4xe Dealer MSRP Discount vs. Actual Sticker wayyy off

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'll start off by saying I've purchased 8 new cars so far in my lifetime and this is the first time I've had this kind of experience.

I found a local 4xe that was a match for a vehicle I wanted. MSRP was 55,160. There was an online discount of $3881 being offered. I contacted the online sales manager, verified price, and did an online trade in estimation.

When I got there, there was an additional $4K in dealer options, not a single one I wanted (Nitrofill for $200, some fake ceramic coat, GPS Security System, etc. etc..). Considering it had protectant, one of the fenders was scuffed up beyond being able to be buffed out and the hood already had a some minor damage. Nobody would even acknowledge or seemed to be able to find any of my prior correspondence.

Then they didn't honor the original dealer discount. They said it was for military. I hope they give a military discount, but it wasn't stated anywhere on the web site. They are calling it "clearance price". Usually, dealers "forget it" at the signing and then you have to have them change the paperwork.

Then they shorted my trade in by another $4,000 under the range given online. This is a car that is garage kept, low milage, well maintained, fully loaded, been ceramic coated, etc.

I was looking at $12,000 more than I had been lured in for. Despite that I could afford it I just couldn't do it. When I purchased my last car, it was exactly the online listing. They still "forgot" the negotiated discount at closing but fixed it when I caught them.

At the end, the manager came over, was friendly and gave the explanation that they had 4 other appointments to see the same 4xe and the factory was limiting them to two at a time. I appreciated that honesty at least.

Sorry for the rant, not going to give up. But $4K in useless, unadvertised dealer extras?
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I'll start off by saying I've purchased 8 new cars so far in my lifetime and this is the first time I've had this kind of experience.

I found a local 4xe that was a match for a vehicle I wanted. MSRP was 55,160. There was an online discount of $3881 being offered. I contacted the online sales manager, verified price, and did an online trade in estimation.

When I got there, there was an additional $4K in dealer options, not a single one I wanted (Nitrofill for $200, some fake ceramic coat, GPS Security System, etc. etc..). Considering it had protectant, one of the fenders was scuffed up beyond being able to be buffed out and the hood already had a some minor damage. Nobody would even acknowledge or seemed to be able to find any of my prior correspondence.

Then they didn't honor the original dealer discount. They said it was for military. I hope they give a military discount, but it wasn't stated anywhere on the web site. They are calling it "clearance price". Usually, dealers "forget it" at the signing and then you have to have them change the paperwork.

Then they shorted my trade in by another $4,000 under the range given online. This is a car that is garage kept, low milage, well maintained, fully loaded, been ceramic coated, etc.

I was looking at $12,000 more than I had been lured in for. Despite that I could afford it I just couldn't do it. When I purchased my last car, it was exactly the online listing. They still "forgot" the negotiated discount at closing but fixed it when I caught them.

At the end, the manager came over, was friendly and gave the explanation that they had 4 other appointments to see the same 4xe and the factory was limiting them to two at a time. I appreciated that honesty at least.

Sorry for the rant, not going to give up. But $4K in useless, unadvertised dealer extras?
That sucks and I understand wanting to vent. I am actually surprised they would pull something like that this day and age. To easy to get eaten alive by internet reviews.
I guess it is good the manager finally came over and was "honest" but would of been a lot better if they would not of wasted your time in the first place.

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
That sucks and I understand wanting to vent. I am actually surprised they would pull something like that this day and age. To easy to get eaten alive by internet reviews.
I guess it is good the manager finally came over and was "honest" but would of been a lot better if they would not of wasted your time in the first place.
Agree. That’s terrible. I would give them a thorough Yelp write up.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks, I may have even gone for the figures had they been more upfront.

I get it, they have a high demand item and can make more profits than typical.

Will keep at it. I may try a custom order process but was trying to make a planned trip to the northern georgia mountains this June.

Are all these additional dealer add ons typical? When I bought my current Mustang GT, it was all upfront before I stepped foot on the lot.

Prior to that was a Mercedes C class and that was also very upfront. Before that and Audi, etc.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks, I may have even gone for the figures had they been more upfront.

