Sponsored

4Xe FAD present?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Has it been confirmed yet if the FAD is present on the 4XE? It has the full time 4x4 like the 392, and I believe that does not have FAD so I wanted to see if anyone that has received theirs can confirm if the FAD is there or not.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yes the 4xe Rubicon has the front/rear lockers and front disconnect just like the other Rubicons.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the 4xe Rubicon has the front/rear lockers and front disconnect just like the other Rubicons.
Not the sway bar disconnect, the front axle disconnect. it is a small electric motor on the passenger side front axle that disengages the front axle when in 2wd to create less drag on the driveline for better fuel economy (and is supposed to help with vibrations etc).

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
This is all assumption, but I believe the 4xe has a FAD, even with a full-time 4wd system. The transfer system in the 392 is completely new, different. It does NOT have 2H available to choose from. While the 4xe does have a 2H option. From this picture, you can see that Jeep did not change/upgrade the front axle in the 4xe.

2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe.jpg

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
This is all assumption, but I believe the 4xe has a FAD, even with a full-time 4wd system. The transfer system in the 392 is completely new, different. It does NOT have 2H available to choose from. While the 4xe does have a 2H option. From this picture, you can see that Jeep did not change/upgrade the front axle in the 4xe.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe FAD present? 2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe
I did not realize they had 2 different full time 4x4 options. So the 4XE is just using the JT max tow / Rubicon axles with 4:10 gears, Lockers and larger brakes. then the rear has the JL brackets instead of the JT. Maybe the FAD will be less of an issue using the JT thicker tubes. Also happy to hear there is still a 2wd option. I assumed this was going to be the same system as the 392 and similar to a grand cherokee.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
...From this picture, you can see that Jeep did not change/upgrade the front axle in the 4xe...
The front was changed to the JT axle as was the rear. I suppose they were needed to handle the 4xe's extra weight.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also happy to hear there is still a 2wd option.
What I am wondering is why Jeep removed the 2wd from the 392. Does the 6.4L Hemi create so much power that they had to divert some of the power to the front wheels at all times? Very interesting. I guess fuel economy (saving the most tiniest amount of fuel with a FAD) wasn't even a thought for the 392.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
What I am wondering is why Jeep removed the 2wd from the 392. Does the 6.4L Hemi create so much power that they had to divert some of the power to the front wheels at all times? Very interesting. I guess fuel economy (saving the most tiniest amount of fuel with a FAD) wasn't even a thought for the 392.
The type of tires put on a wrangler will not handle the pull power of a full 6.4 launch like sport car summer only tires. To try and get traction for the lead foots :), I'm sure they decided all time 4 wheel drive similar to what some sport cars do. I had a 2016 Camaro 2SS with a 6.2 and I know what that would do with summer only tires. The traction controls on a wrangler are most likely programmed differently than you would put in a true sports car, so it would be scary. I've been interested in how the 4Xe will perform (lots of torque) but sadly we haven't gotten any real updates on that yet from owners.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I've been interested in how the 4Xe will perform (lots of torque) but sadly we haven't gotten any real updates on that yet from owners.
Same here. I know people are getting them but we are not really seeing much out yet as to how they perform. However the 392 owners seem to be posting right away about those things.

I know the 4XE will not come close to the 392 as far as 0-60 times etc, it I would for sure like to know how it compares to the eco-diesel and even the 2.0 and 3.6. I have already owned a 3.6 JLUR (actually 3) and for my 4th i'm deciding between the Eco-Diesel and 4XE. There are pros and cons to both that are pretty easy to find, now I just want to see how they compare performance wise.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
No there should not be a FAD. The 4wd is Auto, 4Hi and 4Lo. In Auto mode tranfercase distributes torque to front and rear axles depending on situation. Front wheels can spin faster than read and vice versa. In 4Hi and 4lo transfer case locks the front and rear axles together. Front axle is always getting some torque so no fad. Can't completely disconnect front.

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No there should not be a FAD. The 4wd is Auto, 4Hi and 4Lo. In Auto mode tranfercase distributes torque to front and rear axles depending on situation. Front wheels can spin faster than read and vice versa. In 4Hi and 4lo transfer case locks the front and rear axles together. Front axle is always getting some torque so no fad. Can't completely disconnect front.
At 6:30 on this video, there is a clear image of the transfer select knob for the 4xe.

2H, 4H Auto, 4H PartTime, N, 4LO.

If there is 2H, then there will most likely be a FAD.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
At 6:30 on this video, there is a clear image of the transfer select knob for the 4xe.

2H, 4H Auto, 4H PartTime, N, 4LO.

If there is 2H, then there will most likely be a FAD.

Yeah, you're right. If it has 2Hi then it most definitely would have a fad. I thought it was the same tcase the 392 has, which has no 2Hi.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you're right. If it has 2Hi then it most definitely would have a fad. I thought it was the same tcase the 392 has, which has no 2Hi.
That's what I thought too. I was discounting images I have seen so far as I assumed it was like having the off-road plus button. lots of jeep images show it, it the actual 4xe does not have it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FYI: the 392 has an auto FAD, which can apparently be turned off with a programming.

Photo: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-to-receive-the-392.63510/page-6#post-1451081

Description: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-to-receive-the-392.63510/page-7#post-1451311

2WD mode: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...to-receive-the-392.63510/page-10#post-1462879
Sponsored