4xe battery won't charge when the hood is open.

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU, 4xe on order
I was browsing through the 4xe supplemental manual and it says that the battery will not charge when the hood is open.

Not a big deal but I sometimes leave the hood open after I check fluid levels etc.

I am not sure why this exists. Presumably some sort of safety?

I suppose a workaround would be to short the hood safety switch but not a fan of that really.

Advertisement

Last edited:

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Whether that is a real safety issue or a lawyer safety issue who knows. I don;t even know if my Chevy Bolt will charge if I open the hood, but really it;s not much of an issue.

What is nice is that you can't drive the car with it plugged in. That has saved me! (Gas station handles purposely break off, but my charger doesn't)

OP
OP
rdmelton

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU, 4xe on order
Whether that is a real safety issue or a lawyer safety issue who knows. I don;t even know if my Chevy Bolt will charge if I open the hood, but really it;s not much of an issue.

What is nice is that you can't drive the car with it plugged in. That has saved me! (Gas station handles purposely break off, but my charger doesn't)
That is a legit and useful safety. Though with the 4xe it will be reasonably hard to miss it since the connector is right by the driver door.

OP
OP
rdmelton

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU, 4xe on order
How about re- visiting the Edit function and deleting that double negative " won't not ", battery chargers shouldn't be smarter than us.
Who said that?

OP
OP
rdmelton

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU, 4xe on order
The reference there is for your thread title.
Thanks for clarifying. I re-read the content twice and was very confused. Never thought to read the title.

Advertisement

Clayton Offroad

Advertisement