Sponsored

4x4 to 4x2 transition reminder?

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee
I’m having a blast with my new 2022 JLU.

I do have a silly question.

If I forget to return to two wheel drive after leaving the trail, is there any pop-up warnings “Hey dummy, you’re going 60mph on dry asphalt and you’re still in four wheel drive”.

The software developer in me says use rear camera and machine vision to identify road surface. If dry asphalt or concrete, 4x4 is probably not the correct selection at speed.

I don’t have enough experience with this vehicle. If driving in 4x4 on dry asphalt would you feel it in noise / vehicle vibration/ steering wheel feel immediately?
Sponsored

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
Nope. Make it part of your routine. Pull up to the end of the trail, pop it in 2WD, hop out to air up.

You might feel it at speed as you're taking corners. There might be sluggish steering, or maybe some chirping. You'll definitely notice the gas mileage.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
If you’re attuned to it, you’ll feel the additional driveline bind in 4x4, especially in close quarters full lock maneuvers

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You'll only feel it if you turn sharp, which is also the only time it's an issue to be in 4HI on the street. Nothing to worry about, just a step to remember getting back on the pavement.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, but if you take your seat belt off and open the door the Jeep should put the trans in park so you don't get out and run yourself over.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee
I hope to keep software developers like you away from my vehicles. But make it a habit to make a tight turn on pavement at the end of your trip and you'll notice right away if you're still in 4WD.
Does that mean my idea for an insertable anal probe warning device is out?

dang!

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I hope to keep software developers like you away from my vehicles. But make it a habit to make a tight turn on pavement at the end of your trip and you'll notice right away if you're still in 4WD.
This-also there is a bright 4 light on the dash. Believe us, you’ll know you’re in 4wd when you go to make a turn😳

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The software developer in me hopes Jeep or any auto manufacturers would never try implementing some type of warning system like this based off of only a single camera with questionable resolution as the input device, let alone using additional sensors to try and determine something like this lol
Sponsored