Sponsored

4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
When you go to forums, you will find all kinds of issues with all cars. It is a part of forums. You'll never buy a car if you go off forum problems.
I'm still buying one, just delaying it until things sort themselves out in the next few months. Give it time so that recurring issues can be properly diagnosed and service techs have working experience in the hybrid setup.

My summer roadtrips are 6-7k miles long so having an issue or waiting days at a faraway dealership for parts, I rather not deal with it. Our 2019 Rubi has been flawless, my wife's former GC, not a single issue in almost 100k miles in 4 years of owbership. The only vehicle that left us stranded was a Mercedes G550 which wouldn't get out of limp mode on a dry riverbed and had to be towed 4 hours to closet MB dealership.
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The only vehicle that left us stranded was a Mercedes G550 which wouldn't get out of limp mode on a dry riverbed and had to be towed 4 hours to closet MB dealership.
Yikes, I'm going to be in the Mountains of North Georgia in a month. While not the most remote location I'd hate to get stuck deep in the forest roads. Last time I was there AT&T was non-existent.

When I was a teenager, getting stranded was a common occurrence. No cell phones either!

4times

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4xe
Hello, Bumps Ahead, AmarilloJLU ,TheYagermeister, JAJLWRang, 4times and lj1469ky.

I am very sorry to hear of your CEL concerns and would be happy to dig in further. If you'd like to discuss, please separately message me with more details and we can get started. Additionally, anyone else that I didn't catch, please feel free to private message if you are experiencing concerns with your 4xe! Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares

I did get my 4xE Rubicon back this week. I was provided a very high milage loaner that smelled like smoke, but I soldiered though the 3 weeks.

When I picked up my 4xE I could tell it had been sitting outside for last 3 weeks and had layers of dirt on it. It was as dirty as I've seen it (although I only had it a week before taking it to the dealer), the battery was dead (at 1%), and down to about 1/4 tank of gas.

Under the circumstances, the dealer should have probably "re-delivered" me the 4xE with a full tank of gas, 100% charged, and a quick car wash. That's what happens when I take my Audi E-Tron in for regular service, but like others have said, that's not a Jeep thing to do for these dealers. The dealer employee bringing me the 4xE said he couldn't get it to start (he didn't know it was electric) but that's another story.

Anyway, I think battery coolant pump was replaced. Not sure if it is a design or manufacturing problem. Dealer appeared to have no training or knowledge on the 4xE or what was going on with the repairs. I basically didn't hear much from the dealer until it was done 3 weeks later.

Last, but not least, I was about 1/2 way home from dealer and I got a pop up message that said "service 4wd system" which hasn't come back on the last couple days (this could have had something to do with the dealer employee saying he couldn't get it to start or into gear - smh).

To say that I have some concerns about my $60k+ new car is an understatement. This might be a quick flip. Sorry Chrysler, I tried to support you all.

Last edited:

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yikes, I'm going to be in the Mountains of North Georgia in a month. While not the most remote location I'd hate to get stuck deep in the forest roads. Last time I was there AT&T was non-existent.

When I was a teenager, getting stranded was a common occurrence. No cell phones either!
Tow truck driver also got stuck in the deep gravel and he had to use the back part of the tow wheel thingy to push up his rear tires, bunny mini steps. Once we both were out on drive-able surface, he had to go back to shop and get a flat bed truck. It was an interesting half day wasted but I bet he made a killing from Mercedes.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I did get my 4xE Rubicon back this week. I was provided a very high milage loaner that smelled like smoke, but I soldiered though the 3 weeks.

When I picked up my 4xE I could tell it had been sitting outside for last 3 weeks and had layers of dirt on it. It was as dirty as I've seen it (although I only had it a week before taking it to the dealer), the battery was dead (at 1%), and down to about 1/4 tank of gas.

Under the circumstances, the dealer should have probably "re-delivered" me the 4xE with a full tank of gas, 100% charged, and a quick car wash. That's what happens when I take my Audi E-Tron in for regular service, but like others have said, that's not a Jeep thing to do for these dealers. The dealer employee bringing me the 4xE said he couldn't get it to start (he didn't know it was electric) but that's another story.

Anyway, I think battery coolant pump was replaced. Not sure if it is a design or manufacturing problem. Dealer appeared to have no training or knowledge on the 4xE or what was going on with the repairs. I basically didn't hear much from the dealer until it was done 3 weeks later.

Last, but not least, I was about 1/2 way home from dealer and I got a pop up message that said "service 4wd system" which hasn't come back on the last couple days (this could have had something to do with the dealer employee saying he couldn't get it to start or into gear - smh).

