Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys see this new e-Beam “electrified axle” Magna International is developing? This seems like the future of the electric solid axle truck. Looks quite impressive.

I can see Jeep going this route to electrify Wranglers
Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My dad's Tesla is now 6 years old with 110k miles on it. The battery is still has 94% life and it costs him $7 to charge. And not that it matters, but he's a conservative accountant (and his brothers and father are/were engineers) but he ran the numbers on all the costs before buying it. There's a quarter of the moving parts of an ICE vehicle, with the regenerative breaking, he's still on the factory breaks. Livery companies are replacing the batteries at 300/400k miles. He's taken it on road trips half way across the country. The only time he can't use it is when we go up to the upper peninsula... so they take my mom's Cayenne Hybrid. He doesn't buy hybrids and EVs to save the earth... he ran the numbers.

wfesta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude 4XE, 2022 Rubicon 4XE
4XE works perfect for me. My Wrangler is my daily and my round trip for work fits perfect. Added bonus of free juice at work. I go for weeks without seeing the gas station and when I need longer trips I am not limited by the electric range. Not for everyone but works for me.

OP
OP
CJ SCION

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Also, yeah, this guys a real ass for driving like that as has been mentioned before, I generally drive the speed limit with all the local enforcement here and often a couple miles under - but if you want to pass me I'm all for it and will even move over in my lane so you have an easier time
Pinky's opinion quoted above is based on what? Below is my original posting concerning the subject.

What a surprise to actually drive the 4xe. I cruise the highway at trucker speed limits (10 mph lower here) and get a hoot from punching it when another Wrangler is about to overtake me in the passing lane. Always brings a grin out of me and them too.
So, my words are exactly what they are. If someone else reads them and then infers something different, that is on them. I drive the legal speed limit, on the highway here it is 75/65. This isn't LA or Chicago, it is rural Michigan where traffic is mostly an eighth of a mile ahead or behind. The mentioned scenario is a gesture (in jest) with a fellow jeeper. 4xe Wranglers are not abundant in this area. Image the surprise to the Wrangler zipping along at 80-85 mph and the unmolested Sahara pulls away. Yes, the battery/2.0 turbo combo can do that.

Maybe the ass or asses are the ones who jump to negative conclusions.

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
4XE works perfect for me. My Wrangler is my daily and my round trip for work fits perfect. Added bonus of free juice at work. I go for weeks without seeing the gas station and when I need longer trips I am not limited by the electric range. Not for everyone but works for me.
I would be in the same boat - could charge at home and at work with a 10 mile commute. So I would get half my charging free at work which makes the economics even better.

My buddy is trading his Rubicon for a 4Xe. He has same situation as well as having Solar Roof/Tesla Powerwall at home.

Not to mention the fact that some 4Xe owners just like the improved performance with similar efficiency at a small cost premium.

So yeah I guess it depends. But it definitely makes sense for some owners.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Pinky's opinion quoted above is based on what? Below is my original posting concerning the subject.

So, my words are exactly what they are. If someone else reads them and then infers something different, that is on them. I drive the legal speed limit, on the highway here it is 75/65. This isn't LA or Chicago, it is rural Michigan where traffic is mostly an eighth of a mile ahead or behind. The mentioned scenario is a gesture (in jest) with a fellow jeeper. 4xe Wranglers are not abundant in this area. Image the surprise to the Wrangler zipping along at 80-85 mph and the unmolested Sahara pulls away. Yes, the battery/2.0 turbo combo can do that.

Maybe the ass or asses are the ones who jump to negative conclusions.
Hmmm...it is uncool to not allow another vehicle to pass that shows a clear intent in passing. No matter how you justify it to yourself, or how amusing you think it is.

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
Jay also assumes that we're charging one time per tank of gas. In warm weather, I can go to work and back every day on a single charge. Back home, plug it in, a few hours later I can run a few errands or go to dinner with the wife on all electric again. A tank of gas can last me months. Now, winter is a little bit different because of the reduced range, but I'm still far ahead of the game.
I only fill up my tank about every 6 weeks or so, even then sometimes its still half full.

wfesta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude 4XE, 2022 Rubicon 4XE
I would be in the same boat - could charge at home and at work with a 10 mile commute. So I would get half my charging free at work which makes the economics even better.

