Sponsored

4XE Carpool / HOV lane sticker eligible?

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That's great to hear you got thru. I'll try that here in CA and see
Did you end up getting stickers? My 4xe will be here soon and it's not on the list but may apply and see what happens.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Did you end up getting stickers? My 4xe will be here soon and it's not on the list but may apply and see what happens.
You know I was just thinking about that. So I submitted my application and paid the $30 fee back in June but haven't received anything yet, not even a denial letter so don't know what to say.

I imagine there's a sloth from Zootopia that is reading my application and getting confused so he's working slowly on it

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
Arizona allows BEV to use carpool but no longer extends that benefit to PHEV drivers (there was a time when PHEV was allowed though...)

The thinking is that carpool lanes are designed to encourage multiple riders in the same vehicle. Instead of 2 or 3 cars polluting, it would just be one car. With BEV, it is zero pollution for that same commute so that is even less pollution.
Have you tried to apply for an HOV Plate? I saw a 4xe in Scottsdale that has one and when I asked how he got it, he never replied to me...

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WK2 Limited, 21 JLUR 4xe
Update. Just received denial notice from DMV and they returned my check. Saying 4xe is not on the eligible list
Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Carpool / HOV lane sticker eligible? 20210926_154640
When I called the DMV last month they stated the 4xE has a request ticket in the system to add to the list, but that it is denied. Something about it not meeting the minimum EV miles to be considered for the program.

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
It honestly doesn't make any sense why the 4xe does not meet the California CAV (HOV) decals. California vehicle requirements for the decal are under something called TZEV standards. It doesn't make sense why California decided to give the decal to literally every other plug-in hybrid except the 4xe.

California: "Oh Jeep made a plug-in Wrangler hybrid, and is trying to become more fuel-efficient? Nahhh, it's still just a Wrangler. No HOV sticker for you!"

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/current-clean-air-vehicle-decal

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
It's approved for the pass in Utah, I was approved and paid my 10 bucks, waiting for the pass to arrive. I believe it also qualifies for free parking downtown.

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

I don’t understand the reasoning behind this, when there are other vehicles with the exact same range, yet they qualify for the sticker. I also just saw that the GC 4xe was added to the list.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I also just saw that the GC 4xe was added to the list.
GC 4xe is rated for about 15% more electric only range and a bit higher mpge. There's probably some minimum range/efficiency threshold that the wrangler just misses.

Sponsored

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

GC 4xe is rated for about 15% more electric only range and a bit higher mpge. There's probably some minimum range/efficiency threshold that the wrangler just misses.
I thought the same but there are vehicles on the list with either the same range or less.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Texas doesn't like people buying electric, wonder if they will try to nail PHEV's with the $200 "registration adjustment" that is being kicked around right now.

Which is 1000 gallons of gas tax or the average 15k a year driver owning a 15mpg vehicle.

I didn't use that much gas in a year when I daily drove a V8 Mustang...
Yeah... wouldn't be surprised if Texas said no electric in HOV and all ICE can.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I thought the same but there are vehicles on the list with either the same range or less.
It seems to be only cars released since the change in April 2020. So if a car was on the list before then, it gets to stay. The 4xe apparently just missed the cutoff in their test, so if the GC 4xe is 15% more efficient that might put it over the top. I've seen other manufacturers provide small battery bumps between model years. If they could cram an extra kWh or two in there, maybe they could get a sticker for 2023.

MCD1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Sorry to resurrect this forum but thought this info may be helpful. California resident and first time Jeep owner here. I purchased a Wrangler 4xe in June (and loving it) and looked all over to find out whether the 4xe would qualify for the HOV Clean Air Decals, as I was a bit surprised to not see it on their website since the Grand Cherokee 4xe is. Finally, I just decided to email the California Air Resource Board and their response is attached. To my surprise, they responded pretty quickly.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE Carpool / HOV lane sticker eligible? Jeep Wranger 4xe
Sponsored