Sponsored

4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Dealer said to do full evaluation they needed to have vehicle at 100% charge on the battery pack, so they charged it, and took it for a drive and just called to say that almost immediately upon leaving the shop that the battery display dropped to 50%. Jeep engineer apparently on their way out (from where, I donā€™t know) to investigate further. šŸ˜£
I just picked my 4Xe up yesterday. I did not drive it at all today and tonight when I got in to get something out of it it said my hood was open and I would not be able to charge the car if it stayed open. I turned the Jeep on and lo and behold the check engine light came on and will not go off. I drove it around for about 5 mins and still the check engine light stays on. I have only had the thing for 48 hours. Hopefully somebody has gotten an update on their check engine issue.
I spoke too soon, too soon. CEL is back after a few hours. I guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer soon...
4xe is 1 week old and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer, and they checked the code, and explained they have had 4-5 others come in with the same issue this week. It apparently is listing as a small leak with the EVAPā€¦ they explained that the car is safe to drive, but needs a 2 hour maintenance to fix itā€¦.
My 4xe rubicon is still at the dealer. Been over 2 weeks. Dealership doesnā€™t really know what to do it seems. Chrysler called me and said their engineers are working with dealership giving my 4xe a ā€œwhite gloveā€ inspection to make sure they have found the problem that keeps triggering CEL. They donā€™t think itā€™s actual battery coolant pump even though thatā€™s the error code. They think itā€™s ā€œelectricalā€.

I guess another week and Iā€™m close to being able to declare it a lemon. Brand new car and I havenā€™t had use of it for over a few weeks now. Disappointing.
Update:

Took the Jeep in this morning and the CEL did not switch off on the way there (12 mile trip). The OBD2 scanner showed the same error with the HCP. The service manager thinks the sensor is bad or got broken during assembly at the factory. He said if a part needs to be ordered because of a bad sensor, it could be 7 days or more before I get it back. He also let me know they will most likely not be able to look at the Jeep until Monday since they are only open until 12pm on Saturdays.

I am sure I will be without my brand new Jeep for a week or more if a part needs to be ordered.

Side note, the person who placed the actual order for my Jeep ordered the BSW tires instead of the OWL tires that my salesman specified in the order sheet. They have agreed to replace those but will not be in until next week. They hopefully will arrive while it is in for service so I won't have to make multiple trips.

Prayers are always appreciated that this all gets fixed quickly and definitively.
Hello, Bumps Ahead, AmarilloJLU ,TheYagermeister, JAJLWRang, 4times and lj1469ky.

I am very sorry to hear of your CEL concerns and would be happy to dig in further. If you'd like to discuss, please separately message me with more details and we can get started. Additionally, anyone else that I didn't catch, please feel free to private message if you are experiencing concerns with your 4xe! Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Last edited:

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 4xe; 2020 JTR
Im glad I came to this thread because my CEL came on a couple of days ago and I hadnā€™t heard of any issues with othersā€¦ now I see Iā€™m not the only one.
Finally got around to the dealership yesterday and it gave me a code of P-1503-00, ā€œControl Pilot Duty Cycle Out of Range.ā€
The service advisor said heā€™d never heard of that in his entire lifeā€¦ [reassuring].
They told me it would be several hours before they could look at it, so I asked him to just reset it and see if it would come back on. This morning it came back on. I was wondering if it was related to the charging because it didnā€™t come on until I got it plugged up to my Tesla charger in my garage. I have to use an adaptor that the Jeep doesnā€™t seem to be fond of. It gives me error messages every time before it finally starts charging.
Maybe when I have a free day to waste at the dealership Iā€™ll take it up there for more diagnosing.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Im glad I came to this thread because my CEL came on a couple of days ago and I hadnā€™t heard of any issues with othersā€¦ now I see Iā€™m not the only one.
Finally got around to the dealership yesterday and it gave me a code of P-1503-00, ā€œControl Pilot Duty Cycle Out of Range.ā€
The service advisor said heā€™d never heard of that in his entire lifeā€¦ [reassuring].
They told me it would be several hours before they could look at it, so I asked him to just reset it and see if it would come back on. This morning it came back on. I was wondering if it was related to the charging because it didnā€™t come on until I got it plugged up to my Tesla charger in my garage. I have to use an adaptor that the Jeep doesnā€™t seem to be fond of. It gives me error messages every time before it finally starts charging.
Maybe when I have a free day to waste at the dealership Iā€™ll take it up there for more diagnosing.
We would like to discuss your concerns as well, sirphenergan. Send our team a private message with more details to get started. We look forward to assisting you.