My buddy is trading his Rubicon for a 4Xe. He has same situation as well as having Solar Roof/Tesla Powerwall at home.

Not to mention the fact that some 4Xe owners just like the improved performance with similar efficiency at a small cost premium.

So yeah I guess it depends. But it definitely makes sense for some owners.
I have a High Altitude 4XE and Just got word my Rubicon 4XE is complete and waiting for a train ride. : )

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’m in a very similar situation and haven’t been hit by any issues in the 11k miles I’ve put on mine.

blkout50

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I was just watching a trail recon youtube video, he is having all sorts of dash light problems on his last trip and mileage poorer than expected.
He also had problems with his Jeep that was diesel powered.

Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I've had my 4xe for a year as of 4/3. ZERO issues so far and I get 27 miles on electric (24 in the winter) For once in my life I seemed to have timed something correctly! So thankful for my 4xe purchase for more reasons that just the rising gas prices. Just love it!!! Its super fun to punch it and have it take off like a bat outta hell. I'm at 6600 miles so not that many miles yet, but so far no issues.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Excuse me but I really don't understand all the hype over the 4XE.

How many miles of electric driving does the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe do?
The 21 miles of electric driving fall under initial estimates of 25 miles. The EPA got its hands on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid, and its final figures reveal the off-road SUV will do 21 miles of pure electric driving with a fully charged battery.

That really does not get you very far. Even the New total electric autos that say you can go 300 miles is not something you would want to travel across country with. Having to stop to recharge if you can find charge station.

When I worked, I would travel 30 miles round trip. No charging station. I guess over long run those 21 miles would save few bucks. Still have to have gas to get very far.

For awhile my brother was living in Chicago and working in the suburbs. He was driving an M45 and spending $400 a month on gas... so he leased a Chevy Volt which cost less than the monthly gas bill. The electric only range was just enough that he could get to work and home without using any gas. At one point he went about a year on one tank of gas. It might not work for everybody, but that's not a reason not to build it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Back to the original assertion: is the 4xe that cheaper to run than a comparable ICE? It seems like a very complex "it depends" and it seems any gain will take time to be realized, which means one has to keep the vehicle long-term, which many--especially Wrangler-owners--don't seem to do. (However, I would assume that anyone interested in frugality would keep vehicles long-term)

CA? One could move out of CA, buy a 392, and still have a cheaper cost of living (and health, if we're talking SoCal). ;)
For many of us who live in liberal states, the 4xe is cheaper to run from day one. The $10k in rebates makes the 4xe cheaper than a similarly equipped 2.0t by $1k out the door. Any fuel savings/cost savings realized from the high gas prices vs electric rates just extends that number. Factor in that resale values are directly related to msrp, the $9k extra msrp will always result in the 4xe being worth more from mile 1 to mile 100k and beyond. The long term owner will only end up with even more savings over the life of the vehicle.
As far as cost of living outside CA, that depends on your profession. As an IBEW electrician, I make ~$100k more than I would in North Carolina and put ~5x as much in my pension from employer contributions. Factor in the fact I bought my home 18 years ago insulating me from high home prices and property taxes and the fact that I have a company vehicle with gas card keeping those costs down, and I absolutely could not reduce my cost of living by relocating. I've looked into it more than most, and retirement will definitely see us leave this state more for freedom/ political reasons than anything else.

blkout50

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
<snip>Gasoline can't sit for months; you'll need to add a fuel stabilizer and even then, check what the limits are.
Additionally, ICE can't sit unused for a long period of time either; they need to be run at operating temperature regularly. <snip>
The fuel tank is pressurize to help keep the fuel fresh. I’m actually surprised that the Jeep engineers thought about it. The Jeep engineers also programmed the ICE to run at regular intervals.

It is also a new platform so there will some bugs to be worked out. The majority of 4xe owner are extremely happy with their choice. A few others, not so much.

Last edited:

PLJLUR2021

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, Billet Silver, tow, safety options
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer (ret)
In my part of San Diego our electricity costs 36.5¢ per kWh which results in a 4xe 'per mile' cost of 26.5¢. Gasoline is right around $5.45/gal. and diesel is $5.30/gal. My Eco-diesel presently costs 24¢/mile to run, so I was surprised to find it costs less to run than an electric!
Sponsored