I get it, they have a high demand item and can make more profits than typical.

Will keep at it. I may try a custom order process but was trying to make a planned trip to the northern georgia mountains this June.

Are all these additional dealer add ons typical? When I bought my current Mustang GT, it was all upfront before I stepped foot on the lot.

Prior to that was a Mercedes C class and that was also very upfront. Before that and Audi, etc.
Add ons being typical really depends on the dealers. Some dealers do it on most their cars, some rarely do it.

The fact even called them and discussed the vehicle and verified everything and then when you visited and was surprised by the extra charges is a total no-go and a total waste of your time. Typical dealerships...

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I experienced this with the last vehicle I purchased. In the end I didn't have a positive experience because I had to negotiate for nearly an hour in person just to get it back down to the original online advertised price.

Lesson learned. Next time I have that surprise come up, I plan to stand up and leave. No thank you, no goodbye. If they try to stop me I'll remind them they have my number and they can call me when they have the vehicle we discussed, at the price we discussed.

I actually did the same at a doctor's office recently. It was extremely effective.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Just wait. They were selling JLs at MRSP the few first months. It really doesnt take that long for all the hype to die off.

Always ask about dealer options on the phone. And ask for the final price.

rkoco321

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK
Avoid dealers like this like the plague.

It's 2021. Customer's have enormous resources available to shop around and If they choose not to be competitive that's fine, but don't waste the customer's time.

I can respect a dealer who is forthright and just plain states they cannot discount x amount because it's not sustainable for them, only they know what their operating costs are, but manipulating pricing with inflated add ons and advertising rebates they know aren't available to most customers just to get them through the door is extremely deceptive.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
My experience was the other way. This is the third Jeep I have bought from my dealer. They gave me a trade-in value for my Ram sight unseen ($2k more than another local dealer offered). Because of a glitch in the Jeelp ordering system, I didn't get the body color hardtop I was expecting, so they got a good discount for me from Jeep. I declined financing through them up front, planning on using my HELOC for the balance owed. When I went to pick up the Jeep, I said we could negotiate the trade-in if needed because it had a few scratches/scuffs/dings they had not been aware of and I got a better price than originally planned. They checked it over and kept the original offer. The used car market being up probably helped out, but still a great experience.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Just wait. They were selling JLs at MRSP the few first months. It really doesnt take that long for all the hype to die off.

Always ask about dealer options on the phone. And ask for the final price.
Thanks, I'll likely have to rent rent a Jeep for my upcoming trip since it's in around 7 weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My experience was the other way. This is the third Jeep I have bought from my dealer. They gave me a trade-in value for my Ram sight unseen ($2k more than another local dealer offered). Because of a glitch in the Jeelp ordering system, I didn't get the body color hardtop I was expecting, so they got a good discount for me from Jeep. I declined financing through them up front, planning on using my HELOC for the balance owed. When I went to pick up the Jeep, I said we could negotiate the trade-in if needed because it had a few scratches/scuffs/dings they had not been aware of and I got a better price than originally planned. They checked it over and kept the original offer. The used car market being up probably helped out, but still a great experience.
If you order I would assume you can avoid many of those fluff charges?

My original trade in quote may have been dependent on the vehicle. Ford offered me $8K more, which I wasn't expecting anywhere else.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I’d suggest using the search feature at the top of the screen and searching the word florida for on this forum only. I know people have posted about dealers there previously. Go order what you want!

I saw this one : https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-4xe-dealers.63889/post-1413060

you can also search this thread - but will need to zero in on 4xe. But gives you a good idea of the good guys (vs the slime that you just dealt with)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
We have dealers in my area that play the same game. They lure you in, and hope the "new car fever" will take over.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

Not going to give up? Meaning, you walked away from that dealer never to return, and go find another dealer. I bought mine for 7% under invoice over email. Plus a $499 dealer fee, that's it. Don't negotiate at the dealer, do it all over email where you have the power and all the real numbers in front of you.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
In the process again. I found a 100% match about 200 miles away. All SMS/e-mail so far.
Sponsored