4xE class action lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court of Georgia

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y, Gladiator
Poking around the NHTSA website, it does seem like a pretty serious issue. Most of the complaints are along the lines of losing all power and having to veer across a 3-line highway to park the vehicle.

If it's not already, I hope it gets fixed for new production units.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/JEEP/WRANGLER%2520UNLIMITED%2520PHEV/SUV/4WD#complaints
Damn that's a lot of issues with it randomly stalling out on the highway with immediate loss of power
Sponsored

TroyG2015

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
How was the entire family almost killed?
we was in the high speed lane on the freeway and when it died I had to get over to the far right lane to pull off. After the turtle showed up on the screen a had literally seconds before the speeds went from 75 down to 40ish. Also it had a half a tank of gas.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
How was the entire family almost killed?
I was lucky because mine died on a backroad at 5:45am with no other vehicles on the road. But you have maybe 15-30 seconds to get off the road before your car will come to a stop. Unless your going downhill and can coast. This would be scary as hell on the freeway doing 60-80 to nothing very quickly.

i had a recall done and there were 5 rapid response updates the dealer performed, some which could be related to this. All I know if mine dies again in the middle of the road Iā€™m going to contact an attorney. Best advice is to record this on your phone if your not crapping your pants.

OP
OP
GroovyGorilla

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WK2 Limited, 21 JLUR 4xe
I was lucky because mine died on a backroad at 5:45am with no other vehicles on the road. But you have maybe 15-30 seconds to get off the road before your car will come to a stop. Unless your going downhill and can coast. This would be scary as hell on the freeway doing 60-80 to nothing very quickly.

i had a recall done and there were 5 rapid response updates the dealer performed, some which could be related to this. All I know if mine dies again in the middle of the road Iā€™m going to contact an attorney. Best advice is to record this on your phone if your not crapping your pants.
The 4xE I have on order will be our first Wrangler, and it took a lot of debating to jump from a Grand Cherokee to the Wrangler. If this happened while my wife was driving, it'd most likely be the last Wrangler we'd own.

The only reason we are getting one is because the 4xE fits our daily commute mileage perfectly, and we can have fun with it on the weekends. I even bailed on my Bronco Badsquatch order for the 4xE Rubicon. However, there is no excuse for releasing a product as ready for consumers if it does this on the highway. I just hope that it is fixed by the time mine ships.

Say what you will about a leaky top on the Bronco, but I'd much rather have that than a vehicle that stops on the highway.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I mean, itā€™s not just the 4xE, I had it happen in my sport. I was approaching a railroad crossing and slowing to about 25 mph. While going over the tracks, the info display said ā€œvehicle not in parkā€. Thought that was weird.....tried to accelerate and nothing. Looked at RPMs and it was zero. Coasted into a shopping center, put it in park, cycled the ignition and it started right back up. Itā€™s been around 40,000 miles since that event, and it never repeated. The tracks werenā€™t abnormally rough either.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
The 4xE I have on order will be our first Wrangler, and it took a lot of debating to jump from a Grand Cherokee to the Wrangler. If this happened while my wife was driving, it'd most likely be the last Wrangler we'd own.

The only reason we are getting one is because the 4xE fits our daily commute mileage perfectly, and we can have fun with it on the weekends. I even bailed on my Bronco Badsquatch order for the 4xE Rubicon. However, there is no excuse for releasing a product as ready for consumers if it does this on the highway. I just hope that it is fixed by the time mine ships.

Say what you will about a leaky top on the Bronco, but I'd much rather have that than a vehicle that stops on the highway.
Aside from that issue, we have loved the vehicle. Its our second Wrangler, our first one was rock solid. So Iā€˜m optimistic that one of the fixes resolved this issue. So far (just under 3K miles ) we are averaging 41.7mpg and the family loves the vehicle. Honestly there is nothing else out there that has the functionality, and fun factor of the 4xe that gives me such great gas mileage and power. So Iā€™m not down on the product but I really hope we turned the corner on this issue.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When I saw the title of this thread, I figured a group of people had sued because nobody told them the cost per mile to drive a 4xe is literally identical to a diesel to 2.0L gas model, or because nobody told them they'd be contributing to environmental decay due to lithium mining and hazardous waste being generated during manufacturing. That they'd be literally getting the opposite of what they thought they were getting by buying a "hybrid".

