Sponsored

4xe’s 2.0L engine different from 2.0L gas JL’s engine?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
quick clarification

18 - 20 ish (the change was made some time in 20, but do not know when exactly)
2.0L with E-Torque - this was the Mild Hybrid that had a 48V battery under the jeep

20 +
2.0L with Start/Stop - This is NOT a mild hybrid it does not have the E-torque system.
4xe - This actually uses the same 2.0L E-torque version of the motor from earlier. (although it removes the 48V battery from under the Jeep, adds a 400V battery under the rear seats, and replaces the torque converter with an electric motor.

my Speculation:
I am thinking / guessing they removed the 2.0L E-Torque as an option so that there is no confusion / shady sales people buying NON-4xE 2.0L jeeps and thinking or being convinced that they are hybrids, so they are all the same.
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The 4xe improves on the e-torque in every respect. I think there wouldn't be as much of a market for it.

I could see e-torque also being a default combustion option but many buyers just want a simpler power train. But one could also argue it's a wash between starters and alternators. Jeep also did stumble on the e-torque battery.

Having a traditional ESS setup with a starter motor these days just feels so crude.