4xe custom rear trunk mat

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
The first purchase I make for any new car I own is all weather floor mats and trunk mat. I go camping and hiking frequently so having rubber mats is a must for me. After months of having stuff slide around in my trunk and constant vacuuming, I finally got tired of waiting for a company to come up with a 4xe specific trunk mat and decided to get a universal trunk mat to trim to fit my Jeep.

I found a Michelin brand universal trunk mat at Costco for $29.99 and decided to give it a try. After laying out the mat in the trunk, I realized it wouldn’t take much trimming for it to fit the way I wanted it to. My priorities were:

1) Have complete coverage over the trunk carpet.
2) Rear swing gate must not cause any bunching when shut.

I began by centering the mat, and identifying which areas needed to be trimmed away. Most of the sections were easy to cut away since there were already predesignated sections to cut, but the area underneath the subwoofer and the swing gate latch didn’t really follow a predesignated cut pattern so I used a sharpie to mark where I should cut. Start to finish took roughly an hour with numerous adjustments to the mat position and triple checking which sections to trim away before cutting. I considered cutting away the flaps that go up the side walls of the trunk, but I think I like having some protection for those plastics. I’m very happy that there is enough excess mat to protect the “hump” that sits behind the rear seats.

Overall I’m satisfied with the results, no more having things slide around on the carpet in my trunk. Down the road I will think of ways to secure the mat and help prevent it from moving too much. I considered using double sided carpet tape, but didn’t want the adhesive to ruin the carpet or trunk plastics. Maybe I’ll cut slits in the mat and stick the trunk floor D rings through them to help hold the mat in place.

Things to note:

1) Triple check to make sure you don’t trim away too much. You can always cut away more, but you can’t fuse the rubber back together if you make a mistake.
2) Take your time and make smooth clean cuts (I used scissors, but a utility knife would be fine too).
3) Black sharpie is perfect to make marks on where to cut. The sharpie rubs off of the mat when you’re done (I just licked my thumb and rubbed the sharpie off of the mat easily) and if you miss some, it won’t be noticeable.
4) The wavy section of the mat on the left side is not the mat sitting improperly. The trunk itself is not flat in that section and the mat does a pretty good job of following the contours of the trunk.
5) Michelin universal trunk mat - found at Costco. Item #1455178. $29.99

7ADC3FD1-7E5F-4D13-B13D-46183C0A70DF.jpeg

91F56A29-926C-4585-B8DB-68D924F554B6.jpeg

51282B41-C09B-4791-A511-B9B30DB23037.jpeg

979EFA1D-15B2-454A-A5C7-5B8EA8207E9C.jpeg

E96853A6-2EE6-421A-BC93-AD15C7B4BE3A.png

BCEA8970-8C06-4050-AB1C-13E3CCF7E1F0.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Getmadboy

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I ended up buying a second trunk mat to use as seat back protection for the rear seats when folded down. It fits ok, I just kind of laid it on top of the folded rear seats with no trimming (yet). The “winged flaps” actually follow the lines and shape of the folded rear seats pretty well so I think I may just leave it as is. I will need to trim the side near the subwoofer eventually to get it to fit properly. The part that meets the trunk mat drapes over the “hump” behind the rear seats so there is continuous coverage to protect from damage. This should be sufficient for when I load up the Jeep with all my camping gear.

56FB6FFC-FA43-4520-B461-DE4234D8DF9F.jpeg

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Thanks to Getmadboy's post I went to Costco this weekend and bought a pair of these. They're very flexible and "grippy", easy to cut, and mold themselves to the interior side panels. The second one uncut is perfect for the rear seats when folded. Great find!

OP
OP
Getmadboy

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Thanks to Getmadboy's post I went to Costco this weekend and bought a pair of these. They're very flexible and "grippy", easy to cut, and mold themselves to the interior side panels. The second one uncut is perfect for the rear seats when folded. Great find!
I had low expectations of a universal mat, but it fits my needs and didn’t take much trimming to fit pretty well in the 4xe. I might upgrade down the road to whatever 4xe specific mat comes out, but it’s solid and gets the job done for a low price 👍👍
Sponsored