Sponsored

4xe’s 2.0L engine different from 2.0L gas JL’s engine?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Is the 4xe engine different from the JLs? I would assume it has to be. From the Jeep website build tool

4xe uses 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo PHEV Engine
JLUR uses 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine with Start/Stop

Can't find much info on the PHEV engine. Is it the same 2.0L turbo I4? with some modifications?
Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
It's the same engine, it just has added/modified systems around it (added electric motor, modified transmission resulting in modified prop shafts, charger unit and power inverter, etc). Check the images below.

The JLUR (non-4xe) 2.0 is also a hybrid (of the mild variety) so it's also being assisted by an electric motor generator, the difference is it's not capable of powering the wheels by itself, it's only enabling the start/stop and providing some assistance in moments of high demand. That means the system can be much simpler (as shown below).

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe’s 2.0L engine different from 2.0L gas JL’s engine? 1613276565410

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe’s 2.0L engine different from 2.0L gas JL’s engine? 1613276752119

Mild Hybrid:

1.) Electric Motor Generator Unit (MGU)
2.) High voltage cables
3.) Power Pack Unit (PPU)

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe’s 2.0L engine different from 2.0L gas JL’s engine? 1613277038244

https://paultan.org/2020/09/04/2021...wertrain-components-highlighted-components-2/

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
The mild hybrid refers to the etorque version of the 2.0L. There is also the normal ESS version that does not have the MGU.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It's the same engine, it just has added/modified systems around it (added electric motor, modified transmission resulting in modified prop shafts, charger unit and power inverter, etc). Check the images below.

The JLUR (non-4xe) 2.0 is also a hybrid (of the mild variety) so it's also being assisted by an electric motor generator, the difference is it's not capable of powering the wheels by itself, it's only enabling the start/stop and providing some assistance in moments of high demand. That means the system can be much simpler (as shown below).

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe’s 2.0L engine different from 2.0L gas JL’s engine? 1613277038244

Mild Hybrid:

1.) Electric Motor Generator Unit (MGU)
2.) High voltage cables
3.) Power Pack Unit (PPU)

https://paultan.org/2020/09/04/2021...wertrain-components-highlighted-components-2/
Thank you, excellent article. It does make me wonder on a couple things. The article stated:

All high-voltage electronics are sealed and waterproof in the Wrangler 4xe, enabling it to match the water fording capabilities of its internal combustion siblings with a rating of 76 cm.
How is the waterproofing done? How long is it expected to last and under what conditions? I was told by dealership techs that just about every electrical connection under the hood is "waterproofed" to where you can spray the engine bay down. Well, everything wears out eventually, especially with mud/dirt/sand getting into seams and hard to clean out places. And people have been having headaches with electrical aspects enough that it should be a consideration when buying non-hybrid Jeeps. If a waterproofing wrap/seal on the regular Jeeps fails, it isnt as big a deal to fix. If it fails on a component like say the battery or electric motors, that would be an even more expensive repair. What thinks the community?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Well, considering we have ordered and many of us have built jeeps sitting in storage at the factory, I'd say we are not concerned or are willing to take the chance.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@PyrPatriot,

The acronym 'PHEV' simply stands for "Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle". The primary difference between it and a standard hybrid is that it can have it's main battery charged remotely via a 'Plug-in outlet' rather than just from its on-board internal combustion (ICE) power plant.

It should be exactly the same 2.0L straight four cylinder (I4), dual overhead cam (DOHV), turbine air assist (turbo) powerplant with likely only modified calibration (tune) software, more tailored to supporting the electric motor rather than just driving the transmission directly.

The 4xe works more now like a modern train locomotive. Not exactly but very close. The locomotive's ICE engine (a big diesel) runs a generator (rather than simply charging a battery) that then provides electrical current to power it's many electric motors directly on the trucks (axle and wheel assemblies).

The 4xe still does not have individual electrical motors on each wheel or axle, but it now has an electrical motor integrated with the transmission. So the 4xe ICE powerplant can be used traditionally when there is insufficient battery energy, to assist the battery and electric motor on peak demand or to just charge the main battery as needed.

Furthermore with the plug-in, making it a PHEV, it is also now possible to supply enough electrical charge (from the grid) to not need the ICE powerplant at all.

Hope this helps.

Jay

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
@PyrPatriot,

The acronym 'PHEV' simply stands for "Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle". The primary difference between it and a standard hybrid is that it can have it's main battery charged remotely via a 'Plug-in outlet' rather than just from its on-board internal combustion (ICE) power plant.

It should be exactly the same 2.0L straight four cylinder (I4), dual overhead cam (DOHV), turbine air assist (turbo) powerplant with likely only modified calibration (tune) software, more tailored to supporting the electric motor rather than just driving the transmission directly.

