Sponsored

4XE Carpool / HOV lane sticker eligible?

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Hello,
I've seen a few posts mention it but I really haven't see anything confirmed.

Is the 4xe eligible for the Carpool / HOV sticker? And if so, when does the eligibility run out (assuming after X sales)?
Sponsored

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
Hello,

Is the 4xe eligible for the Carpool / HOV sticker? And if so, when does the eligibility run out (assuming after X sales)?
From what I know it is state dependent. Here in Cali they still plan on issuing stickers next year. I will be applying for the 2022 sticker.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
From what I know it is state dependent. Here in Cali they still plan on issuing stickers next year. I will be applying for the 2022 sticker.
Thanks. I am in CA too. OK that's good to know.

So dumb question maybe, but why couldn't we get a sticker for the rest of 2021? Is it something that is only given out at the beginning of the year?

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
Thanks. I am in CA too. OK that's good to know.

So dumb question maybe, but why couldn't we get a sticker for the rest of 2021? Is it something that is only given out at the beginning of the year?
No you can apply earlier but I am personally waiting. Want the full 3 years

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
No you can apply earlier but I am personally waiting. Want the full 3 years
Now I know why it was a dumb question as I'm not familiar with the carpool rules. So we can only have it for 3 years max? Any way to extend after 3 years, or that's it, benefit is over?

Sponsored

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
Now I know why it was a dumb question as I'm not familiar with the carpool rules. So we can only have it for 3 years max? Any way to extend after 3 years, or that's it, benefit is over?
Unsure about that but if you meet income level you can apply for it on a used vehicle. Just visited the site again seems like the program ends Sept 30 2025

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
The 4XEs do not qualify for HOV lane access in WA state šŸ˜¢

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I did not see the 4xe listed on the California website but it may very well show up later. Might be good to get one this year as it will be blue and they change colors every year.

I am not super interested in getting the stickers but might just to drive a jeep with oversized tires and a lift in the HOV lane. I do find some humor in that.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
States still have exemptions for electric and hybrid vehicles for HOV lanes? Why? Virginia got rid of those years ago. I have a full electric car, and shortly now a hybrid, and I am totally against exemptions for electric vehicles for carpool. Too many of them, kind of defeats the purpose of promoting carpooling if the lanes are full of single drives in electric and hybrid cars!

Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
States still have exemptions for electric and hybrid vehicles for HOV lanes? Why? Virginia got rid of those years ago. I have a full electric car, and shortly now a hybrid, and I am totally against exemptions for electric vehicles for carpool. Too many of them, kind of defeats the purpose of promoting carpooling if the lanes are full of single drives in electric and hybrid cars!
I 100% agree with you on that one. It is pretty stupid to let us do it here but you just play the game you have. Looks to me that California only lets you keep the stickers for 3 years but still pretty dumb, especially with something like the 4xe.

Looks like California may be phasing them out also .

melissam100

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Hello,

Iā€™m not sure if you already got the answer to this but my 4xe is my third plug-in hybrid in SoCal and everything points to yes. It just takes about 30 days from the first release of the car in CA to make the ā€œlistā€...itā€™s good until Jan 2025 and they are officially expiring in 2026. Blue stickers are available and good if you get the 4xe now until 2025. Only way to get them until sept 2026 is to buy the qualified car after Jan 1 2026. So if you get one this year youā€™re set for awhile. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Iā€™m not sure if you already got the answer to this but my 4xe is my third plug-in hybrid in SoCal and everything points to yes. It just takes about 30 days from the first release of the car in CA to make the ā€œlistā€...itā€™s good until Jan 2025 and they are officially expiring in 2026. Blue stickers are available and good if you get the 4xe now until 2025. Only way to get them until sept 2026 is to buy the qualified car after Jan 1 2026. So if you get one this year youā€™re set for awhile. Hope that helps.
Thanks, that helps. So how long did it take from when you submitted your paperwork to actually get the sticker?
I should be taking delivery of mine this month and if I get a sticker now I get six months of it this year and three more, or I can wait till Jan and then get four full years?

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Arizona allows BEV to use carpool but no longer extends that benefit to PHEV drivers (there was a time when PHEV was allowed though...)

The thinking is that carpool lanes are designed to encourage multiple riders in the same vehicle. Instead of 2 or 3 cars polluting, it would just be one car. With BEV, it is zero pollution for that same commute so that is even less pollution.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where those in California are getting their info from, but the 4XE does not qualify for the CAV Decal program, and will not be issued HOV stickers......It does not meet the minimum 30-mile EPA electric range requirement (implemented April 6, 2021). Don't confuse the California Clean Fuel Reward with the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project.....CCFR dealer applies for and has nothing to do with HOV lanes.

CVRP is administered by CARB (California Air Resources Board) and one of their new requirements is the 30 miles all electric. CA DMV oversees the CAV decal program, and they use CVRP list of eligible vehicles to allow decals to be issued based on that list, as well as other criteria (like income, not going into that here).

Bottom line, current 4XE is not rated 30 miles all electric, will not appear on that eligible vehicle list, and will never be issued an HOV decal by CA DMV.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/faqs/why-donā€™t-i-see-my-vehicle-eligibility-list-0

Hell, they even removed the Tesla S and X from the list, they no longer meet the "less than $60K MSRP" requirement......
Sponsored