Sponsored

4xe Article: Top 10 reasons why you shouldn’t buy a Jeep Wrangler 4xe?

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I've seen people complaining that their JL doesn't drive "like the BMW 5 series" they traded in for it. I always shake my head..... thinking did you spend any time in a Wrangler?
Yes, this article is meant for THOSE people! lol
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by the grammar, I'm not even sure he had a keyboard. Might have been swipe-typing.
Yeah I was about to comment on the lack of proofreading.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Well… I’ve owned every single configuration and motor they’ve had in the past few years, except the 2.0 on it’s own and can’t really claim the 392 quite yet, but the 4XE is hands down the best bang for the Buck IMO. Most say “21 miles won’t take you far” and blah blah blah. But when I just got back from a 4 day Cabin stay and the daily range needed was only about 10-20 miles and I’m plugging in using my cabin power, I saw the benefit cashing in daily. The regen in the hills is wonderful. My range has been closer to 30 every charge where I live. My daily errands at home, even if I go into town twice is under 30 miles… I just don’t see the problem, therefore the 4XE made sense for me as a little side vehicle to lease cheap. Doesn’t make sense for some I guess, but for about $300-350 monthly, I wouldn’t bitch if I were you

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I managed to be purchasing a Rubicon 4xe at MSRP in California. Most of the things listed in the article do not affect me. However, the 4xe is going to become my daily driver, and it is the steering feel of a live axle that is making me second guess my purchasing decision (coming from a daily driver of a Subaru Outback). What I am also afraid of is getting a lemon and having to pay for a rental. But what can you do about that? Times are still rough right now.
I have owned many BMWs and own one now. Yes the Wrangler is not like a BMW, but I is not bad, mine does not wander, and seems pretty normal. If i were you I wouldn't worry too much.
I assume the sales volume on the 4xe is triggering these guys to develop some click bait to profit off of it.

Minimal noise difference on trail when the ICE kicks in, yeah right. Sure, the AC is loud, but there's a nice little button that turns that off. With the AC off the thing is damn near silent off road.

Direct comparison to a Prius and a Tesla for MPGe, come on.

Sure it's not the best option for long road trips, but it just means more stops at the pump. But the "biggest downside" is that it may randomly fail off road, give me a break (and that get's two numbers).

And he ends it with " Before placing an order bear in mind that any 4xe Wrangler journey should start with reserving at least $5.000-$10,000 for rental car. "

Now I realize he must be a Jeep/Off Road Expert. His past articles include "Where to buy Lindt Lindor chocolate truffles?" and "How to save $65/mo. on grocery bill?" Maybe Botond should have bought a used Prius instead of a $60k+ Off Road Vehicle if he can't afford to eat.
Hilarious....lol

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I agree with most things in this article. All those regulars on these JL forums are not the intended audience of this article. This article was meant for the general public who have no clue what the Wrangler is and how different it is from your normal FWD unibody crossover. So if your typical uninformed car buyer sees the removable roof and doors and they like the shape of the car, they just take it for a ride around the dealership block, and they are just impressed with the idea of it and how cool they would look in it. The dealer happens to push the 4xe because that is what Jeep wants the salespeople to do. This is the future so they want people to buy this. So they tell Joe/Jane Shmoe about the improved mileage and the hybrid power plant and the instant torque and they get them to feel it. everyone is happy and they drop $60K OTD on a 4Xe and do not even know if they qualify for the full $7500 tax credit or not. But after a few weeks of daily commute and the loud ride (vs. the aforementioned FWD crossover) and the wondering steering wheel and how sloppy it is on center and they start to have second thoughts. Add to that they get hit with the inconsistent FCA quality with little shit going bad, they then start to really have buyers remorse. Very few car buyers are financially savvy. Most are impulse buyers and they buy more than what they can afford. They stretch their budgets and end up with ungodly payments. So if things go wrong with this new hybrid technology and parts are on backorder, the Jeep will sit at the dealership for weeks and weeks. What would the average buyer do then if they don't have alternate means of transportation? Paying $40/day for a rental can add up quickly and that is on top of the car payment you have for the car sitting at the dealership! Those are real concerns not to be dismissed by looking at the author's history of what articles they wrote or whether they are Jeep people or not. As I said, he is talking to non Jeep people.
Fair points, HOWEVER, how can anyone trust the point of view of an article that is written so poorly. I'm Australian (which means English is a second language) and that article made me cringe. If the writer can't take the time to proof read the article then I can't take the time to read it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I saw the author's name and gave the linked "article" a hard pass. He started a thread on the forum recently that was another clumsy attempt at click-seeking. (That's not directed at you, Eric.)

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Geez, what a whiny bitch. We get it, you had (are having) a bad experience. Quit writing "articles" about it.
Don’t drive a diesel, all that section is filled with is people dumping on the diesel.

I always remember that it’s the internet. For every one person crying about some perceived slight, there is 200x having a great experience.

Enjoy your Jeep!

Thebart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4Xe Rubicon
Got our 4Xe last April and absolutely love it. I have found that when we are driving it around town the 25 electric miles is more than enough for running errands and short commutes. It averages better than 50 MPG, when on longer drives of say 200 miles we are averaging 33 MPG driving in mountainous terrain. The ride is comfortable, it’s not tight like my Subaru STi or our Porsche Macan. But for mountain and off roading it a blast.

We have a 30 Amp charger and the 110V charger that came with it. Because we have 9.5Kwt solar system our charging is virtually free. Our gasoline purchases are at least 50% less having the hybrid Jeep.

We tow the 4Xe behind our motor coach and it makes for a great toad. Seems that Jeep is the preferred tow vehicle.

Add the $7500 federal tax credit and $2500 state tax credit, makes this 60k car a 50k car, factor on fuel savings for the year and it is a no brainer choice.
Sponsored