4xe Coolant leak and MPG

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I would be very hesitant to take the 4xeJeep in the woods with all those hoses running everywhere. Yikes!
I am taking it out this weekend for a short tent camping trip. :)

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Just a guess on your gas mileage, but was the vehicle charged when you picked it up? My mpg was similarly low when I drove it home but they had just received it that day and it showed <1% which I'm assuming is going to reduce the impact of the hybrid system on the fuel efficiency?

OP
OP

Mrr.23

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Just a guess on your gas mileage, but was the vehicle charged when you picked it up? My mpg was similarly low when I drove it home but they had just received it that day and it showed <1% which I'm assuming is going to reduce the impact of the hybrid system on the fuel efficiency?

That's a great thought, but it was charged. I honestly don't know if they are even looking at or addressing that.

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
We were driving in hybrid mode. We were in the low 14s, but we got in some stop-and-go traffic. It only got to above 16 after we got off the freeway and onto the less crowded highway.
I am in the same boat right. Ow with my confusion on 4xe mpg. I have the rubicon 4xe and I picked mine up in Austin and drove it 8 hours home to Amarillo. I had 16 mpg on the highway and had to stop three times to refill. My overall mpg is now at 20 but that is only because I am using the all electric a lot and that has raised it but as soon as I go back into hybrid the mpg avg starts to drop again. Also my total range with full gas tank and full charge is just slightly over 270 miles. I thought Jeep and the EPA released total range at 370 miles.

Sponsored

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
That's a great thought, but it was charged. I honestly don't know if they are even looking at or addressing that.
My average showed super low when I picked it up, likely due to transport and prep run-in. The average has slowly been creeping up the more I drive it and now shows an 18MPG average. It read 11.2 when I picked it up with 20 miles on it. I have about 200 miles on it in total with around 50 off-road miles.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Unfortunately this is a very common thing that almost all manufacturers experience when they start producing plug in vehicles. If the pink fluid is coolant then the most common cause of the leak is overflow expansion due to an improper fill at the factory. Very easy to do considering how complicated the cooling systems are with these types of vehicles.

The next most common issue is a leaking connection or pipe. There are a couple dozen connections and plumbing everywhere....especially this vehicle. Jeep put the battery inside the cabin and the electronics under the cab between the frame rails and then one motor in the transmission and the other motor on the engine itself. All this stuff needs some cooling so there is plumbing all over the place.

So, the bad news is the parts are not common and are specific to the 4xe. The good news is most all those connections are very low pressure so they should last a very long time and not need service for 100k miles or longer.

I hope you get your Jeep back soon.

20210505_182621.jpg

20210505_182546.jpg

20210505_182436.jpg

20210505_182528.jpg
Your the first person who actually crawled under one of these things ( or maybe on a lift) and snaped a picture. the scary part is all those plastic connections will fail and I wonder how much all those hoses and connector will cost to replace.

I would assume any vendor who designs a skid plate will make a fortune.

I wonder how many folks who ordered one of these even gave this consideration.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your the first person who actually crawled under one of these things ( or maybe on a lift) and snaped a picture. the scary part is all those plastic connections will fail and I wonder how much all those hoses and connector will cost to replace.

I would assume any vendor who designs a skid plate will make a fortune.

I wonder how many folks who ordered one of these even gave this consideration.
I wish I had a standard JL to compare but there are quite a few skid plates under this thing....way more than my son's JK Rubicon has. Even so, there is an area that I think some more protection would be advantageous and that is for the transmission pan (even though it looks very tough already....) and extend it over to the right to protect some hoses that might be exposed. They are tucked up in there pretty good but I can imagine how trail debris can get up in there and cause some damage.

We did take the Jeeps out this weekend and practiced on a mild Jeep trail at Sedona AZ. Schnebly Hill Road, which is a trail used by the Jeep tour companies in the area. It was a good beginner trail to get familiar with the vehicles and shake them down a bit. The High Altitude 4xe actually cleared everything without issues. My son's Rubicon picked up a nice dent in the cross member for the transfer case skit plate. Both trucks are bone stock and appear to have about the same ground clearance as best as I can tell so it was probably just a lapse in judgement on his part. It happens. :)

Here are some more photos, the first is an area that I would like to protect. These are the coolant hoses to the electric heater (cabin and battery). There are a couple pumps up in there as well...
The other photos show some of the factory provided protection. There is a solenoid thing on the back side of the front axle housing tube. I suppose it has something to do with the 4HAuto feature. It has a beefy looking steel protective housing. I think something like this would be useful for the differential housings as well. Might look and see what is available for those things.