The 4xe works more now like a modern train locomotive. Not exactly but very close. The locomotive's ICE engine (a big diesel) runs a generator (rather than simply charging a battery) that then provides electrical current to power it's many electric motors directly on the trucks (axle and wheel assemblies).

The 4xe still does not have individual electrical motors on each wheel or axle, but it now has an electrical motor integrated with the transmission. So the 4xe ICE powerplant can be used traditionally when there is insufficient battery energy, to assist the battery and electric motor on peak demand or to just charge the main battery as needed.

Furthermore with the plug-in, making it a PHEV, it is also now possible to supply enough electrical charge (from the grid) to not need the ICE powerplant at all.

Hope this helps.

Jay
It does. I have but two more questions then (in addition to waterproofing efforts taken)

Does the 4xe have one or two electric motors? Reading 2, only seeing one.
How reliable is the base engine? I am looking into this now

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does. I have but two more questions then (in addition to waterproofing efforts taken)

Does the 4xe have one or two electric motors? Reading 2, only seeing one.
How reliable is the base engine? I am looking into this now
@PyrPatriot,

The 4xe has two electric motors. The first is the belt driven electric motor on the front of the 2.0L engine. This is essentially the same as the current mild hybrid. It provides start movement assist at low speeds.

The second is the new motor marked as 'P2' in the diagram from @Bren's first diagram from his post #2 above. It is this motor that provides propulsion in all electric only or hybrid modes.

As far as water-proofing, Jeep has published a water-fording spec for the 4xe of 30 inches. So they will have to take whatever steps necessary to protect the electrical circuitry to make that happen.

https://www.motor1.com/news/442213/2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid/

Jay

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, excellent article. It does make me wonder on a couple things. The article stated:

How is the waterproofing done? How long is it expected to last and under what conditions? I was told by dealership techs that just about every electrical connection under the hood is "waterproofed" to where you can spray the engine bay down. Well, everything wears out eventually, especially with mud/dirt/sand getting into seams and hard to clean out places. And people have been having headaches with electrical aspects enough that it should be a consideration when buying non-hybrid Jeeps. If a waterproofing wrap/seal on the regular Jeeps fails, it isnt as big a deal to fix. If it fails on a component like say the battery or electric motors, that would be an even more expensive repair. What thinks the community?
Re: Waterproofing, the batteries are sealed in a case and then placed, essentially, inside the passenger compartment. They're under the rear seat and above the rear floor.

This video shows it (timestamped at 44 seconds where they're placing the battery module in the back):

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Re: Waterproofing, the batteries are sealed in a case and then placed, essentially, inside the passenger compartment. They're under the rear seat and above the rear floor.

This video shows it (timestamped at 44 seconds where they're placing the battery module in the back):

And the connections to the driveline? The electric motors?

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, refer to this diagram. It's the component marked 'P2'.

For the 4xe only the two marked P1F (mild hybrid) and P2 (main electric motor). All the others are concept and not applied to the 4xe offering (yet).

1613276565410.png

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the connections to the driveline? The electric motors?
I wouldn't be concerned. The belt-driven electric motor is mounted high and the one integrated with the transmission is sealed off. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about these components any more than you already worry about a regular 12V battery or alternator. Jeep will have taken the proper precautions to seal them off understanding their user base.

For EV water fording ability, look no further than a few brave Teslas, who have already proven how capable an electric can be in deep water (not that you'll find me driving my Model 3 through anything that deep). Tesla even brags their their cars partially float...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a33545381/can-tesla-model-3-float/

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I wouldn't be concerned. The belt-driven electric motor is mounted high and the one integrated with the transmission is sealed off. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about these components any more than you already worry about a regular 12V battery or alternator. Jeep will have taken the proper precautions to seal them off understanding their user base.

For EV water fording ability, look no further than a few brave Teslas, who have already proven how capable an electric can be in deep water (not that you'll find me driving my Model 3 through anything that deep). Tesla even brags their their cars partially float...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a33545381/can-tesla-model-3-float/
That's what first came to mind. And then I remembered most folks dont offroad teslas so they dont get exposed to mud and grit. Mud, according to many here, gets into seals and and such. Which is where my concerns are. But, it the components are high up or integrated to the transmission then I should have nothing to worry about

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I feel better having read this.

https://moparinsiders.com/jeep-to-offer-electrified-gladiator-4xe-pickup-in-near-future/
All high-voltage electronics, including the wiring between the battery pack and the electric motors, are sealed and waterproof. This allows the new Wrangler Unlimited 4xe to keep its “Trail Rated” capabilities and be capable of water fording up to 30 inches. We expect the Gladiator 4xe would have a similar rating.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
The mild hybrid refers to the etorque version of the 2.0L. There is also the normal ESS version that does not have the MGU.
Our 2020 has no eTorque.
Sponsored