CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Hi Guys,

So this is my 2nd full gas tank in last 3 weeks of my ownership.

Whenever i fill the gas tank to full, the pump clicks when the tank is about 7-10% empty, (See attached screenshot)

Any idea how to get it to full? I know i can pump more gas manually after the click, but shouldn't it fill to full automatically?

IMG_0920.JPG
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Gas look ok. Battery is low.

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
Jeeps have had a burping problem for years. Don't put the nozzle all the way in-back it up an inch or two.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I have only filled my 4XE up once since the initial long drive home. It did the same thing.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@CherryWrangler The solution is to press the fuel release button again, after the gas pump shuts off. I did a 6K mile trip before I learned this trick. :headbang:

All 4xe models work this way. Itā€™s related to the fact that 4xe models have pressurized gas tanks in order to ā€™lock in the freshnessā€™ for those folks who charge regularly, take short trips, and use very little fuel. Pressing the button depressurizes the system for safety before you fuel up. Pressure builds up during the fueling process, so Iā€™ve found I can get another gallon or so in there if I press that fuel release button a second time.

Hereā€™s the relevant page from the Hybrid supplement manual that tells you to press the button a second time (see first bullet point on left side of page):

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe full gas tank issue 42E080DE-FDE1-459C-B27C-1793EB2EA4DA

Sponsored

OP
OP
CherryWrangler

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
@CherryWrangler The solution is to press the fuel release button again, after the gas pump shuts off. I did a 6K mile trip before I learned this trick. :headbang:

All 4xe models work this way. Itā€™s related to the fact that 4xe models have pressurized gas tanks in order to ā€™lock in the freshnessā€™ for those folks who charge regularly, take short trips, and use very little fuel. Pressing the button depressurizes the system for safety before you fuel up. Pressure builds up during the fueling process, so Iā€™ve found I can get another gallon or so in there if I press that fuel release button a second time.

Hereā€™s the relevant page from the Hybrid supplement manual that tells you to press the button a second time (see first bullet point on left side of page):

Wow, didn't know they would make it this complicated. Will try this trick on my next fill-up. thanks!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Wow, who'd have thought I'd need to RTFM to fill the gas tank. Thanks for the post!

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, who'd have thought I'd need to RTFM to fill the gas tank. Thanks for the post!
lol RTFM. Love that. I wish I'd of known that acronym while in the motorpool.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Yeah, wish I read the manual before that cross-country trip. At one point, we ran out of fuel less than 2 miles from a gas station ā€” precisely because I didnā€™t know how to REALLY fill the tank! Once someone showed up with a 2-gallon Jerry can, I put in exactly 2 gallons, then drove 2 miles to the gas pump and put in exactly 14 gallons. Again, without knowing the ā€˜2-presses-of-the-button trickā€™ I was only able to put 16 gallons total into this 17.2 gallon tank!

I understand why the tank is pressurized, and why the release button is there, and the physics of why pressure forms during a fill-up. But it still irks me that this approach is needed in order to get that extra gallon - especially since the 4xe has one of the smallest tanks of any Wrangler. We canā€™t afford to give up any more capacity!

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Mine is much worse.
2400 miles in and have yet to be able to fill the gas tank (at all) any faster than maybe a gallon a minute. Literally the slowest you can hold the pump handle is all it will take.

To that note, the manual door release/pressure purge system has also never worked.

I finally have time to get it to the service dept next week, curious what theyll find. No matter how long I hold down the gas button, it never opens or purges. Luckily it lives mostly on electric

Sponsored

ras815

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Iā€™m confused - why
Yeah, wish I read the manual before that cross-country trip. At one point, we ran out of fuel less than 2 miles from a gas station ā€” precisely because I didnā€™t know how to REALLY fill the tank! Once someone showed up with a 2-gallon Jerry can, I put in exactly 2 gallons, then drove 2 miles to the gas pump and put in exactly 14 gallons. Again, without knowing the ā€˜2-presses-of-the-button trickā€™ I was only able to put 16 gallons total into this 17.2 gallon tank!

I understand why the tank is pressurized, and why the release button is there, and the physics of why pressure forms during a fill-up. But it still irks me that this approach is needed in order to get that extra gallon - especially since the 4xe has one of the smallest tanks of any Wrangler. We canā€™t afford to give up any more capacity!
Iā€™m confused - was your mileage remaining estimate off, or did you try to calculate it manually? I donā€™t see how the extra gallon caused you to run out of gas unless the gauge is incorrect.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Iā€™m confused - was your mileage remaining estimate off, or did you try to calculate it manually? I donā€™t see how the extra gallon caused you to run out of gas unless the gauge is incorrect.
Good question.

Short answer:

It was a combination of the lack of that extra gallon of fuel AND an inaccurate gas gauge that resulted in our running out of fuel.

Long answer:

1. If I had used the ā€œpress the fuel door button twiceā€ trick at my prior fill-up, I would have had another gallon in the tank, which would have easily taken us the extra two miles to the next gas station, in spite of the gas gauge inaccuracy described belowā€¦

2. The fuel gauge actually was incorrect. We were keeping a very close eye on it, as we had calculated we would be down to about 25 miles of range by the time we got to the next gas station. We watched it go to 43 miles of range, then within a minute, it flashed that we were low on fuel. At that point, we surmised we had a range of somewhere around 42 miles, and we were about 17 miles from the next gas station. 42 minus 17 = 25 miles of estimated range remaining (right in line with our earlier estimate of being down to 25 when we arrived). The problem was the Jeep went into turtle mode about 14 miles after the low fuel warning at the 42 mile mark. Then less than 1 mile later, it completely shut down - about 2 miles short of the gas station. So, the gas gauge went from a range of 43 to actually being out of gas 16-ish miles later!

From that point forward in the trip, we never let the gas range dip below 60 - just to be safe.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Even pushing the gas door button twice after the pump clicked off the first time, I was able to get another hair over 2 gallons more in the tank. It reminds me of trying to fill my TJ all the way up....that would usually click off at about 3/4 full.

I guess I'm not the only one!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
yea, it does the same for me, I just do a manual sort of top up, it's a nuisance, the 2018 JL was just as bad.
Sponsored