Kate
Jeep Cares

rkoco321

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK
We would like to discuss your concerns as well, sirphenergan. Send our team a private message with more details to get started. We look forward to assisting you.

Kate
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares

Is FCA/Stellantis providing rentals for new owners while these vehicles are being serviced?

Many of us bought from various parts of the country or travel frequently. I'd be very concerned if my 4xE broke down in limp mode with CEL issue and cannot be troubleshooted unless a dedicated 4xE engineer has to travel to troubleshoot the car. Should I feel reluctant to drive the truck because I'm not confident about the manufacturer doing the right thing by the customer?

In the past, Jeep dealers do not provide rentals, some franchise locations do as a courtesy to their own customers who they sold to, unless you had a extended warranty, which is ridiculous, it should be provided on a corporate level nationwide, especially with the launch of this new 4xE product. I shouldn't have to go to Jeep Cares chatroom to escalate my cases while Jeep pretends they're doing me a favor.

It's already disappointing FCA has increased the price of the 4xE, while service has historically been awful at most dealerships throughout the country. I have had 4 Chrysler products in the last 10 years in my family and never had a pleasant experience at any dealership for warranty work.

Something needs to change, how much longer can FCA bank on customer loyalty and produce a subpar product and terrible aftercare service. Some of these Wranglers are at over 60 grand on the sticker. Toyota gives loaners to all their customers for warranty work regardless of what dealership the vehicle was purchased in if they need to keep the car for over a day, it's part of their corporate Transportation Assistance Policy.

andrea.sahara4xe

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
@JeepCares

Hi Kate, like @koco321, I'm purchasing from out of state dealer. I'm seeing a lot of chatter in FB groups about the check engine light and I'm concerned about paying $60k then having to turn around and pay for days if not weeks for a car rental because of an issue that appears to be trending.

I'm seeing the the 4xe was the 2nd fastest vehicle sold in April. You all may want to consider making some assurances available while the issue is being addressed or that number may start to drop.

Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Interesting. I think I remember reading that another 4xe owner said the same thing about their CEL being caused by a ā€œlooseā€ gas cap.
The fuel system in hybrids is typically pressurized for some reason that I donā€™t recall. A loose gas cap would prevent pressurization.

Iā€™m about to order a 4xe which I intend to lease. That seems to be the safest way to be an early adopter.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW both times my 4XE has been in the shop a free loaner has been provided, once from Enterprise as the dealer had no more loaners and currently in dealer loaner, has not been an issue and didnā€™t even have to ask.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares

Is FCA/Stellantis providing rentals for new owners while these vehicles are being serviced?

Many of us bought from various parts of the country or travel frequently. I'd be very concerned if my 4xE broke down in limp mode with CEL issue and cannot be troubleshooted unless a dedicated 4xE engineer has to travel to troubleshoot the car. Should I feel reluctant to drive the truck because I'm not confident about the manufacturer doing the right thing by the customer?

In the past, Jeep dealers do not provide rentals, some franchise locations do as a courtesy to their own customers who they sold to, unless you had a extended warranty, which is ridiculous, it should be provided on a corporate level nationwide, especially with the launch of this new 4xE product. I shouldn't have to go to Jeep Cares chatroom to escalate my cases while Jeep pretends they're doing me a favor.