To say that I have some concerns about my $60k+ new car is an understatement. This might be a quick flip. Sorry Chrysler, I tried to support you all.
Wow, that's some rough treatment. Jeeps look good dirty at least.

Were you driving in 4 Auto at the time? I'm wondering if sitting for 3 weeks on a depleted battery may have caused that warning.

You'll probably get a survey, they really take notice if you score them low.

I had a Mercedes a while back and those service trips were top notch, lol. You get a little spoiled after that. They'd always insist on a loaner too.

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Wow, that's some rough treatment. Jeeps look good dirty at least.

Were you driving in 4 Auto at the time? I'm wondering if sitting for 3 weeks on a depleted battery may have caused that warning.

You'll probably get a survey, they really take notice if you score them low.

I had a Mercedes a while back and those service trips were top notch, lol. You get a little spoiled after that. They'd always insist on a loaner too.
I've had the luxury manufacturer cars other than Mercedes and I've had the standard level cars. There is a big difference between service experiences from the two types. You also pay a premium for that excellent service experience but it is pretty nice when needed. BTW, I'm pretty confident my luxury brand cars have spent more time in the shop than my non luxury brand cars. I also got nice loaner cars when those things happened. Not so much if at all with non luxury.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've had the luxury manufacturer cars other than Mercedes and I've had the standard level cars. There is a big difference between service experiences from the two types. You also pay a premium for that excellent service experience but it is pretty nice when needed. BTW, I'm pretty confident my luxury brand cars have spent more time in the shop than my non luxury brand cars. I also got nice loaner cars when those things happened. Not so much if at all with non luxury.
Lol, yes. I only had a C Class Merc. Sometimes I wanted to say, "I payed less than $100K, just stop it." But Ford gave me a good slap in the face there and put me in my place. But all of us do work hard for our money. Whether it's 20k or 200k.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Actually, at domestic dealerships, the lower paid jobs tend to have the best work ethics and customer service in my experience. It's the mid and upper management's failing.

pat12bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Traded my 19 JLUR yesterday, took the new 4xe home, plugged it in overnight, CEL came in on my way out the driveway this AM. Anyone have a TSB yet? $65K sticker vehicle... @JeepCares not happy.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Traded my 19 JLUR yesterday, took the new 4xe home, plugged it in overnight, CEL came in on my way out the driveway this AM. Anyone have a TSB yet? $65K sticker vehicle... @JeepCares not happy.
So is this CEL light due to the gas cap issues? And is the vehicle put in limp mode? Or it's driving fine but the light is on?

Sponsored

Matthewcola

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
So this is the my first experience with owning a new Jeep.

Took delivery of my 4xe Sahara a few weeks ago. Less than 100 miles on electric and around 500 on gas. Today after charging from 20%-100% (level 2) turned it on and got the CEL. Drove 2 miles didn’t turn off. Checked a few forums found similar posts and ended up here. I have taken the advice of others with reseating gas gap a couple of times. Checked fuses and relays (a few were indeed loose). Tried cycling the vehicle on and off a few times to no avail.

No other concerns with driveability or functionality with the Jeep other than the light being on. Preparing to take it to the dealer soon.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
So are you all having this problem with level 2 chargers or also with the factory level 1

Matthewcola

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
So are you all having this problem with level 2 chargers or also with the factory level 1
I’ve used both, primarily the level 2 and didn’t have any problems until today. I use ChargePoint and looked at my history and shows about 6 charges in total.

pat12bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So is this CEL light due to the gas cap issues? And is the vehicle put in limp mode? Or it's driving fine but the light is on?
No limp mode. I’m just P.O.d that I made it all of 20 miles in the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever owned and I have to take it in for service.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've put a pause on planned purchase of inbound dealer inventory Rubi 4XE due to these early engine/shut down/battery issues. It's one thing to break down close to home, but this is an adventure/roadtrip vehicle for my family.
The thought of being stranded away from home or middle of nowhere on a brand new vehicle due to faulty electronics or battery issues is too high atm. Will roadtrip on our LX570 this summer instead.
I typed all that out and of course 24 hours later I ended up buying a Rubi 4XE fully loaded, traded in our 2019 Rubi. Local dealer had a black one fresh from train depot and marked down 9k compared to some selling at 5-8k above MSRP. They even gave me 3k more for my Rubi vs what I paid new for 2 years eatlier. After Fed credit, I am looking at a $500 profit.
Sponsored