4xe Coolant leak and MPG

Mrr.23

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I preordered my 4xe (my 3rd wrangler) and was so excited to pick it up this past Saturday (4/24). We drove it home - about 150 miles - and got up the next day to find a pink fluid on our garage floor. We took it to a friend who also drives a Jeep, and he told us to take it in as it looked like transmission fluid. So my husband took off work Monday (4/26) to drive back to Houston for repairs. The dealership got to it quickly but didnā€™t have parts in stock, so he had to leave with a rental. Itā€™s now Wednesday, and after calling several times, we were told they couldnā€™t find the part, and they will update us when there is new information. Weā€™ve now had the car in the shop longer than weā€™ve had it in our possession.

(Also, we were reading about 14.5-16 mpg... which seems a bit off but possibly unrelated.)

I know people say youā€™re buying problems when you buy a jeep, but this is a bit ridiculous. Iā€™m very frustrated and upset, but we have no idea what to do but wait on them. Does anyone have any advice, or have you heard of similar problems with a vehicle straight off the lot?
Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Unfortunately buying the first wave of a brand new model that's very different than what wrangler has had before you run the risk of early adopter issues, and given current production issues worldwide most people are running into longer-than-expected times to get parts that are normally more readily available.

You should reach out to @JeepCares on here and see if they can offer any guidance!

xmoger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
It absolutely sucks to have a brand new vehicle experience issues right off the lot. Jeep says they have tested it 1.4 million miles prior to release but any first year vehicle is going to have some issues. A first ever hybrid from Jeep may have more growing pains than usual. This coupled with shutdowns, part shortages, a crazy hot buyer's market, etc. is giving me bad vibes about ordering one. I always tell people to buy the 2nd year model of anything new but I really like the concept and am willing to take a chance (though I will be leasing it to hedge my bet).

In any case, I hope your issue is minor and that you are back on the road soon. Jeep can make solid products - my v8 Grand has 158k on the odo and has never had an issue, just normal maintenance . It still runs like a scalded ape. I've had older Cherokees go 200k without issue. Of course, they are simpler vehicles but the heritage is still there. You may be the victim of a freak issue or something more widespread with the model. Only time will tell. Keep us posted.

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
After picking up my factory ordered 2020 JLUR from the dealership, I noticed a coolant leak the day after I got it home. I ended up having to take it back three separate times before they finally found and fixed the issue.

I was also very disappointed to have a brand new vehicle with such a glaring problem, on top of other things. But since the initial issues were resolved, I haven't had any more problems.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I preordered my 4xe (my 3rd wrangler) and was so excited to pick it up this past Saturday (4/24). We drove it home - about 150 miles - and got up the next day to find a pink fluid on our garage floor. We took it to a friend who also drives a Jeep, and he told us to take it in as it looked like transmission fluid. So my husband took off work Monday (4/26) to drive back to Houston for repairs. The dealership got to it quickly but didnā€™t have parts in stock, so he had to leave with a rental. Itā€™s now Wednesday, and after calling several times, we were told they couldnā€™t find the part, and they will update us when there is new information. Weā€™ve now had the car in the shop longer than weā€™ve had it in our possession.

(Also, we were reading about 14.5-16 mpg... which seems a bit off but possibly unrelated.)

I know people say youā€™re buying problems when you buy a jeep, but this is a bit ridiculous. Iā€™m very frustrated and upset, but we have no idea what to do but wait on them. Does anyone have any advice, or have you heard of similar problems with a vehicle straight off the lot?
Unfortunately buying the first wave of a brand new model that's very different than what wrangler has had before you run the risk of early adopter issues, and given current production issues worldwide most people are running into longer-than-expected times to get parts that are normally more readily available.

You should reach out to @JeepCares on here and see if they can offer any guidance!
Hi @WreckEm711,

Thank you for tagging us to bring our attention to this thread.

Hi @Mrr.23,

We certainly understand your frustrations, as this is not the experience we wish for our new Jeep Wrangler 4xe owners. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can have a customer care case opened on your behalf. We would like to offer additional support.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Parts issues are a nightmare for all car manufacturers.. We had to wait 2 months to get an issue fixed on our Honda late last year.

I would just pressure the service folks for a date when you will get the part. It is good your in a rental because that is costing Jeep everyday you don't have your vehicle back.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
14.5-16 mpg seems way off to me, unless you were going uphill into a strong headwind. The worst I've seen in hybrid mode is 21 MPG with 23 to 24 being typical.

Did you have e-save with battery recharge on?

OP
OP

Mrr.23

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
14.5-16 mpg seems way off to me, unless you were going uphill into a strong headwind. The worst I've seen in hybrid mode is 21 MPG with 23 to 24 being typical.

Did you have e-save with battery recharge on?
We were driving in hybrid mode. We were in the low 14s, but we got in some stop-and-go traffic. It only got to above 16 after we got off the freeway and onto the less crowded highway.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
We were driving in hybrid mode. We were in the low 14s, but we got in some stop-and-go traffic. It only got to above 16 after we got off the freeway and onto the less crowded highway.
Did they accidentally give you a 392? That is just so way off. When I was doing 70+ MPH, the worst I saw was 21/22. Speed really kills the hybrid MPG in this vehicle but that's more than understandable.

Keep us posted, this is interesting.

OP
OP

Mrr.23

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Update: We contacted our dealership Tuesday they still have no ETA on parts. We do have a jeep cares ticket number, so we will see if that helps.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Update: We contacted our dealership Tuesday they still have no ETA on parts. We do have a jeep cares ticket number, so we will see if that helps.
What is the part that failed? I've noticed the battery cooling pump and possibly the charging system wiring harness coming up a few times.

These issues seem to happen right away. So it could be a good sign for everyone that made it home from the dealer.

I've been beating on mine out of some caution as I have a road trip in June.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Unfortunately this is a very common thing that almost all manufacturers experience when they start producing plug in vehicles. If the pink fluid is coolant then the most common cause of the leak is overflow expansion due to an improper fill at the factory. Very easy to do considering how complicated the cooling systems are with these types of vehicles.

The next most common issue is a leaking connection or pipe. There are a couple dozen connections and plumbing everywhere....especially this vehicle. Jeep put the battery inside the cabin and the electronics under the cab between the frame rails and then one motor in the transmission and the other motor on the engine itself. All this stuff needs some cooling so there is plumbing all over the place.

So, the bad news is the parts are not common and are specific to the 4xe. The good news is most all those connections are very low pressure so they should last a very long time and not need service for 100k miles or longer.

I hope you get your Jeep back soon.

20210505_182621.jpg

20210505_182546.jpg

20210505_182436.jpg

20210505_182528.jpg
Sponsored