Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If you do the same test at full charge it should be much slower because all the additional electrons in the battery are heavy and weigh it down
I'm sure mine will be faster with my wife behind the wheel instead of my fat ass.
Sponsored

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Great video. Would 2wd not be faster or would the electric motor just spin the wheels?

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Motors need power to run. Power is the input voltage multiplied by the current drawn. Without a good voltage regulator, the current will increase with a drop in voltage creating excessive heat. Assuming the FCA and ZF engineers want to keep their jobs by not cooking the motors, they put a solid voltage regulator in this system. When the battery capacity drops, the voltage is still constant. That's the reason for the reserve: to ensure enough battery power to supply the correct voltage. Thank you for attending my TED talk.
There's actually a more important reason for keeping the reserve. If you discharge a Lithium battery too far, it cannot be recovered again and you get to replace your battery. All Li battery operated devices/machines have a BMS (battery management system) to ensure they cannot be discharged too much.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
There's actually a more important reason for keeping the reserve. If you discharge a Lithium battery too far, it cannot be recovered again and you get to replace your battery. All Li battery operated devices/machines have a BMS (battery management system) to ensure they cannot be discharged too much.
That's important too, obviously, but not more important. You don't need a battery if the motor is burned up. 😁

Sponsored

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
These were done with the battery at less than 1%. I was in 4WD high. I'm happy to report that 0-60 in 6 seconds is completely feasible even with the battery discharged. I was hitting eSave+charge between attempts just to put a touch in but I was at that less than 1% state on all runs.
Click here:
As fast as a 2003 Porsche Boxster!

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
Yes, there was. I see a lot of misinformation and general ignorance about this platform. it's getting old.

Were you in 4WD auto or 4WD hi for your runs, and did you notice any wheel spin?
I was in the 4W auto not the 4WD since I was on pavement. I was losing traction in 2WD. It wasn't bad but it was enough to make it frustrating. It was cool out and I wasn't on the best pavement. I could have power breaked just a tad harder but I wasn't trying to abuse the Jeep too bad.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
does the ICE activation trigger point in hybrid mode change at all based on the amount of battery charge? The video shows tremendous power at launch and I was just wondering if it still does the same at 100% charge levels. I would think it would be the same, but I wasn’t sure with electronic controls and ability to tune for lower emissions if you had reserve battery.
I don't believe it would be much different at full charge because even when it's depleted and shows "<1%" on the dash, it still has about 15% state of charge. That's used for hybrid driving so the power is always there. The vehicle works to keep that charge around 15%.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, there was. I see a lot of misinformation and general ignorance about this platform. it's getting old.

Were you in 4WD auto or 4WD hi for your runs, and did you notice any wheel spin?
I have heard so many poor explanations given by people that should be the people that can be counted on for good information. I've seen videos made by dealers saying the 4XE will get 49MPG and all sorts of crazy stuff. I want to yell at the screen and ask them how a 5000 pound machine could possibly perform as well as a Prius. Even MotorTrend has gotten it wrong.

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
Thanks for the video! Really want to see someone post something similar for the 392, and see if it does really hit the stated 4.5sec

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I don't believe it would be much different at full charge because even when it's depleted and shows "<1%" on the dash, it still has about 15% state of charge. That's used for hybrid driving so the power is always there. The vehicle works to keep that charge around 15%.
I may be wrong but I got the impression he was asking if you might actually get a slower 0-60 time at 100% because the hybrid control system, knowing that it has plenty of energy on reserve, might actually wait longer to engage the ICE for the sake of efficiency.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
For anyone feeling offended by Teraflex, the Teraflex video was in jest. Anyone that has watched Teraflex videos knows a lot of their video content is it tongue-in-check. Enjoy them for what they are, some entertainment, some serious product review. Clearly this video was tongue-in-check entertainment.

coolboost

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I've confirmed with my wife's 4hr old 4xe, in 2wd, 97% battery set in hybrid mode, new 35" BFGs and break boosting for about 1 sec the ICE will kick on release the brake it will spin the 35's enough to engage the traction control then get to 60 is about 6.6 seconds. So it builds enough torque to turn over 35s from a standstill at least if the ICE is running. I will do another test tomorrow in 4wd but my wife's patience was running thin with my "testing for the internet masses" in her new jeep
All that said 30-60 felt stronger than 0-30

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
So - when I go and test drive one, what buttons do I need to have pressed to feel max acceleration?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Hybrid which is the default
Sponsored