4xe compared to...6 Cylinder

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I recently sold my '20 JLU Willys (for a profit :) ) and am now looking at ordering a '22 - considering the 4xe heavily, but was hoping to get some feedback from some of you who have been driving the 4xe for a while after having owned a JLU 6 cylinder previously.

1) Any regrets about going with the 4xe?
2) How does the engine "feel" compared to the 6?
3) What trim level is the best and why on the 4xe?
Sponsored

GAGT

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4Xe, 19 TM3P, 02 Ford HD, 01 GAGT
I recently sold my '20 JLU Willys (for a profit :) ) and am now looking at ordering a '22 - considering the 4xe heavily, but was hoping to get some feedback from some of you who have been driving the 4xe for a while after having owned a JLU 6 cylinder previously.

Can't comment from a JLU 6 but from a 18' JKU 6...

1) None. Made a small profit from the JKU, and 4xe was also a $7,500 fed tax credit, $500 state tax rebate, random company cut me a check for $250 because I bought this and had liberty mutual insurance, Sweet!

2) Feel... If you are using just this term its gonna be weird for you but I'll try to be informative.

First and foremost is this is a hybrid so the power delivery coming from electric mode while flooring it is going to be super slow compared to what you are used to. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS ACTUALLY SLOW, it is actually significantly faster. Flooring it while the engine is on will be nice and quick with quick downshift and smooth power delivery. When you properly launch it with 4wd Auto it will chirp the tires so it is no slouch. I think for what this vehicle is, the "feel" is just right.

3) What ever trim you want is the best trim for you. I used the tax incentives to get the Rubicon + Sky One touch for the wife.

With those questions answered you should also know the main benefits of the 4xe (in my eyes)

• Increased mpg's when you have a shorter commute.
  • Increased HP and TQ
  • Tax Incentives
If one of these don't tickle your fancy I would reconsider. Although as you know it is a Wrangler and the resale value of these bad boys are amazing so if you decide it is not for you it wouldn't be a huge loss or like you just experience maybe a wash or small gain(crazy market right now).

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE

1. For me no. There's always a little bit of doubt in the back of my mind about reliability since it is a new platform but so far so good. My JKU was way more of a headache it is first months, knock on wood.
2. I would search all over this forum. There's plenty of great info on the engine options. A near continuous debate is the 2.0 vs the 3.6. Not going to take a side on that one lol. But he 4xe has the 2.0 plus a 40 hp electric motor on the belt and an 140 hp electric motor in the transmission. So its the 2.0 on steroids when you got both motors going and its in 4 auto. You will really feel it starting out. The electric torque is instant.
3. Trim level is subjective. The Sahara is more on road tilted. You will notice a more comfortable smoother and quieter ride than your Willys. Rubicon is way more offroad ready. It has Lockers, sway bar disconnect and taller tires. High Altitude is the Sahara with some option standard like colored top and different rims.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys

Thank you! Same concerns about it being a new platform. I'm perhaps being a little naĂŻve thinking that the '22 will have some of the bugs squashed, but who knows.

I'm still torn on the trim level, thinking the Rubicon is probably the right one. I'm not an off-roader, but having the option is nice since there are some places north and east of me to learn.

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
The only advantage I saw in the 6cyl was that you can still get a MT. Other than that, I only see disadvantages.

Thank you! I'm strictly an automatic guy these days, too old and tired to push a clutch ;-)

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
1) No Ragerts
2) No comparison
3) No choice but a Rubicon

my prior was actually a Grand Cherokee with the 3.6. I’m new to wrangler ownership and still grin every time I walk into my garage. The power is 100% better, especially at altitude.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe compared to...6 Cylinder 82A157A1-9C35-416E-A347-55A11A1E5CD1

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
1) No Ragerts
2) No comparison
3) No choice but a Rubicon

my prior was actually a Grand Cherokee with the 3.6. I’m new to wrangler ownership and still grin every time I walk into my garage. The power is 100% better, especially at altitude.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe compared to...6 Cylinder 82A157A1-9C35-416E-A347-55A11A1E5CD1

Thank you! Awesome pic! Your Rubi is sweeeeeeeeet! Love that color!

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I did have a 2018 JLRU V6 and now a 2021 JLRU 4Xe. I would 100% go with the 4Xe.

No regrets at all. 375hp 470 torque. It's quick and fun to drive and I fill up the gas tank about every 5 to 6 weeks. I do with the tank was bigger. It's only 17gl and I have to stop more frequently on road trips. My V6 was fun but always felt under powered. The battery in the middle under the seats help a lot with the way the ride feels.

side passenger.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I did have a 2018 JLRU V6 and now a 2021 JLRU 4Xe. I would 100% go with the 4Xe.

No regrets at all. 375hp 470 torque. It's quick and fun to drive and I fill up the gas tank about every 5 to 6 weeks. I do with the tank was bigger. It's only 17gl and I have to stop more frequently on road trips. My V6 was fun but always felt under powered. The battery in the middle under the seats help a lot with the way the ride feels.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe compared to...6 Cylinder side passenger
Thank you! That is one SHARP looking Sting Gray! My Willys was too....I'm paralyzed trying to pick a color. You've lifted yours and changed wheels/tires?

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
Thank you! That is one SHARP looking Sting Gray! My Willys was too....I'm paralyzed trying to pick a color. You've lifted yours and changed wheels/tires?
Thank you! I like the way the 4Xe blue looks on that gray, My 2018 JLRU was Silver.
2.5 in and put on 35's. looks about perfect to me.

OP
OP
davidsrosser

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Perfect!!!

Just noticed the Don Davis front plate. My Willys came from there. Did they come off of MSRP on the 4xe???

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe

1) I have no regrets going with the 4xe. Most of my use will be in the city or on road trips, with some light off-roading and overlanding. Since city driving will be like 2/3 of this Jeep’s usage, the 4xe was a no brainer to me. I can go to work or run errands on a single charge which costs less than half of a gallon of gas, plus there’s a free charging station near my house so I can get free charging while at Target or at a restaurant.

2) The engines are much stronger than the 3.6. The torque from the 2.0 + electric motors is impressive, go test drive one if you can.

3) I personally went with the Sahara for many of the reasons in answer #1. I didn’t anticipate using/needing the locking diffs or electronic sway bar disconnect all that much to begin with and I think leather (standard on Sahara, paid option for rubicon) is easier to keep clean. Plus the Sahara 4xe has the same Dana 44 axles and bigger brakes as the rubicon so there’s really not as much of a difference between the Sahara 4xe and Rubicon 4xe (the standard Sahara vs standard rubicon have more differences). You mentioned you’re not an off-roader, but are interested in trying it. The Sahara should be able to handle pretty much anything you would throw at it. You are saving $4000+ going Sahara instead of rubicon. You can always add lockers for a fraction of that if you deem it necessary later on. Hope this helps!

685E6E90-92E4-4EDF-AFCE-3BC9C7B92D8B.jpeg
Sponsored