In actuality it's all about the 4xe shutting down and putting families at risk of dying on the interstate? Good grief.... that's nuts.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
This is good to know. Keep us updated.

Any early warning signs to be aware of? No odd lights or dings? Iā€™ve got a regular Baltimore - Boston loop to see extended family.

Made a few trips across PA and NY while averaging 65-70. Havenā€™t experienced anything that severe yet. Closing in on 4K miles.

West1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
We picked up our R4XE on Saturday at the Mall of Georgia Jeep and drove home to Florida on Sunday. 7 hours into the 10 hour trip the dash showed a red turtle and then my speeds immediately slowed down and then it died. I was on the Florida Turnpike and barley had time to pull off the road. My entire family was almost killed. After it died it wouldnā€™t do anything as it was completely dead. After 45 minutes of waiting for roadside assistance I decided to try to start and again and it started up and I made it all the way home. At this point my wife is scared to death to drive it and itā€™s her Jeep.
Were you using adaptive cruise control at the time? I have read some post from others who suspected the stall was somehow related to the adaptive cruise control.

TroyG2015

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Were you using adaptive cruise control at the time? I have read some post from others who suspected the stall was somehow related to the adaptive cruise control.
no cruise control was being used at the time of the stall. Like what Thill444 said, You only have seconds to respond.My wife said she is going to avoid getting on highways with it for a while. If this happens again we are going to trade it in and take the loss.

Sponsored

Maller

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito!
Just wanted to share our 4xe shutoff on the highway over the summer. 10 hour drive to the outer banks. It died within a mile of where my brother in laws hybrid sonata died the prior year. His said the battery was too hot and needed to cool down. Ours lost all power on the bridge, which meant going to the half shoulder and putting it in park. Single press of the start button and the gas engine fired up. No issues since. Could be long drives, flat areas where electric turns on and off or is slowly used for extended periods. Who knows. To be fair my Sahara died twice in the first 700 miles of owning it. 43k now and no issues since.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Hybrd is not the answer. Huge battery packs are not either. Electrical generation on the go is. Fuel cell technology looks most promising and all the big players are working on it. We aren't that far off.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Hybrd is not the answer. Huge battery packs are not either. Electrical generation on the go is. Fuel cell technology looks most promising and all the big players are working on it. We aren't that far off.
The auto world isn't going towards fuel cells. Can't store enough in the on-board tank for most people's tastes. You might get e novelty car here or there but we're going through hybrids to all-electric. That's the end game. The maintenance on all-electrics will be near nothing in the not-so-distant future.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
When I saw the title of this thread, I figured a group of people had sued because nobody told them the cost per mile to drive a 4xe is literally identical to a diesel to 2.0L gas model, or because nobody told them they'd be contributing to environmental decay due to lithium mining and hazardous waste being generated during manufacturing. That they'd be literally getting the opposite of what they thought they were getting by buying a "hybrid".

In actuality it's all about the 4xe shutting down and putting families at risk of dying on the interstate? Good grief.... that's nuts.

Hydrogen power would have been awesome to have in a Jeep.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I guess that's one way to make sure you get a decent payout in a class action suit instead of most of the money going to attorney fees...

Thompson O'Brien Kappler & Nasuti, P.C.

In all seriousness though, this sounds almost exactly like @michail 's Atlanta experience.
The header on the lawyer's web site looks like about where I was, lol.

My 4xe has been fine since but I don't drive on highways very often. I avoid them because of the stress and flying rocks.

I've come to suspect many problems are the result of older computer hardware platforms handling increasingly more complex tasks. Even part of the reason for automotive chip shortages are the chip suppliers don't want to be making the old tech.

I hope the RRTs address these random power losses.
Sponsored