Sponsored

4xe compared to...6 Cylinder

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
1) None

2) Coming from 2018 JLU Sahara 3.6, the 4xe Sahara is a lot quicker, I also hated the ESS in the 2018, good riddance, the ESS was the only thing I did not like about the 2018.

3) I always get the Sahara, this is my 5th Sahara(1999, 2007, 2015, 2018, 20214xe), First Wrangler was the 1990 YJ Laredo, the 3 options I got was the Sky One Touch, Proximity and Cold Weather

I live in a condo, so storing the hard top is always an adventure with the management office, no car parts allowed in the parking spot they say, the Sky top just made things easier since I always bought the dual top + the Sunrider for Hardtop, by the time you price it out the SOT didn't cost much more.

I will never use any of the Rubicon bits, so why pay for them, when I can use the same money to get options in the Sahara that I actually use.

If a lot of your trips are less than 20 miles and you can conveniently charge it up, there is a lot of savings to be had(gas is close to $5 a gallon in Toronto, and I have a heavy foot, I usually got about 16mpg in the 2018, most of my driving is short city trips).

I do about 70% electric and 30% gas(mostly all due to a side hustle), I use public chargers, therefore I spend $3 at night for a full charge and top it up nearby for free during the day, that's another thing, I can charge for free, but I cannot get free gas.

95% of my personal trips are all electric.

If I am going to be driving more than 10 miles, I try to run the gas motor to keep it warm, especially if I know I will be horsing around at times.
Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
No regrets at all. Had a 2018 JL Rubicon 2 door with the V6 and the automatic. Put more than 40,000 miles on it before I sold it back in May. It was insanely quick for what it was with that engine and the auto in manual mode gave me plenty of control any time I needed it. Going to a really heavy 4xe made me skeptical, but that’s unfounded. It’s quick… feels agile and nimble, especially for the weight. Reading peoples complaints on here is probably a bad idea because I’ll always have questions in the back of my mind but So far so good..

I went Rubi again because of the way I travel and explore. I’m out by myself a lot and want to make sure the Jeep can handle anything I stumble across. I don’t go looking for trouble but want to make sure I’m ready when I find it.

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
1) I have no regrets going with the 4xe. Most of my use will be in the city or on road trips, with some light off-roading and overlanding. Since city driving will be like 2/3 of this Jeep’s usage, the 4xe was a no brainer to me. I can go to work or run errands on a single charge which costs less than half of a gallon of gas, plus there’s a free charging station near my house so I can get free charging while at Target or at a restaurant.

2) The engines are much stronger than the 3.6. The torque from the 2.0 + electric motors is impressive, go test drive one if you can.

3) I personally went with the Sahara for many of the reasons in answer #1. I didn’t anticipate using/needing the locking diffs or electronic sway bar disconnect all that much to begin with and I think leather (standard on Sahara, paid option for rubicon) is easier to keep clean. Plus the Sahara 4xe has the same Dana 44 axles and bigger brakes as the rubicon so there’s really not as much of a difference between the Sahara 4xe and Rubicon 4xe (the standard Sahara vs standard rubicon have more differences). You mentioned you’re not an off-roader, but are interested in trying it. The Sahara should be able to handle pretty much anything you would throw at it. You are saving $4000+ going Sahara instead of rubicon. You can always add lockers for a fraction of that if you deem it necessary later on. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! Loving your Sahara in white! You bring up a lot of great points in your Rubi to Sahara comparison that I had not considered. I’m planning on leasing so the additional costs were not really a consideration but now I need to go run another build with the Sahara and see where I land. Thanks again!!!

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
No regrets
More than enough power
Can’t go wrong with the trim. The tax credit made it much easier to splurge on a Rubicon
Thank you so much! Yes, tax credit and 65% residual on the lease makes the Rubi very appealing.

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
No regrets at all. Had a 2018 JL Rubicon 2 door with the V6 and the automatic. Put more than 40,000 miles on it before I sold it back in May. It was insanely quick for what it was with that engine and the auto in manual mode gave me plenty of control any time I needed it. Going to a really heavy 4xe made me skeptical, but that’s unfounded. It’s quick… feels agile and nimble, especially for the weight. Reading peoples complaints on here is probably a bad idea because I’ll always have questions in the back of my mind but So far so good..

I went Rubi again because of the way I travel and explore. I’m out by myself a lot and want to make sure the Jeep can handle anything I stumble across. I don’t go looking for trouble but want to make sure I’m ready when I find it.
Thank you so much! Well, I live in flat, boring North Texas (outside of Dallas), so it takes some effort to find any hills. Sadly, she will be mostly an errand runner, but with the tax credit and residual, I'm leaning towards Rubi trim.

I'm having SO much trouble nailing down a color - love your granite color!

Sponsored

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
1) None

2) Coming from 2018 JLU Sahara 3.6, the 4xe Sahara is a lot quicker, I also hated the ESS in the 2018, good riddance, the ESS was the only thing I did not like about the 2018.

