xe
@jahysea thanks for the photos! Is there any chance you can take a photo of the frame rail skid mounts down either the driver or passenger side? Specifically the second crosbar mount. I have the White Knuckle sliders, and due to the slightly changed 2nd crossbar mount, I can’t get a bolt in the slider mount. Would love to see if I could make the RH skids work!

Sponsored

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
very interesting thread. following

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jahysea thanks for the photos! Is there any chance you can take a photo of the frame rail skid mounts down either the driver or passenger side? Specifically the second crosbar mount. I have the White Knuckle sliders, and due to the slightly changed 2nd crossbar mount, I can’t get a bolt in the slider mount. Would love to see if I could make the RH skids work!
I am running LOD frame mount sliders. I played w removing slider to mount skid plating but ended up mounting plating under slider. The RH skid package replaces both factory crossbars with something significantly more robust and heavier. Skids are very light aluminum but the cross bars are heavy solid steel.

Check the pics I attached and tell me if they help, happy to take more if you need.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 2B9D6903-A69D-4DF4-AED5-0EFA4C450E2C
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? CFB84248-6B57-4CA7-8091-5140F69F2C56
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 9F384AB6-0991-4656-858A-EBECBDCD1A46

silverheep

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR4xe
@jahysea thank you! This should be super helpful. I’ll crawl under the Jeep in the next couple days when this snow melts and compare…

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Full Skid Plating Options? 9F384AB6-0991-4656-858A-EBECBDCD1A46

Looks fantastic! How is your electric range? Have you noticed a dip since adding the weight? what was your investment cost? Thanks

OP
OP
jahysea

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks fantastic! How is your electric range? Have you noticed a dip since adding the weight? what was your investment cost? Thanks
Thank you. I've been having the CHOC issues where my engine runs when it doesn't need to so I can't really tell you about Electric range. And I lost some range to 37" tires already, I'll be surprised if I notice much difference. The Skids didn't add too much weight over what I removed from the vehicle with the install but the cross members are pretty heavy.

Cost was in the 2.3k range as I already had control arm skids and a sway bar disconnect skid. I installed it myself with no lift or jack or help. Stuff is light enough and in enough pieces that I was capable of holding in place and bolting it on all myself. Used a 5 gallon paint bucket to help "hold" a few things in place but not overly difficult.
Sponsored