It's already disappointing FCA has increased the price of the 4xE, while service has historically been awful at most dealerships throughout the country. I have had 4 Chrysler products in the last 10 years in my family and never had a pleasant experience at any dealership for warranty work.

Something needs to change, how much longer can FCA bank on customer loyalty and produce a subpar product and terrible aftercare service. Some of these Wranglers are at over 60 grand on the sticker. Toyota gives loaners to all their customers for warranty work regardless of what dealership the vehicle was purchased in if they need to keep the car for over a day, it's part of their corporate Transportation Assistance Policy.
@JeepCares

Hi Kate, like @koco321, I'm purchasing from out of state dealer. I'm seeing a lot of chatter in FB groups about the check engine light and I'm concerned about paying $60k then having to turn around and pay for days if not weeks for a car rental because of an issue that appears to be trending.

I'm seeing the the 4xe was the 2nd fastest vehicle sold in April. You all may want to consider making some assurances available while the issue is being addressed or that number may start to drop.
Great questions, rkoco321 and andrea.sahara4xe.

To provide some clarity here, concerns are reviewed on a case by case basis and although I cannot guarantee anything, if the dealer has loaners available, you should be able to work out usage with them. That said, we take concerns with 4xe vehicles very seriously and if either of you see a CEL or otherwise, we ask that you reach out in private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
@JeepCares

Keep in mind that no deliveries were made before April, so all of the backed-up orders were released and officially sold in that month, so that "fastest selling vehicle" is overstated.

Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

rkoco321

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK
Great questions, rkoco321 and andrea.sahara4xe.

To provide some clarity here, concerns are reviewed on a case by case basis and although I cannot guarantee anything, if the dealer has loaners available, you should be able to work out usage with them. That said, we take concerns with 4xe vehicles very seriously and if either of you see a CEL or otherwise, we ask that you reach out in private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I appreciate the response but this isn't very reassuring.

In the past, I've been told to wait 2-3 weeks for a loaner vehicle for warranty work at a dealership I purchased my Jeep at, and that's a major reason why I didn't order my 4xE from them anymore.

This has been the trend at many dealerships in the northeast, especially the NY/NJ area. Like I mentioned before, this is the 5th Jeep product in my household. I've played this game before.

However being that the 4xE is what I would consider a flagship premium product, I was hoping FCA would be a little bit more accommodating.

I don't want to be in a position where I am nowhere near my house, with a breakdown, only to have the vehicle towed to the closest dealer with no way to get home, especially with no rental reassurance available from FCA/Stellantis. I mean this respectively, but to tell a customer to reach out to Jeep Cares through a private message at that point is extremely insulting.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
My dealership has as rental company on site. My new 2018 Grand Cherokee had some cosmetic issues off the lot. It was an Overland Edition, so one of the more expensive models. The rental place gave me a base 200C to drive. I wasn't happy but the rental car company had nothing better available. I complained to the new car sales manager that I'm paying for a new vehicle that I only drove for a couple of days and the 200 isn't even close in price. The new car side gave me a demo Grand Cherokee to drive.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've put a pause on planned purchase of inbound dealer inventory Rubi 4XE due to these early engine/shut down/battery issues. It's one thing to break down close to home, but this is an adventure/roadtrip vehicle for my family.
The thought of being stranded away from home or middle of nowhere on a brand new vehicle due to faulty electronics or battery issues is too high atm. Will roadtrip on our LX570 this summer instead.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
When you go to forums, you will find all kinds of issues with all cars. It is a part of forums. You'll never buy a car if you go off forum problems.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The majority of posters are making their first post about the CEL. Not saying there aren't issue but it makes it seem like everyone here is having a problem.

Still, I'm stress testing mine pretty hard right now. I don't trust any car with less than a couple thousand miles. Shakes out most of the manufacturing issues.
Sponsored