We are already planning our next outing at the end of this month. :)

Oh yeah......we averaged 20.2 mpg up and back. 4 passengers in the cab and packed full of gear. :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Coolant leak and MPG 2021 JL 4xe PTC hoses

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Coolant leak and MPG 2021 JL bellhousing plate

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Coolant leak and MPG 2021 JL Fr Axl solenoid

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Coolant leak and MPG 2021 JL skid plates rear

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Coolant leak and MPG 2021 JL Tcase plate

Last edited:

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the 4xe sits a bit higher than the JK Rubi......not sure. Will measure next time we get the two jeeps together....

01 Schnebly Hill Road Vista.jpg

02 SHR Vista.jpg

03 SHR vista.jpg

04 SHR canyon.jpg

OP
OP

Mrr.23

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Our jeep has been at the dealer for over a month now. They had to engineer a new clamp to fix the leak, and we've had a lot of back and forth with "any day now" and "no eta." It finally arrived this week, and they told us we could pick it up today (after calling to see if we could bring them the spare key because they locked ours in the car). My husband got a call first thing this morning, and they said not to come. They had a tech drive it yesterday to check on the low gas mileage, and about 4 miles in, the check engine light came on and indicated a problem with the hybrid battery. They have to get an electrician to check it out now.

So we now have a "new" issue and no eta again.

FCA did reimburse our first month's payment. On top of buying a new car and immediately having problems (that do not seem to be unique to our vehicle), the communication from both our dealer and FCA has been frustrating. We are both trying to be understanding, but to say we are disappointed in this purchase and FCA would be an understatement.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Our jeep has been at the dealer for over a month now. They had to engineer a new clamp to fix the leak, and we've had a lot of back and forth with "any day now" and "no eta." It finally arrived this week, and they told us we could pick it up today (after calling to see if we could bring them the spare key because they locked ours in the car). My husband got a call first thing this morning, and they said not to come. They had a tech drive it yesterday to check on the low gas mileage, and about 4 miles in, the check engine light came on and indicated a problem with the hybrid battery. They have to get an electrician to check it out now.

FCA did reimburse our first month's payment. On top of buying a new car and immediately having problems (that do not seem to be unique to our vehicle), the communication from both our dealer and FCA has been frustrating. We are both trying to be understanding, but to say we are disappointed in this purchase and FCA would be an understatement.
Did you set up/use the Uconnect app to unlock the vehicle?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired

What a bummer. I hope you get it sorted out soon. Maybe they will just do a buy back and replace it.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Is there no anti-lockout feature? I though most vehicles from the past 15 years have that.

Anyway, I went on an eTorque dive for the prior JLs that have had them. They contain similar cooling systems. It seems a number of them had coolant leaks because of manufacturing/assembly issues. Otherwise, I think they were fine if they had been put together correctly.

Also, I was expecting the follow-up to include a CEL out the service department! That seems to be common.

rlnAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 4XE Sting Gray

Mrr.23- Hello, can you update your situation? I picked up my 4XE Rubicon on 7/7. 4 days later saw a couple drops of purple coolant on the garage floor. Pretty sure the leak is from the turbo reservoir area. May be from an overflow situation, not sure. Took it to the dealer, little help. Could be an overflow so I am going to wait for a bit. The leak is a drop at a time, about 10 minutes after the Jeep is turned off after a trip. Does not leak after the initial drop.

OP
OP

Mrr.23

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Mrr.23- Hello, can you update your situation? I picked up my 4XE Rubicon on 7/7. 4 days later saw a couple drops of purple coolant on the garage floor. Pretty sure the leak is from the turbo reservoir area. May be from an overflow situation, not sure. Took it to the dealer, little help. Could be an overflow so I am going to wait for a bit. The leak is a drop at a time, about 10 minutes after the Jeep is turned off after a trip. Does not leak after the initial drop.
Howdy! At the advice of a lawyer, we called our note holder, who sent a dealer representative to talk with our dealer. That paired with lots of prayers and my husband calling nearly every day and a lot of back and forth, our dealer ended up buying us out.

They told us FCA wouldnā€™t work with them on buying it back. So they bought it and will have to work until they repair the issue and resale itā€¦ but honestly, itā€™s probably a great deal for them because we had preordered when employee pricing was still applicable, so theyā€™ll make more money the second time around.

We had gotten to the point where jeep engineers didnā€™t know what to do and sent them a ā€œspecial meterā€ and asked them to ā€œjiggleā€ connection points with the meter attached to see what happened. They were going to replace the entire wiring harness and estimated at least a 6-month wait for parts. There were 3 other 4xes in their shop (2 ahead of us) having similar issues.

We are glad to be out of it but it sucks because I genuinely love wranglers, and I am struggling to find something I like now, but it doesnā€™t seem prudent to buy another vehicle from FCA.
Sponsored