3) I always get the Sahara, this is my 5th Sahara(1999, 2007, 2015, 2018, 20214xe), First Wrangler was the 1990 YJ Laredo, the 3 options I got was the Sky One Touch, Proximity and Cold Weather

I live in a condo, so storing the hard top is always an adventure with the management office, no car parts allowed in the parking spot they say, the Sky top just made things easier since I always bought the dual top + the Sunrider for Hardtop, by the time you price it out the SOT didn't cost much more.

I will never use any of the Rubicon bits, so why pay for them, when I can use the same money to get options in the Sahara that I actually use.

If a lot of your trips are less than 20 miles and you can conveniently charge it up, there is a lot of savings to be had(gas is close to $5 a gallon in Toronto, and I have a heavy foot, I usually got about 16mpg in the 2018, most of my driving is short city trips).

I do about 70% electric and 30% gas(mostly all due to a side hustle), I use public chargers, therefore I spend $3 at night for a full charge and top it up nearby for free during the day, that's another thing, I can charge for free, but I cannot get free gas.

95% of my personal trips are all electric.

If I am going to be driving more than 10 miles, I try to run the gas motor to keep it warm, especially if I know I will be horsing around at times.

Thank you so much! Your use case is very similar to mine. I work from home, so most of my driving is running the kids to/from school and activities. Sounds like you are a BIG Sahara fan! Looking at both Sahara and Rubi, since I am going to lease, the slight bump in residual for the Rubi may push me in that direction even though I know I won't use most of the off-road features. I love the idea of using public charging stations, had not thought that much about it...just assumed I'd always be plugged into my wall (or my neighbors!!!)

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I'm having SO much trouble nailing down a color - love your granite color!
Thanks! I have to say the Granite with the Blue trim was just striking. Much better in person as the pics just don’t do it justice. Then with the blue stitching on the interior, I have to say overall is one of the best combinations they’ve done. My previous Rubicon was white and the red trim looked great with it, but nothing like this….

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe compared to...6 Cylinder C7E8AB8B-14E4-4885-85B8-2EC3F21D8CBE

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe compared to...6 Cylinder 9BF87A45-B024-4D7D-BCD9-306E59F10EA7

101E7EFA-F578-4B45-929E-D37283D5E3CE.jpeg

150E1D5D-33EB-41B4-B37D-4032BCB63FBB.jpeg

0D1AEFC6-6900-41EB-A659-F4A97B93DCD3.jpeg

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I recently sold my '20 JLU Willys (for a profit :) ) and am now looking at ordering a '22 - considering the 4xe heavily, but was hoping to get some feedback from some of you who have been driving the 4xe for a while after having owned a JLU 6 cylinder previously.

1) Any regrets about going with the 4xe?
2) How does the engine "feel" compared to the 6?
3) What trim level is the best and why on the 4xe?
Well, here’s where I landed

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe compared to...6 Cylinder 1642299633965

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I recently sold my '20 JLU Willys (for a profit :) ) and am now looking at ordering a '22 - considering the 4xe heavily, but was hoping to get some feedback from some of you who have been driving the 4xe for a while after having owned a JLU 6 cylinder previously.

1) Any regrets about going with the 4xe?
2) How does the engine "feel" compared to the 6?
3) What trim level is the best and why on the 4xe?
1) Zero regrets.
2) Instantaneous throttle response vs the V6. IMO - The added weight of the battery makes it feel more planted. Easily the most comfortable Jeep I've ever driven.
3) User dependent.

Sponsored

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I would definitely advocate for the Sky One-Touch roof. You’ll get SO much more use out of it than a hard top, and the cost difference is negligible to your dual-top build.
i seriously considered it, but after watching videos of full removal and reinstall, I decided to stick with the 3 piece hard top since I like the ease of removal and the look. I kept my whole top off of my JLU most of the time that I owned it. The Jeep is a spare vehicle for me.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I would definitely advocate for the Sky One-Touch roof. You’ll get SO much more use out of it than a hard top, and the cost difference is negligible to your dual-top build.
-5c in Toronto today and I had the SOT open running errands, I used to do the same with the Sunrider for Hardtop, but the SOT is just so much easier

ras815

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
-5c in Toronto today and I had the SOT open running errands, I used to do the same with the Sunrider for Hardtop, but the SOT is just so much easier
Nice! And unlike the hardtop, when you're tired of having it open, all it takes is one button and <10 seconds before you're back to being covered. No need to store bulky pieces somewhere or worry about attaching the pieces properly to prevent a leak. And with the body-colored side trim, it looks a lot more polished than the soft-top IMO.

It's a highly sensible option, and I'm honestly not sure why anyone wouldn't get one on a ~$60k 4xE especially when amortized over a lease payment. But to each their own, I suppose.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
I get how some people want the one touch top but I run 4+ months a year with no top. When the top is off, I want it off not a the whole frame and sides on it. Geographic area plays into it big, no pop up rainstorms in Socal to worry about.
Sponsored