Sponsored

4xe and Anti-Spin Rear Differential

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Yet another question about this -- but I think this time it's a little unique? I have searched and searched and read all the forum posts, so if it's answered somewhere, please let me know.

Most of the posts I found here and elsewhere encourage getting the Anti-Spin Rear Differential just to get the upgraded axle... but the 4xe (both Sahara/High Altitude and the Rubicon) come with the Dana 44 by default, at least according to the spec sheet from FCA. So does it make sense to get it anyway?

For reference, I'm in North Carolina, in the piedmont. This will be my daily driver. It rarely snows here, and when it does it rarely sticks around for more than a day or two, but we do have ice. And rain, lots and lots of rain, sometimes endless rain. My primary off-road use is on the beach, and maybe some light/easy trails (which frequently means mud and such here -- see the comment about rain).

Thoughts?
Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
I'd get the limited slip (anti-spin)

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Yet another question about this -- but I think this time it's a little unique? I have searched and searched and read all the forum posts, so if it's answered somewhere, please let me know.

Most of the posts I found here and elsewhere encourage getting the Anti-Spin Rear Differential just to get the upgraded axle... but the 4xe (both Sahara/High Altitude and the Rubicon) come with the Dana 44 by default, at least according to the spec sheet from FCA. So does it make sense to get it anyway?

For reference, I'm in North Carolina, in the piedmont. This will be my daily driver. It rarely snows here, and when it does it rarely sticks around for more than a day or two, but we do have ice. And rain, lots and lots of rain, sometimes endless rain. My primary off-road use is on the beach, and maybe some light/easy trails (which frequently means mud and such here -- see the comment about rain).

Thoughts?
I am totally new to Jeep so my knowledge is very very limited......(disclaimer) :)
As far as I know, most or all Wranglers have the D44 axle in the rear so it's the front axle that varies between models. The Rubicon is known to have D44 up front but I think you are correct in that the 4xe also has D44 up front.

The Limited Slip differential option is only for the rear axle so I think we are talking about D44 by default so I think the 'upgrade' is just the limited slip carrier.

To answer your question.....If you are driving on sand the limited slip axle is a good choice.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I would get the anti-spin differential, it is only $595. On my test drive of a V6, the rear tire spun while accelerating on a cold but dry day. I didn't even floor it. Between the additional torque of the 4Xe, beach driving, light off-roading and rain, I think you will get some value out of it.

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner

Thoughts?
I am bias since I got it for my 4xe. The main reason was for snow and wet conditions. I live in NY and often travel to VT and NH in the winter. Cost is rather low so it was easy decision for me. Good luck!

Sponsored

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
It makes a noticeable difference (in a good way) in slick conditions especially in 2wd. It won't lock up when a back tire is in the air but it does a pretty good job of increasing traction when both wheels are on the ground.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It seemed to be awesome in my Willys, but I would say to do your research on the LSD issues. If youā€™re going Rubicon, itā€™s a non-factor, but there was enough people with reported issues on the LSD D44 that made me nervous about it.

Didnā€™t help that with the 34ā€™s I had on my Willys, I was already getting the dreaded ā€˜clunkā€™.

Also, a general reminder to keep in the back of your brain that people with issues are more likely to speak up than those without. Thereā€™s a chance if I kept my Willys and never read this forum, I wouldnā€™t have knownā€¦but here we are. Ignorance is bliss and these forums can make you paranoid about anything šŸ˜‚.

OP
OP

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks, y'all. I decided to go ahead and add it. I think that means my Sahara 4xe will be fully loaded (except the smoker package)! Ordering today.

It seemed to be awesome in my Willys, but I would say to do your research on the LSD issues. If youā€™re going Rubicon, itā€™s a non-factor, but there was enough people with reported issues on the LSD D44 that made me nervous about it.

Didnā€™t help that with the 34ā€™s I had on my Willys, I was already getting the dreaded ā€˜clunkā€™.

Also, a general reminder to keep in the back of your brain that people with issues are more likely to speak up than those without. Thereā€™s a chance if I kept my Willys and never read this forum, I wouldnā€™t have knownā€¦but here we are. Ignorance is bliss and these forums can make you paranoid about anything šŸ˜‚.
Yeah, if I was prone to that I'd not get a 4xe -- the number of people with CEL issues here would scare me right off. (Really, I think most of them are loose gas caps, honestly; my current HEV has issues with that sometimes.)

I also really don't drive all that much (hence why a 4xe is perfect for me). My current car had just under 32000mi on its fourth birthday a month ago... so something that fails after 50K+mi is years away for me and probably the next owner's problem.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks, y'all. I decided to go ahead and add it. I think that means my Sahara 4xe will be fully loaded (except the smoker package)! Ordering today.

Yeah, if I was prone to that I'd not get a 4xe -- the number of people with CEL issues here would scare me right off. (Really, I think most of them are loose gas caps, honestly; my current HEV has issues with that sometimes.)

I also really don't drive all that much (hence why a 4xe is perfect for me). My current car had just under 32000mi on its fourth birthday a month ago... so something that fails after 50K+mi is years away for me and probably the next owner's problem.
FYI, there is a thread with concerns on the Gorilla Glass option delaying orders. May want to skip that one if your in a hurry. Looks like all of us are still in D status that included the option.

OP
OP

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
FYI, there is a thread with concerns on the Gorilla Glass option delaying orders. May want to skip that one if your in a hurry. Looks like all of us are still in D status that included the option.
I've been watching that thread for sure. Still going to add it; as long as I get my Jeep before my mid-September beach vacation I'll be fine! Maybe they'll prioritize 4xes. šŸ˜‚
Sponsored