4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
A tad off topic, but I’m really curious if you declare the vehicle a lemon, do you still get to take the tax credit for buying a phev!? If so, lemon away and I’ll buy another and get another credit or get 10k back and go to a diesel or 392!
Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
A tad off topic, but I’m really curious if you declare the vehicle a lemon, do you still get to take the tax credit for buying a phev!? If so, lemon away and I’ll buy another and get another credit or get 10k back and go to a diesel or 392!
I was thinking the same thing 👍👍

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I'd do that too. But wait where would the $10k come from?

giphy.gif

Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
So because it's declared a lemon you would get free month back?
Sorry, that’s not what I meant. Some local electric companies offer a credit for qualified new PHEV purchases. For example Southern California Edison was offering $1000 credit if you bought a PHEV, but it ended in March or something like that. The state of California is offering a $1500 tax credit. Then of course there’s the federal tax credit of $7500. Total would be $10,000 in credits.

Jeep lists the state and local incentives on their 4xe site. Check it out, could save you quite a bit more than you thought!

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler-4xe/incentives/hybrid-incentives.html

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Sorry, that’s not what I meant. Some local electric companies offer a credit for qualified new PHEV purchases. For example Southern California Edison was offering $1000 credit if you bought a PHEV, but it ended in March or something like that. The state of California is offering a $1500 tax credit. Then of course there’s the federal tax credit of $7500. Total would be $10,000 in credits
Oh yeah I know that, I'm getting that $9k too. I was thinking about if it is declared a lemon. I guess they give you your money back full price but then you still keep the rebates? Still would just be the Fed 7,500 cuz the state applies on the sales price

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Oh yeah I know that, I'm getting that $9k too. I was thinking about if it is declared a lemon. I guess they give you your money back full price but then you still keep the rebates? Still would just be the Fed 7,500 cuz the state applies on the sales price
Yeah you get refunded the purchase price, but may have the refund reduced for mileage driven. I’m not sure on being able to keep the credits, but I can’t see how the feds would know the vehicle got lemon lawed so I would think you would still be able to file for the tax credits.

4times

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4xe
Yes, I think so, as long as you can show bill of sale then should get tax credit. If the dealer buys it back as a lemon, then I would think that’s the same as if you sold it or traded it. Should still get the tax credit. I need to ask my CPA because I could be headed there 😭

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Yes, I think so, as long as you can show bill of sale then should get tax credit. If the dealer buys it back as a lemon, then I would think that’s the same as if you sold it or traded it. Should still get the tax credit. I need to ask my CPA because I could be headed there 😭
That may be a good thing... try again and double your tax incentive, frustrating to wait and not have a working vehicle however. I think I’m most scared if I have problems wheelin, those tow bills aren’t reimbursed!

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
If all tax credits apply only to new vehicle sale, in this scenario if you return your vehicle as a lemon, the market value may be minus credits. Hypothetical example: you buy 4xe for $60k, you get $10k tax credit, drive 500 miles and exercise your rights under your state lemon law. If your dealer fixes the lemon issues and sells vehicle on the lot with $500 miles and ‘lemon title’, the 2nd owner does not qualify for the credits as a used car buyer so my guess is the rebate would be marked down as part of the market adjustment when selling back to the dealer. We may actually find out from someone who goes through this.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I was out wheeling with my son on a trail yesterday and the check engine light came on. Switched over to Off Road pages on the infotainment screen and checked the gauges. Everything was in normal range. ??

Drove to the end of the trail with the light on and when se stopped to air back up, I decided to check the fuel cap because I had pumped fuel just before the trip. (Was still on the original tank of fuel from the dealership....)

Removed the cap and reinstalled it twisting it for a few extra clicks and the check engine light went off

Seemed strange to me because I know I turned it until I heard the cap click when I fueled up and the manual says there is a specific icon for the "check fuel cap" message. But, the light went off and I drove 150 miles since then and no more light.

I think I will see what codes might be stored in memory....

????

Jeep ran and drove perfectly. No issues.

Last edited:

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I was out wheeling with my son on a trail yesterday and the check engine light came on. Switched over to Off Road pages on the infotainment screen and checked the gauges. Everything was in normal range. ??

Drove to the end of the train with the light on and when se stopped to air back up, I decided to check the fuel cap because I had pumped fuel just before the trip. (Was still on the original tank of fuel from the dealership....)

Removed the cap and reinstalled it twisting it for a few extra clicks and the check engine light went off

Seemed strange to me because I know I turned it until I heard the cap click when I fueled up and the manual says there is a specific icon for the "check fuel cap" message. But, the light went off and I drove 150 miles since then and no more light.

I think I will see what codes might be stored in memory....

????

Jeep ran and drove perfectly. No issues.
Interesting. I think I remember reading that another 4xe owner said the same thing about their CEL being caused by a “loose” gas cap.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I believe it was Mazda several years ago which had a fuel cap recall/tsb due to not always sealing correctly and pulling codes. The 4Xe is using a new system with the pressurized gas, so this is interesting to know.
Sponsored