Sponsored

4xe battery won't charge when the hood is open.

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I was browsing through the 4xe supplemental manual and it says that the battery will not charge when the hood is open.

Not a big deal but I sometimes leave the hood open after I check fluid levels etc.

I am not sure why this exists. Presumably some sort of safety?

I suppose a workaround would be to short the hood safety switch but not a fan of that really.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Whether that is a real safety issue or a lawyer safety issue who knows. I don;t even know if my Chevy Bolt will charge if I open the hood, but really it;s not much of an issue.

What is nice is that you can't drive the car with it plugged in. That has saved me! (Gas station handles purposely break off, but my charger doesn't)

OP
OP
rdmelton

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Whether that is a real safety issue or a lawyer safety issue who knows. I don;t even know if my Chevy Bolt will charge if I open the hood, but really it;s not much of an issue.

What is nice is that you can't drive the car with it plugged in. That has saved me! (Gas station handles purposely break off, but my charger doesn't)
That is a legit and useful safety. Though with the 4xe it will be reasonably hard to miss it since the connector is right by the driver door.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rdmelton

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
How about re- visiting the Edit function and deleting that double negative " won't not ", battery chargers shouldn't be smarter than us.
Who said that?

OP
OP
rdmelton

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
The reference there is for your thread title.
Thanks for clarifying. I re-read the content twice and was very confused. Never thought to read the title.

Sponsored

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
There is a double switch near the front of the hood on the driver’s side that prevents charging when the hood is open. When the hood closes it depresses both switches and then allows charging.

There must be another switch or sensor for the front fenders. I took them off to do some work and the Jeep won’t charge (hood is closed and latched). I can’t see anything that’d prevent charging in relation to only a fender being off.

Anyone know where it is?

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Follow-up on this: I got everything back together however I still cannot charge. Fenders are on, hood is closed and latched, even reset the 50 amp breaker. Display still reads "Unable to charge while hood is open...".

So far I can't figure it out. Anyone have an idea?

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
How long does it take you to check your fluids?

apensity

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Sport
Follow-up on this: I got everything back together however I still cannot charge. Fenders are on, hood is closed and latched, even reset the 50 amp breaker. Display still reads "Unable to charge while hood is open...".

So far I can't figure it out. Anyone have an idea?
Did you ever figure this out? Happened to me right now, same issue.

wrang_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4XE
Yeah this is a federal requirement.
Sponsored